Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So the gas filter is rusted on the line..what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-09, 07:57 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So the gas filter is rusted on the line..what to do?

the gas filter is pretty rusted on the line and i guess the previous owners/mechanics just rounded the fittings to make it interesting.

so there's no way i can wrench this off. i don't think vice grips can go either just because the line is rusty too (around the filter).

so what are my choices?

do i cut the lines and stick rubber hoses and use an universal filter?
do i flare it 37 degrees for AN fittings and use an AN filter?
replace the line with used OEM line?
anything else?

thanks for the info.
Old 05-25-09, 09:34 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say flare it and go with AN fittings.
Old 05-25-09, 10:34 PM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First go get another fuel filter, preferably oem toyota denso. Go to a junkyard and find any toyota car. Check the filter plugs to see if they match your filter, if so cut them from the car. Then go to your local auto store and get some high pressure (fuel) tubing , preferably ones who diameter is SLIGHTLY larger then the fuel tubing, and some hose clamps. Cut your metal hose with one of these:

Just use some hose clamps and connect them to were you cut the old ones. Tighten with a racket. Trust me it will hold and will cost you less then 15 dollars.
Old 05-26-09, 02:18 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Titan triple fuel pump hangar, three walboro 255's, and steel braided line! Do it! hehe
Old 05-26-09, 04:42 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally Posted by OneJay
Titan triple fuel pump hangar, three walboro 255's, and steel braided line! Do it! hehe
THREE walbros?? are you feeding a jet engine?
Old 05-26-09, 04:45 AM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ryeno
First go get another fuel filter, preferably oem toyota denso. Go to a junkyard and find any toyota car. Check the filter plugs to see if they match your filter, if so cut them from the car. Then go to your local auto store and get some high pressure (fuel) tubing , preferably ones who diameter is SLIGHTLY larger then the fuel tubing, and some hose clamps. Cut your metal hose with one of these:

Just use some hose clamps and connect them to were you cut the old ones. Tighten with a racket. Trust me it will hold and will cost you less then 15 dollars.
this seems like the easiest (cheapest) solution.
would the rubber line hold on the tubing? do i have to bead the tubing?
any idea what size line is on the car? 5/16?
Old 05-26-09, 02:18 PM
Ryeno
Banned

My one was rubber but it was from an auto parts store and specially marked as high pressure fuel line tubing. You dont need to bead it. Just go the auto parts store with the fuel line(after you cut it from the junkyard) and have them match it up on the spot. When i did this, i had like less then a 1 in gap where the tubing was instead of the pipe. Its been holding for over a year.
Old 05-26-09, 03:34 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

What I did is cut the line at both ends, attached compression fittings to the line and got some matching diameter fuel line. used a tubing bender to get the angle I needed to place the fuel filter in the stock location. Here's a picture of what I did.

I don't know what happened to my fuel filter holder, but I need to find a new screw lol
Attached Thumbnails So the gas filter is rusted on the line..what to do?-084.jpg  
Old 05-26-09, 06:33 PM
mktbully
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Durrr
What I did is cut the line at both ends, attached compression fittings to the line and got some matching diameter fuel line. used a tubing bender to get the angle I needed to place the fuel filter in the stock location. Here's a picture of what I did.

I don't know what happened to my fuel filter holder, but I need to find a new screw lol
what size tubing is that?
what is the flare on the stock filter end or did you just pick it up at the parts store?
Old 05-26-09, 07:25 PM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im in the same boat. i was just going to get a universal filter and use hp rubber hoses and claps.i dont understand why i would need fuel filter plugs from a junkyard.
Old 05-27-09, 04:30 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mktbully
what size tubing is that?
what is the flare on the stock filter end or did you just pick it up at the parts store?
If I remember, it's 5/16th inch tubing (but I measured the outside using a caliper and then took it into the parts store and compared). The flares are all of the same angle and I took the fittings off the old filter and took them off the tubing. slid them onto the new tubing, and then cut and bent the tubing to spec.
Old 05-27-09, 02:50 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Lexus should have to recall our cars and repair them.
Old 05-28-09, 09:55 AM
DKNY0331
Driver

i only paid $35 for the line from lexus that goes from the tank to the filter. its all preben too..
Old 05-28-09, 06:35 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

How hard would that line be to repl., and what about the other side?
Old 05-28-09, 08:05 PM
spin all 4
Driver School Candidate

The "hood" way: as described above, get a junkyard fitting (you'll need something to go to the new fuel filter), high pressure hose from a hose supply place (usualy cheaper than autozone, csk, napa ect), 4 clamps so you can double clamp both ends, and take the fittings to a local place that can flare the ends of the pipe after you cut it. You won't be able to find many places that can bead that small of tubing, but lots will have a machine to flare the end. This way works, and I have done it on other cars where the fuel line was cross threaded into the fuel filter.

The right way: Buy either a coil of alum fuel tubing (plus bender, flare tool and fittings) or the an style hoses (the prolite stuff is black in color and low key), high flow fuel filter, plus fittings from summit. This is the way I would go if you're modding the car.