Build Threads Details on Club Lexus SC owner vehicles

Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-11, 07:40 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm somewhat new to the world of Stand-alones. But from what I understand, it's pretty typical for most standalones to have a feature like this.

http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/

That is the program Megasquirt uses for tuning. Towards the bottom where it talks about VE Analyze Live, that is the "Auto-Tune" feature.

In a nutshell, you have a 3D VE Fuel MAP. LOAD along the Y-axis, RPM along the X-axis. So depending on what RPM you are at, and what LOAD you are at, you are using the VE setting in that cell for fuel compensation. If you are running too rich or lean, that is how you adjust your fuel compenstaion, you change the value in the VE table.

Then, they have a separate AFR table. This table doesn't actually change your fuel compensation. It's just a table (similar look/feel as the VE table) that you simply type in the target AFR you'd like to be at in each cell. Then when you enable the Auto-Tune and drive around, when you are in a certain cell and you have entered in a target AFR of 14.0 for that cell, but when you're driving it's actually at 13 (becaue the VE table setting is off), the program automatically starts adjusting the VE table until it is at 14.0. Pretty handy for newbs like me.

Make sense? Pretty sure it's good for cruising around type tune, but when in comes to WOT, I'm not counting on Auto-tune for that...
Old 08-19-11, 02:04 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Well made a discovery last night. Realised that I have no IAT sensor anymore since I ditched the stock MAS. Because of that, my IAT signal in MS was sometimes at -40*, and sometimes at 170*, and sometimes some blip in between there. That caused some random bouncing around in my AFR's.

So I will eventually have to get some kind of IAT sensor installed. But for the time being, I've bolted the stock MAS down in the engine bay, and plugged it back in. That way I atleast have a signal so it doesn't bounce around, and it atleast corresponds to the temp in the engine bay.

Car is cruising around and idling much better now. However I do need to tweak some of the settings now because I was tuning around that goofy issue this whole time before realising it. Oh well no big deal.

Anyhow, here's a quick little vid I put together for you guys to see how she drives around town. Maybe Megasquirt will start to get seen as an affordable option to consider, and grow in popularity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59L06JGwnrc
Old 08-20-11, 07:45 AM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yanno that made me think. do the 1jz engines have an Intake Air Temp sensor? i didnt see it on the harness
Old 08-22-11, 06:59 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, I have no clue man, sorry. I did just order up one of these though:
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/g...tail-p-62.html

Tune appointment setup for Monday of next week with Shane at DB Performance Can't wait. For some reason I fully expect to find some issues while on the dyno, which is OK because it seems like that's the point. Uncover issues never noticed on the streets, and hopefully end up with a full tune, or a small action item list of things to fix for the next dyno appointment

Also I drove it appx 400miles this weekend to Ottertail and back. It drives around excellent! WOT is still a bad idea (ignition break up) but as far as cruising around/low throttle/part throttle/idle, all is doing just great! I averaged a speed of around 75mph on the trip up there, and got 19mpg on E85 at AFR's right around 15-15.5 mostly. Also hit a bit of rush hour that I'm sure didn't help. But im hoping once the car is really running well, consider going to a slightly leaner burn at hwy cruising speeds to try and better that.

And also ordered up a dozen BCPR7ES spark plugs so I have some in hand in case we need to change them out on the dyno for any reason Getting ready!!

Last edited by Halon; 08-23-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 08:10 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Just bought all the parts required for the IS300 ignition setup (IS300 coils & wires, DS62 igniter). This will have to be done post dyno tune, but still it'll be exciting to ditch that big ugly distributor.
Old 08-23-11, 07:04 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Since I'm probably going to wait until winter to install the new ignition setup, I decided to spend $20 at Vatozone, and throw on a new Distributor Cap & Rotor. Figured its worth my peace of mind, and ensure my spark is as strong as possible for my upcoming dyno appointment.

Upon removal of the old rotor, I decided I am quite glad I replaced it, it looked a bit rough. First attached pic is the old rotor. 2nd pic is the new one installed.

Also decided to do a boost leak test. Tested it up to 30psi and found 2 leaks that I fixed (Thanks Mo ).

