Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AC Hardline replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 07:18 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AC Hardline replacement

My mechanical skill level: 6 out of 10

Follow directions level with photos: 8 out of 10

Can I replace the AC hardlines myself if I have no idea what I'm doing, or should I just live with the heat? A shop quoted me $800+ dollars today after I spent $110 on an AC dye diagnostic. I have multiple leaks all over the hardlines coming from the firewall. I can probably get used hardlines for $300'ish, but what's the guarantee that I'll replace them correctly? I don't believe there is actual holes in the hardlines, probably in the connection fittings and rings. Do they sell over the counter dyes that I can enter into my system to check for the leaks myself? Vehicle is a daily driver and it's going to be 90 degrees for the next two months. I wear a full suit and tie everyday. I usually just strip down to a t-shirt and shorts on my commute home on the hot days. Not a nice lifestyle when your 33 years old and own a Lexus if you know what I mean. The compressor works fine if I add some spray can freon from Vatozone. It just leaks out after a week though. It does however squeal terribly when I have the compressor on and turn the wheel hard which is probably caused by air in the system.

Last edited by Tabaka; 06-27-13 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-28-13, 06:13 AM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are products that you can use to seal small leaks. Don't know how well they work but it might get you through this summer.
Old 06-28-13, 01:27 PM
carsmypnis
Driver

the hard lines shouldnt be a problem unless they are rubbing on something like aftermarket air filter(what happened to me) u can buy a dye kit at auto zone and check where is leaking from. there are rubber o rings where two lines connect. that may be the problem as well as your evaporator. which is a common problem on older cars. i will tell you that i dont think is that hard to mess with a/c systems
Old 06-29-13, 05:08 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
My mechanical skill level: 6 out of 10

Follow directions level with photos: 8 out of 10

Can I replace the AC hardlines myself if I have no idea what I'm doing, or should I just live with the heat? A shop quoted me $800+ dollars today after I spent $110 on an AC dye diagnostic. I have multiple leaks all over the hardlines coming from the firewall. I can probably get used hardlines for $300'ish, but what's the guarantee that I'll replace them correctly? I don't believe there is actual holes in the hardlines, probably in the connection fittings and rings. Do they sell over the counter dyes that I can enter into my system to check for the leaks myself? Vehicle is a daily driver and it's going to be 90 degrees for the next two months. I wear a full suit and tie everyday. I usually just strip down to a t-shirt and shorts on my commute home on the hot days. Not a nice lifestyle when your 33 years old and own a Lexus if you know what I mean. The compressor works fine if I add some spray can freon from Vatozone. It just leaks out after a week though. It does however squeal terribly when I have the compressor on and turn the wheel hard which is probably caused by air in the system.
Maybe she had the Herpes attack to avoid boost.
Old 07-01-13, 12:53 PM
GTE4Life
Rookie

I would try the o-rings first, i haven't messed with my AC yet but i have a friend who has fixed several (not SCs) and he said they are not that difficult to work on. I wouldn't replace any hardlines until you have replaced all of the O-rings, and if it is the rubber section of the hard lines i know there are shops that can re-crimp new hose on your existing hard lines for like $60 per line, i think you can fix it for way less than $800.
Old 07-01-13, 12:58 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get em converted to a flexible line, 2x as easy to re install and no more worrying about 20 year old aluminum leaking. PM me direct if you want more info, or just go to your local hose shop.
Old 07-02-13, 07:24 PM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they put dye in the system you will just need a UV light and glasses. You should be able to see where the system was leaking. That stuff sticks around for awhile. They make special O-rings for AC systems that you will want to use. It helps if you use the uv light at night or in a dark garage. Make sure the system is empty before you break it apart. You do not want to release the freon into the air or onto your face because it will come out in a hurry if it is there. If you have access to a vacuum pump and r134 (unless your R12) gauges you can pull a vacuum on it to make sure the leaks are sealed up. You could also fill it on your own if you have the gauges. Low side should be around 30-40 and the high side should be in the 175 to 200 range depending on the temperature outside. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-13, 10:21 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the responses everyone. I haven't driven my car in two weeks, it's just too hot and I haven't had a lot of time. I see these o-ring kits on ebay but I'm not sure which one I'll need. Many of them look like this....

These kits are roughly $15 dollars with little to no description. Let me know if this is what I would like to order and a possible diagram of each seal location.