Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Axle Back Install Question (Stock muffler Removal)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 02:00 PM
JKBHEAT
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axle Back Install Question (Stock muffler Removal)

I went to install my RMM axle-back system this morning but I ran into a problem. I couldn't get the bolts off to remove of the stock mufflers. I've been soaking them with WD-40 all day but no luck.

After looking closer, it seems that the edge of the bolts are welded in place (or held by some king of putty that has hardened over the years). Is this normal? Is there any simple way to remove it without going to a shop? Anyone else have any problems removing the stock mufflers?
Old 04-28-10, 02:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its rusted on, they are supposed to be removable.
you could try some pb blaster overnight too, and use a breaker on it. its really not worth the effort though, invest in a dremel or grinder and you will never have to worry bout bolts again.
My method of choice is the angle grinder (or you can use a cutting wheel), and just grind the head of the bolt clean off... you wouldn't want to re-use them anyways.
tap whats left out with a screwdriver, install new axle-back, use new shiny bolts + gasket.
enjoy!
Old 04-28-10, 03:19 PM
JKBHEAT
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
its rusted on, they are supposed to be removable.
you could try some pb blaster overnight too, and use a breaker on it. its really not worth the effort though, invest in a dremel or grinder and you will never have to worry bout bolts again.
My method of choice is the angle grinder (or you can use a cutting wheel), and just grind the head of the bolt clean off... you wouldn't want to re-use them anyways.
tap whats left out with a screwdriver, install new axle-back, use new shiny bolts + gasket.
enjoy!
It's definitely not just rust; there is a big lump (looks like it's welded) on each side of each bolt. But I do have a dremel .

One more question what are the dimensions on the bolts (can they be bought at a hardware store or are they some unique type) and also where can I find those gaskets?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-10, 03:24 PM
JKBHEAT
Driver

Also, what is the exact name of that gasket that needs to be replaced? It seems I'm finding every other gasket except for the one I need.
Old 04-30-10, 03:15 AM
Subjug4tor
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try turning the nut on the other side. the bolt is welded in place, with a nut on the other side.