Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

w58 clutch install diy

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-12, 07:47 AM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default w58 clutch install diy

okay clutch installs. if you dont know what your doin stop now. save yourself the time and hassle and just pay somebody reputable to do it.
i did this one by myself. not recommended.

with that said. disconnect the battery for safety sake.

i removed my center console to give even more room.

jack your car up to give yourself some room.

once its up drain your tranny fluid. if you dont its gonna spill out the output shaft.
i used a 15/16 socket for it but it felt a little loose.

next your gonna wanna go up top and remove your swan neck before you get too nasty.
its FOUR 10mm bolts on the outer boot then another FOUR 10mm bolts holding the swan neck in place.

this is the swan neck/dog leg/ what have you. while youve got it out you might as well replace the TWO bushings on it if youve bought them ahead of time.
part numbers :33505-35020; 33548-31010. it helps and theyre dirt cheap. just do it now.

after all that i dropped my exhuast out of the way. mine had TWO 14mm bolts at the front but im guessin everyones will be diff. from there i took off the 12mm bolts at the hangers so the exhuast can slide out of the way. theres FOUR in total.

mine still has the heat shield on it. its FOUR 10mm bolts.

from there take the center yoke of the driveshaft out. its TWO 14mm boltson the center yoke. then you have to take off the FOUR 14mm bolts holding the drive shafts together. it'll slide out pretty easy.

take off the slave cylinder. its got TWO 12mm bolts holding it. now pop loose the wopping TWO plugs so theres nothing else to catch on you.

now i dont know the "proper" way to do it as im sure there will be someone to disagree with me.
but i go ahead and put the jack under the tranny and put a little tension. then i take out the cross member. its got FOUR 14mm bolts. then while your at it remove your tranny mount. its FOUR 14mm bolts.

now start loosening the tranny bolts but do it slowly. by slowly i mean dont just remove them and move to the next one. leaveum in still grabbin until youve got all of them broken loose.

just tryin to give you some idea of what your lookin at. loosen the top bolts first if you can manage it. 17mm bolts. theyre tricky.

then work your way around it looseninf as you go while backing the tranny and jack up and lowerin as you go. you my have to pry on it a bit as you go.

i gave mine a good tug or two to get it to pop out.

so now its out replace your throw out bearing. just simple clips.
now pull out the worn out clutch SIX 12mm bolts and a bit of prying it pops out.

the pilot bearing...... dear god the pilot bearing. you need to find a small pully puller. GM makes one. there are plenty of other ways to remove it but i find this to be the easiest.

reinstall the new one with a socket the same size and tap it lightly!!!!.

anyway reinstall it all once your done gloatin. welp hope it helps .
Old 03-17-12, 08:19 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good deal!!!
Old 03-17-12, 11:03 AM
ArodDaLob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some quick tips
for the top 2 17mm bolts, unbolt the tranny mount plate and lower it a bit with a jack, then stack about 5 extensions and a short 17mm socket head and break them loose from behind the tranny assuming the driveshaft is out.
Also, for the pilot bearing, o'reilly rents out slide hammers and a hook for pilot bearings. The hook was too big for the sc's pilot bearing so I just took off the rubber band and used one side of the hook to bang out the pilot bearing. Came out in like 5 seconds, and just cost me the gas to get to/from o'reilly.
If you or a friend has any kind of tranny jack, use it. I got mine from habor freight for 70$ and it allowed me to completely drop the tranny and put it back in by myself.
Lastly, if you're going to do the clutch, might as well do the flywheel as well, which are 12pt 14mm and I forget the specs for stock (i think something like 35ft/lbs + another 90* turn), but the arp flywheel bolts are 75ft/lbs, and don't reuse stock bolts. Pressure plate bolts are recommended that you don't reuse them, but if you're REALLY strapped for cash and can't afford the $10 for new ones, then I think it'd be fine to reuse them.
Old 08-14-23, 10:34 AM
bbyatv
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the very helpful set of instructions. One thing I was missing was how high to jack up the car so I could get the tranny out of there. I guessed 22 inches and got lucky. Also do not forget the bolt that holds the shift level to the transmission.

Here is a link to some photos I posted that show some of the W58 transmission dimensions.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...le-photos.html

Bruce