I think I'm as prepared as I can be for the dyno appointment on Monday. If an issue arrises on the dyno, then oh well so be it. But I think I'm as prepared as I can get for it!
Attached Thumbnails Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-bad-dist-rotor.jpg   Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-good-new-rotor.jpg  
Old 08-29-11, 06:11 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Got the IS300 ignition setup in the mail. Was planning on installing it this winter but ignition issues are making me reconsider.

Also bought some raw materials that I will be using to make my own FFIM. Spending over $800 on an aftermarket plenum, yeah right

Lastly, hopped on the dyno today for my first official tune. Low throttle type stuff is pretty good. WOT is an issue. I'm not completely sure what the issue is yet, but soon as I was hitting about 8psi the car would break up really bad. Tried a bunch of stuff in the tune but nothing really helped. We swapped out the coil, coil to cap wire, and igniter with one from the shops car. Seemed to improve a lot but boost shot way up (we thought it would be around 15psi steady). Think I may have hooked up to the wrong Port on the WG. Decided to call it a night. I'll be fixing the WG port issue, and then using the parts off his car, see if the break-up goes away. May just be my coil is degraded.
Big thanks to Shane at DB Performance for doing his best with her on the dyno. Will have to get the stuff fixed on my end and bring it back.
Attached Thumbnails Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-is300-ignition-components.jpg   Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-fmim-raw-material.jpg   Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-dyno-1.jpg  

Last edited by Halon; 08-29-11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 06:15 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the video was removed...

wtf does SME mean?? lol
Old 08-29-11, 06:19 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

What are you talking about?
Old 08-29-11, 07:13 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a solid billet of aluminum? What design are you going for?
Old 08-29-11, 08:30 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

No, it is 0.125" wall square extruded aluminum (4x4). As for the design, it's not set in stone. I have some rough drawings drafted up, which told me how much material to buy. But the actual end result will come when I'm actually building it and test fitting it.

I like the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) moto. So my goals for this manifold were simplicity, functionality, and ultimately affordability. Of course I'm keeping aesthetics in mind as well, but this will not be as extravagent as some of the $800+ manifolds that are out there, but on that same note I don't want it to look like complete a$$ either. But I'm definately willing to give up some bling/wow factor if it means it still works but will cost less than half of what these other things cost.
Old 08-29-11, 08:36 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Well big thanks to Shane for letting me borrow parts from his car. I did some troubleshooting tonight and looks like I've narrowed down my mis-fire issues to my old degraded coil. With his coil, the car hasn't mis-fired yet. I do have a spare coil laying around I believe. I will try that tomorrow and if it works then great. If not, then I will be on the hunt for a new coil.

Also found out that I had made a mistake hooking up my wastegate. That is now fixed as well. Think I will see what the dyno schedule looks like for next week and try again
Old 08-29-11, 08:58 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Well made a discovery last night. Realised that I have no IAT sensor anymore since I ditched the stock MAS. Because of that, my IAT signal in MS was sometimes at -40*, and sometimes at 170*, and sometimes some blip in between there. That caused some random bouncing around in my AFR's.

So I will eventually have to get some kind of IAT sensor installed. But for the time being, I've bolted the stock MAS down in the engine bay, and plugged it back in. That way I atleast have a signal so it doesn't bounce around, and it atleast corresponds to the temp in the engine bay.

Car is cruising around and idling much better now. However I do need to tweak some of the settings now because I was tuning around that goofy issue this whole time before realising it. Oh well no big deal.

Anyhow, here's a quick little vid I put together for you guys to see how she drives around town. Maybe Megasquirt will start to get seen as an affordable option to consider, and grow in popularity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59L06JGwnrc
Originally Posted by cmh
the video was removed...

wtf does SME mean?? lol
Originally Posted by Halon
What are you talking about?
this is what i was talking about... sorry im late didnt get to see ur vid. when i click it it say unavailable due to SME... lol
Old 08-29-11, 09:00 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

No idea. Video works fine for me, I have no idea about the SME message you speak of.
Old 08-30-11, 03:39 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Did some more troubleshooting. Problem was definately my old coil. Luckily my spare junkyard coil appears to be good. Boosting at 10-12psi on the junkyard spare, and no signs of misfires Dyno appt has been setup for next Tuesday, should be more successful this time around
Attached Thumbnails Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-junkyard-coil.jpg   Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)-coils.jpg  

Quick Reply: Project Lex (92 Royal Jade SC300)