Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Should I change my SC400 AT Tranny fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 10:03 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I change my SC400 AT Tranny fluid?

Here's the thing. I do not know if the cars tranny fluid has ever been changed before. The original timing belt was still on at 130K, so I'm assuming no...

I check out the dip stick and when I place some fluid on my finger it just looks somewhat darkish red. I smell it and it just smells funny, but I really don't know what to tell you if it smelt burnt. I was not a burnt smell it think...

So how should I go about doing the change, if at all? I know that the tranny does not flush all fluid at once when you open it up under the car, so what the scenario to take? Change it slowly? Fluid recommendations? Remember, it's an automatic.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the car does seem to shift fairly well... Pretty normal from what I have heard from other members on here.
Old 12-09-09, 10:08 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if you think it's funny then it won't hurt to do a drain and fill...just get 2-3 quarts of type 4 ATF from Toyota and put it in from underneath...it will shift even smoother. I've been doing one every oil changes to get rid of the old fluid rather than doing a risky flush
Old 12-10-09, 08:14 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Why couldn't I just put it in through the dip stick hole under the hood? I don't have the tools to put it in through the bottom.
Old 12-10-09, 08:15 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

well you got to drain some of the old fluid out or else you will overfill it...plus by draining it out, you will get rid of some of the metal particles in the fluid
Old 12-10-09, 08:22 PM
MarcusMIA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaydee
well you got to drain some of the old fluid out or else you will overfill it...plus by draining it out, you will get rid of some of the metal particles in the fluid
I got you, I must have misunderstood something before. I should just go with toyota fluid? There's nothing aftermarket out there that's better?
Old 12-10-09, 09:27 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Toyota Type T-IV is the only transmission fluid you should use in your SC400. Read and you shall be informed:

http://planetsoarer.com/autotrans/autotrans.htm

I did a full flush and had no negative consequences. Most will recommend you change it out incrementally which is the safest route to go.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 12-10-09 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-10-09, 10:58 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Not suppose to use any fluid other than Toyota Type T-IV? Hhhhhmmmm... Now I guess I need to cross my fingers. I changed mine maybe about 2 months back with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. So far so good. Shifts very smooth. I'd like to drain it again as it looked really dirty the first time I drain it. I to will just drain and refill a few times rather than doing a flush.... A friend of mine works for Toyota. He says their flush process was exact same thing as if you were to flush your power steering fluid... Disconnect the return hose of the tranny from the transmission (where ever it might be), then they put approximately 8 quarts of fresh ATF. When they see the fluid clears, the drain the whole thing then refill.
Old 12-13-09, 09:16 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would change it if I were you. My local Toyota/Lexus indy shop recently serviced my SC's auto tranny for $135. Worth every penny.
Old 12-13-09, 09:22 AM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, do not forget to change your diff fluid as well, many owners have a tendency to forget about servicing the good ole differential (they WILL wear out if neglected and not properly serviced as perscribed by the service manual intervals). Personally, I run Redline products in all my cars diff's.