Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

350Z trans adapter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 06:39 PM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah you might be best off moving forward as you have it now with a new bushing welded on.
Old 05-20-15, 07:22 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Quick update that I'm now at 545hp on this trans with the Collins adapter kit, and JWT Flywheel & JWT Clutch.

And again awesome progress Ali. May have to try this next time i have ghe trans out.

Last edited by Halon; 05-20-15 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 07:43 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

If you took your current idea, and had the bushing sit into a well, but made it sit far enough down in there that it couldn't pop out, and you had room to push the whole shifter downward to get under the lockout plate..you could use a miata/rx-8 type of shifter, no?

Last edited by jkpgt96; 05-21-15 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 08:56 AM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Default 350Z to JZ setup that Im running

Im currently in the process of doing the CD009 to JZ swap. If you look in my build thread you will see that Im using the hoke performance shifter relocation and had a welder that has done this swap modify my stock 350Z shifter. heres the link to my thread and the post # is 28.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...c3t-build.html

I will try to get more pictures as I progress right now my buddy is in the process of beating the trans tunnel in some.
Old 05-21-15, 09:07 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Halon those are some nice numbers, how is the clutch feel and how is it holding that type of power?
got a dyno =)

jkp, yeah I think you are on point on the bushing, I was wondering the same thing after I saw the rx8 one it looks to me like the whole shifter moves down. if the bushing was deep enough I would think it would work just fine.
the 240sx base fits pretty well but it has extra springs in it to keep the shifter centered which stiffens things up. those springs can be cut down so its a little softer which I did, but its funny that the shifter base is designed so the shifter could move up and down, it just doesn't.

I'll play around with the idea but I am thinking about a new one let me know what you think. I feel like a reverse lockout sleeve is the best as it keeps all the linkage simple and tight down below.
take the 240sx shifter rod, right where it comes out of the shifter base cut the top half off, then weld the top portion of a v160 short shifter on it with the whole lockout mechanism. the shifter would be straight from the part you weld it but you can have a small bend at the bottom. it comes with all the stuff you would need to make reverse mechanism work, and best part we can use toyota shift ***** again (nissan has a different thread pitch).
they are about $60 online.

It even looks like you can put the v160 lockout sleeve over the top half of the 240sx shifter where its narrow asthey both have orings up there on the narrow part of the shaft, but the 240sx shifter isn't narrow all the way down its thicker at the bottom so unless we turn it down on a lathe that wouldn't work cause the lockout needs to be close to the bottom. I may order one of these and play around with it some.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-21-15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-21-15, 10:08 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Halon those are some nice numbers, how is the clutch feel and how is it holding that type of power?
got a dyno =)
Post 570
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9047299

Clutch feel is fine, and clutch is holding fine so far. It's still a single full face disc type setup, so no real chatter. Pedal is heavier than stock but nothing crazy, I guess I'm used to heavier pedals anyway, my past car I ran an ACT 2900.
Old 05-21-15, 10:22 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
got a dyno =)

jkp, yeah I think you are on point on the bushing, I was wondering the same thing after I saw the rx8 one it looks to me like the whole shifter moves down. if the bushing was deep enough I would think it would work just fine.
the 240sx base fits pretty well but it has extra springs in it to keep the shifter centered which stiffens things up. those springs can be cut down so its a little softer which I did, but its funny that the shifter base is designed so the shifter could move up and down, it just doesn't.

I'll play around with the idea but I am thinking about a new one let me know what you think. I feel like a reverse lockout sleeve is the best as it keeps all the linkage simple and tight down below.
take the 240sx shifter rod, right where it comes out of the shifter base cut the top half off, then weld the top portion of a v160 short shifter on it with the whole lockout mechanism. the shifter would be straight from the part you weld it but you can have a small bend at the bottom. it comes with all the stuff you would need to make reverse mechanism work, and best part we can use toyota shift ***** again (nissan has a different thread pitch).
they are about $60 online.

It even looks like you can put the v160 lockout sleeve over the top half of the 240sx shifter where its narrow asthey both have orings up there on the narrow part of the shaft, but the 240sx shifter isn't narrow all the way down its thicker at the bottom so unless we turn it down on a lathe that wouldn't work cause the lockout needs to be close to the bottom. I may order one of these and play around with it some.
I understand what you are saying..kind of.

I don't understand how the lockout would work if the part of the shifter that the sleeve is on is not centered in the shifter base any longer. Would you add something to the lockout plate to pickup the new location of the sleeve?

I am glad you are thinking the current setup with a different bushing/cup might work too..pretty simple and could be a fall back if your new idea doesn't work out.
Old 05-21-15, 10:29 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Originally Posted by 95SC3T
Im currently in the process of doing the CD009 to JZ swap. If you look in my build thread you will see that Im using the hoke performance shifter relocation and had a welder that has done this swap modify my stock 350Z shifter. heres the link to my thread and the post # is 28.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...c3t-build.html

I will try to get more pictures as I progress right now my buddy is in the process of beating the trans tunnel in some.
Looks good! How is the fit in the opening?

