Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Can the rotor, distributor cap be changed easily?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-09, 09:15 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can the rotor, distributor cap be changed easily?

I just had all 8 of my spark plugs replaced by a shop in Milpitas. The tech there forgot to check my cap/rotor to see if they need to be replaced I guess now I'll have to do it myself since I'm going to do my front brakes anyway. Are they easily accessible? For the '96 sc400 that means two caps and two rotors right? Thanks,
Old 07-12-09, 09:25 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to take the big cover off the top 3 bolts. Then take off both plastic covers that cover the timing belt. Passengers side you just have to take the flexible rubber tube off not the whole air box. The upper plastic piece that is before the throttle body has to come out also. Its not the most cake job in the world ,but its not the hardest. 2 caps and rotors and while you have it opened check out the timing belt if it hasn't been done already. It will take you about a hour or a little bit more if you want to check everything out and all.
Old 07-12-09, 11:11 AM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
You have to take the big cover off the top 3 bolts. Then take off both plastic covers that cover the timing belt. Passengers side you just have to take the flexible rubber tube off not the whole air box. The upper plastic piece that is before the throttle body has to come out also. Its not the most cake job in the world ,but its not the hardest. 2 caps and rotors and while you have it opened check out the timing belt if it hasn't been done already. It will take you about a hour or a little bit more if you want to check everything out and all.
So will I have to remove the serpentine belt too, from what Ryeno wrote above? Thanks,

Damn that John at the shop! I already asked him over and over to check for these parts. I just failed to put this "checking" on the receipt so it was conveniently forgotten.