LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help with options! Power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 07:31 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with options! Power steering pump

So as you can see from the title I'm trying to figure out what to do with my power steering pump. It is leaking and whining...

So what do I do?

1. Get it rebuilt?

2. Replace it with a rebuilt one?

3. Replace with a new aftermarket/oem power steering pump?

What do you think I should do? Or what other options should I try?
Old 03-12-10, 12:26 AM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

Fix it, because if it leaks onto the altenator below it, it will ruin that expensive part.

Sure the PUMP is leaking? Maybe your rack underneath is leaking fluid onto the ground (or bottom engine cover?) so not a threat to the altenator,,,could be a leak from your high pressure hose.

At 135,000 miles, I am living with a leaking rack on my 94 LS400 and refilling pump made noise go away for a while, slow leak, so I tried some ps fluid with "stop leak" in it, which has helped.

Lexus Repair (Shop) Manual shows me rebuilding pump a little too much for me, so would BUY a remanufactured pump if needed.

Read the "Power Steering Bible" thread in the first sticky post on this LS400 forum.

Google "97 LS400 Power Steering" (add "pump") and see what comes up.

Last edited by SLORICK; 03-12-10 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-10, 09:39 PM
Saltair
Driver School Candidate

I've got the same 'weeping' in my '93 LS400 and it has already taken out the alternator ($300bucks). Could adding a sealant to the P/S fluid to rejuvenate the seals help this? do damage to other parts of the steering system?

Any input appreciated.
Old 03-12-10, 11:58 PM
SLORICK
Driver School Candidate

Saltair, DONT, you will probably damage other parts of the steering system using a sealant or "stop leak". It swells the rubber o-rings and seals.

I tried it because I got nothing to loose. PS Rack already leaking and that costs $1,000 and my 94 LS400 is worth $4,000.

Altenator costs $300 and PS Pump above it costs $300?
I read the PS Bible thread in the first sticky on the forum.
I read my Lexus Repair (Shop) Manual PSteer section.
Lots of rubber seals and o-rings in the rack, and Pump. High Pressure Hose and Low Pressure Return Hose. Rack section says impure fluid risks warranty so recommends replacing pump and hoses too.
My pump is good, so altenator OK, so I dont risk ruining a rack that's already ruined, and maybe able to save it. I only drive car weekly to store for smokes as I am retired. It's a slow leak, and I have only used a LITTLE stop leak. While transmission uses Toyota Type F fluid, PSteering uses DEXRON II or III? fluid, so I dont mix generic STP Oil Treatment PS Fluid with it either. So far so good.

YOU should fix that pump, and maybe just an o-ring seal for the resovoir to pump budy housing may fix it. Maybe just front or rear shaft seal. You have to know exactly where your pump is leaking.

Do a search for "altenator shield". Some guy on here posted photo of neat plastic shield for his altenator made out of the bottom half of a Clorox Bottle. Some have said even if you fix PS, it's gonna leak again, so a shield protects the $300 altenator.

Here is another Idea: Check prices for new, rebuilt, junkyard part.
For Hood Support Struts and PS Pump, junkyard price maybe cheap enough to try it first. Gasket/seal/O-Ring kit is cheap. If you time and labor is free, but its money you want to save, If Junkyard pump shows no leaks or evidence of PS fluid from seals, shafts, resovoir, etc. then just try to put it on your car. If you see a leak, fix only THAT seal or O-Ring, then put it on your car. That way you have a spare to put on immediately when you take your original part off. You can then try to fix just the leak you see on your original, and have it as a spare that is ready to put on if/when the junkyard pump leaks again. Adding an altenator shield at the same time, inspecting/replacing the serpentine belt, belt tensioner and idler pulleys at the same time is good idea too.

Last edited by SLORICK; 03-13-10 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-13-10, 09:14 AM
2eXceL
Driver

Can you post some pictures of the leak showing how and where its leaking?
Old 03-13-10, 09:52 AM
5ofakind
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For OEM parts for Lexus....

try www.autohausaz.com

Parts here are the cheapest on the internet.......cheaper than dealer & park place lexus out of Texas....

5 ofakind
Old 03-13-10, 10:36 AM
iamviolet
Rookie

been using lucas treatment for now. till i get the money to repair
Old 03-13-10, 05:43 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

As far as I know, the power steering pump or one of its hoses is leaking. It killed my altenator...

So the car is currently sitting, but I will be getting the power steering pump and altenator replaced with new OEM.
Old 03-30-10, 10:00 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SLORICK
Sure the PUMP is leaking? Maybe your rack underneath is leaking fluid onto the ground (or bottom engine cover?) so not a threat to the altenator,,,could be a leak from your high pressure hose.
You're right it was leaking from the high pressure hose. As for the altenator, apparently it was replaced with an aftermarket altenator that was not putting out enough voltage. Anyways, I'm getting the hose replaced and the altenator replaced with an OEM Denso one.
Old 03-31-10, 07:28 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put in a reman rack from carsteering.com - I believe it was a Maval. The rack seems good, but it came through with a defective solenoid. I took the one off my old rack and sent the original back with the core. Someone had soldered the two wire connector onto the solenoid and the wires were touching (+ and -)... If I posted a picture of the solenoid, a member of CL would probably recognize it (who else would be messing around soldering solenoids!). Anyway, the rack was $285 I believe with a $175 core charge.

Jim
Old 03-31-10, 08:33 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

I'm getting all the work done at a garage. I wonder if I can get them to replace the seals on the rack and power steering pump. Probably a couple more hours of labor.

Also, I've read about the filters in the Power Steering system being clogged up. This is the reason why the hose ends up leaking. Does anyone know how I can tell my mechanic, so that he knows what I'm talking about? I want to get the system cleaned out, so that the high pressure hose doesn't just start leaking again.

By the way I'm debating whether I should go with Sewellpartsonline.com or Lexuspinesparts.com. Sewell's prices are a little more, but shipping is much less. And Pembroke Pine's parts are cheaper, but shipping is more expensive... Any suggestions for one or the other?
Old 03-31-10, 10:12 AM
AzHotLS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The filter you're talking about is the solenoid screen. The solenoid is down on the rack , have them pull it and clean the screen.

Also, have them look at the ACV attached to the lower side of the pump. When it goes bad, it allows fluid to be drawn into the manifold and you'll get a puff of smoke on startup.
Old 03-31-10, 10:41 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AzHotLS
The filter you're talking about is the solenoid screen. The solenoid is down on the rack , have them pull it and clean the screen.

Also, have them look at the ACV attached to the lower side of the pump. When it goes bad, it allows fluid to be drawn into the manifold and you'll get a puff of smoke on startup.
Thanks for that! I will inform him to clean the solenoid screen and check the ACV on the lower side of the pump.

My mechanic actually told me that there was a puff of smoke on start up, so I am thinking this might be what he was referring to. He was thinking that the PCV valve might need cleaning. Or that it was some sort of lack of tune up issue. Apparently this LS400 has not had a tune up in a while.
Old 04-03-10, 10:35 AM
iamviolet
Rookie

so where is the best place to get a power steering pump? www.autohausaz.com didnt have one
Old 04-03-10, 01:31 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

I didn't end up needing a power steering pump. I just needed the high pressure hose. My mechanic sourced a quality aftermarket one for $230.