I have been talking to Brett F. for a while now keeping tabs on his build and such. He has been very helpful!
Old 05-21-15, 10:47 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

If the way Ali has it right now has really tight shifting 1-6, and Reverse really does require you to go way over, meaning the chances of accidentally going into reverse on a 5 to 6 are pretty much nil, I'd be willing to just forgo the lockout. And really how often are you slamming a 5-6 shift extremely fast? I can see slamming 1-4 a lot while doing some spirited driving, but 6th, me personally not to concerned. So Ali once you sort of finalize your non-lockout setup, I might have to give that a shot some day.
Old 05-21-15, 10:51 AM
jkpgt96
Rookie

Yeah, that is true.

I had a 2002 Maxima 6-speed for many years and even without the lockout it would have been very obvious going into reverse versus 6th. I am fine without the lockout as well..this has got me thinking about how to add it since I don't have anything in my car currently anyway, lol.
Old 05-21-15, 11:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Post 570
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post9047299

Clutch feel is fine, and clutch is holding fine so far. It's still a single full face disc type setup, so no real chatter. Pedal is heavier than stock but nothing crazy, I guess I'm used to heavier pedals anyway, my past car I ran an ACT 2900.
Thats impressive, and glad you got a good tune on there, should be tons of fun.
I really like that a single full face disc is holding that, what pressure plate you on?
I think I want the same thing tired of 6 puck chatter over here.

Originally Posted by jkpgt96
I understand what you are saying..kind of.

I don't understand how the lockout would work if the part of the shifter that the sleeve is on is not centered in the shifter base any longer. Would you add something to the lockout plate to pickup the new location of the sleeve?

I am glad you are thinking the current setup with a different bushing/cup might work too..pretty simple and could be a fall back if your new idea doesn't work out.
it would be cut off low enough that the v160 shifter would start right at the top of the mount.
if you see there is a plate with a nut welded onto it, you bolt that to the side and there is a screw you can adjust that hits the sleeve when you want it to, keeping it from going in reverse till you lift the sleeve. as you can see that bracket with the screw is an inch or so above wherever you mount it, so there would be space.

I will try and make some hybrid of the 2 shifters, I am sure once its in my hands it wont be that hard. instead of turning down the shaft maybe I could just make the hole in the sleeve larger and then use the sleeve on the 240 shifter as is. Ill let you guys know the v160 shifter is a few weeks out.

Originally Posted by Halon
If the way Ali has it right now has really tight shifting 1-6, and Reverse really does require you to go way over, meaning the chances of accidentally going into reverse on a 5 to 6 are pretty much nil, I'd be willing to just forgo the lockout. And really how often are you slamming a 5-6 shift extremely fast? I can see slamming 1-4 a lot while doing some spirited driving, but 6th, me personally not to concerned. So Ali once you sort of finalize your non-lockout setup, I might have to give that a shot some day.
yeah, one could do without it but its probably nice to have. its not easy to hit reverse from 5th, but lets say if you were in neutral and you just wanted to find 6th, there is a chance it could go in reverse then unless you have memorized how little you have to move it to the right before going down. I thought I would be find with it also in the longrun but since I have most of the summer to finalize a plan, I am sure whatever I end up with will have a reverse lockout, cause once its in the car I don't see it coming out for a while if I decide I can't live without reverse lockout.

I dont mind cutting and welding if the shift geometry will be fine in the end, but I wont sacrifice shift feel. I like the sleeve the v160 uses cause the plate at the bottom has an adjustment on it, the stock rx8 and 350z do not have adjustments so if you change the geometry enough it probably wouln't lock you out of 6th anymore.

Yeah, that is true.

I had a 2002 Maxima 6-speed for many years and even without the lockout it would have been very obvious going into reverse versus 6th. I am fine without the lockout as well..this has got me thinking about how to add it since I don't have anything in my car currently anyway, lol.
I think I will be able to solve it with the v160 shifter parts. I just mess with it when I have spare time since its just sitting in the garage in front of the SC lol. by end of summer I should be happy with some setup I imagine.

its already shifting good with the 240 setup, just needs a little more finess and the reverse lockout. IF I can come up with a way to make it even shorter that would be nice as well but out of ideas on that front.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-21-15 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-23-15, 03:38 AM
95SC3T
Pole Position

Looks good! How is the fit in the opening?

I have been talking to Brett F. for a while now keeping tabs on his build and such. He has been very helpful!
Well I am currently working on getting this in. But according to brett it should fit great. He said that he didn't have to modify the shifter surround, but I will try to get pics when I start putting my trans in. Just keep an eye on my thread.
Old 05-25-15, 06:19 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I have the JWT 350z metallic clutch. Also the JWT flywheel.
Old 05-25-15, 03:14 PM
95SC3T
Pole Position

this swap sucks! Wished I would have saved my money and just went with a V160 swap. The trans is almost in but not quite. there is no room in the tunnel even after you beat the crap out of it. Had to loosen the motor mount nuts ( I have solid motor mounts ) and jack the front of the engine up just to even get the trans started. once this clutch goes I will be doing the V160 swap.
Old 05-26-15, 06:00 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, I was waiting for that.

Quick Reply: 350Z trans adapter?