Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power Steering Pump Leaking Issues After Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 07:55 AM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Leaking Issues After Swap

I’m searching the boards now, but in need of an answer if anyone cares to volunteer opinions. I spotted a leak coming from my ps pump and just assumed it was the notorious pump failure. I’ve done it a few times and have a lifetime warranty from Autozone. I actually thought I was getting out ahead of the leak and saving my alternator.

Well, no. I got it swapped and it is leaking now worse than I have ever seen the thing leak. I went back and replaced the copper crush washers on the high pressure line with the Lexus Original Part to see if that made any difference and it didn’t.

This thing is leaking bone dry now just sitting in the driveway and I can’t spot the leak. It’s coming from the pump – I can tell that much, but I can’t see exactly where. It doesn’t look like it’s the fitting, but I can’t tell if it’s the ‘switch’ on that fitting. I’m really not exactly sure what that vacuum switch is at this point. Speed Sensitive Steering or something else?

My best guess is that it has to be that switch. My alternator is taking a bath in the meantime and I’m sure it’s toast in a matter of days and I still haven’t got the leak traced. Any help appreciated!
Old 12-05-12, 07:57 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What swap did you do? Did you actually rebuild the original one or just replace it with one from Autozone? I ask this when you say I have done it a few times and have a lifetime warranty from Autozone. Wanted to clear some confusion.
Old 12-05-12, 09:56 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

its probably one of two things

1. the high pressure hose leaks where the rubber mates with the metal banjo fitting
2. the vacuum switch fails internally and starts leaking (this usually results in white smoke from the exhaust assuming its still hooked up like factory)
Old 12-05-12, 10:52 AM
BlakOnBlak
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 93MSB
its probably one of two things

1. the high pressure hose leaks where the rubber mates with the metal banjo fitting
2. the vacuum switch fails internally and starts leaking (this usually results in white smoke from the exhaust assuming its still hooked up like factory)
I have a very slow leak coming from my PSP. I have to refill every couple weeks. I notice white smoke sometime coming from my exhaust, but rarely. Sounds like I have the same problem.
Old 12-05-12, 02:21 PM
Fastfwd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the old one and returned it for a remanufactured one from Autozone – which has the lifetime warranty.

I’m actually considering now that this leak could be coming from the bracket where the inlet hose from the reservoir feeds the pump. I didn’t replace that o-ring and I’m curious now it that is the source of my leak.

I can see fluid dripping from the pump itself – which lends to the leak coming from the pump possibly and not further down the chain. If it was the banjo bolt fitting on the hose I think I would see it trail down that hose before it dripped and that’s not happening.

Thanks for the replies.