Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

tranny fluid change?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-06, 08:44 PM
onlylexus8
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny fluid change?

ive done a fair amount of searching on this topic. i understand one of the best fluids to use on our w58 ( 5spd sc300) is mobil 1, 75w-30.

what i need to know is how to do the actual fluid change, ive read some talk of draining the fluid thru the bottom of the tranny and refilling it thru the shifter, but i dont really understand this.

does anyone have a how to ( prefereably with pics) on changing the tranny fluid. or if someone wants to break it down for me, thats would be cool. i have 138k on the original fluid, so i need a change.

all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-10-06, 09:02 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

I am currently running redline fluid which seems to give me a smoother shift. Im not sure if that was attributed to the redline fluild or just beacuse new fluid was in the tranny. I assuming the previous owner of my car never changed the fluid seeing that the car wasn't really taken care of when i bought her.

The actual fuild change is pretty easy There is a drain bolt under the tranny. It's a pretty big bolt and should be the only one thats on the underside of the tranny. The size of the bolt is a 22 or 24 i believe but am not 100% positive. The fill hole bolt, which is smaller than the drain bolt, is on the dirver side and is also fairly noticable. I used a pump with a tube to pump the fluid in to the tranny until it came out of the fill hole. I don't have any pics but can snap some when i get back from japan for you. I think if you get under the car you'll be able to locate the fill and drain without a problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

-Kevin
Old 01-10-06, 09:18 PM
onlylexus8
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
I am currently running redline fluid which seems to give me a smoother shift. Im not sure if that was attributed to the redline fluild or just beacuse new fluid was in the tranny. I assuming the previous owner of my car never changed the fluid seeing that the car wasn't really taken care of when i bought her.

The actual fuild change is pretty easy There is a drain bolt under the tranny. It's a pretty big bolt and should be the only one thats on the underside of the tranny. The size of the bolt is a 22 or 24 i believe but am not 100% positive. The fill hole bolt, which is smaller than the drain bolt, is on the dirver side and is also fairly noticable. I used a pump with a tube to pump the fluid in to the tranny until it came out of the fill hole. I don't have any pics but can snap some when i get back from japan for you. I think if you get under the car you'll be able to locate the fill and drain without a problem.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

-Kevin
yeah, it that all there is to it? it seems pretty simple. i appreciate all the help.

do you have any other pointers/tips?