Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Weard power steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 07:04 PM
Kakaroto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weard power steering problem

Hi every one. I have a weard problem with my 93 sc300 power steering. I removed the the power steering pressure hose because it was damage and send to make a new one. The weard part is that after i put everything back together, the engine started to work eraticly and the sering wheel feels harder than before, and iam stll using the same power steering fluid from advance auto parts that a was using before, wen i had the leack and the steering whell was very smoth. Please any advise would be wonderfull
Old 09-17-12, 07:21 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are supposed to use atf not power steering fluid for our cars and you almost for sure have air in the system as these cars are notoriously hard to bleed.
Old 09-18-12, 03:15 AM
Kakaroto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks alot bro, today i will drain the system and put A/t fluid. I hope the engine works better with this. Thansk a lot
Old 09-18-12, 08:19 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How long did you run the ps fluid? You may have damaged the pump if it was in there for a long time.
But make sure it's bled properly before starting it as it tends to cavitate really bad if there is air in the system.
I had a hell of a time getting the air out of my sc400,
Most cars you can just dump it in and go but not these for some reason lol
Old 09-18-12, 09:52 AM
Kakaroto
Driver School Candidate

Today a went to a friend's house, and after that wen i got home i checked and it loocks like the fluid is coming out of the reservoir through the cap. And a think its not a good sing.
Old 09-18-12, 09:55 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I beg to differ. There's been a lot of arguments on wether to use ATF or PS fluid for our PS system, but in the manual it says you can use either, long as it has the same or equivalent grade, but ATF IS recommended. Bleeding the system is very easy actually, just gotta have patience. I just did this on Raine's SC a week ago when I replaced his rack & pinion. Took less than 10 mins.

Directions;
1. Lift front end on jack stands.
2. Fill reservoir with ATF/PS fluid.
3. Turn steering wheel lock to lock for about 20-30 times and make sure to fill/refill reservoir with fluid. (Until the whining sound of the PS system is inaudible.)
3. Once the whining sound disappears/inaudible, turn steering wheel lock to lock with 5-10 second pauses for about 5-10 times while making sure fluid is at the right level and bubbles in the reservoir slowly disappears.
4. DONE.

NOTE: Fluid might overflow while turning the steering wheel lock to lock, so make sure you have a rag wrapped around the reservoir to catch the fluid.
Old 09-18-12, 05:18 PM
Kakaroto
Driver School Candidate

I did exatly as you told me. I also went to buy dexron III A/T and bleeded the system by moving the steering wheel side to side and lock side to side and when i turn the wheel lock to the right it erups
Old 09-18-12, 05:45 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That's normal for the fluid to come out when you hit lock to lock. There's pressure inside, so without the cover there's no other way out but up.

Hold up, I just realized you have a different problem rather than air in the system. I think your problem is the ventilation hoses not being connected. That can make you car run erratically, bog down or idle differently. The ventilation hoses help the engine maintain idle when PS pump is working. There's one attached to the manifold and another one in the air intake, then both lines lead to the PS pump right where the high pressure hose attaches to.

Last edited by OG Dada; 09-18-12 at 05:52 PM.