Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Power steering leak at snap ring & o ring.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 04:50 PM
davekuhar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering leak at snap ring & o ring.

I have a 1997 SC400. I have a leak on the power steering pump. The leak is located at the snap ring / o ring for the Flow Control Valve. Of coarse the pump was replaced last summer with a rebuilt pump. It looks like the snap ring just decided to come loose. Looking at the spring seat ( the part the snap ring holds in) it appears to be a little crooked and is leaking there ( it has leaked on the alternator and now I have to replace the alternator, DON'T IGNOR THESE LEAKS.). Can I just buy a new snap ring and o ring? What size do I need? How hard is it to repair once I remove the pump from the vehicle? What's the best way to go about this? I have the alternator off right now and have the replacement ready to go back on, but I want to repair this leak first. Oh yeah after I refill the ps system with atf do you really have to jack up the front end off the ground and turn the wheel left / right with the engine off to eliminate the air in the system? Thanks for any input.

Last edited by davekuhar; 12-27-10 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-26-10, 12:39 PM
davekuhar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Got the problem resolved. Here's how. Located the leak at opposite side of the flow control valve (this is a recently installed rebuilt item, 4 months in service) where the snap ring is located. The snap ring had partially come out. So I loosened the mounting bolts and slid the pump forward to gain access ( I had to unbolt the reservoir to have some play for forward movement). Then pushed the spring seat down to get the mechanical pressure off the snap ring, then centered the spring seat, repositioned the snap ring making sure it was fully expanded and in the groove properly. Bolted everything back up. Got it all back together, eliminated the air from the system, tested for leaks. all is good now.