Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

DIY: Alternator Plug Repair Harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-09, 07:15 AM
Neucorp
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up DIY: Alternator Plug Repair Harness

I recently experienced an alternator failure from the power steering pump leaking. I had the alternator rebuilt by a great place in Lewisville, TX called Auto Start, Inc. I also re-sealed the power steering pump on my own. It's amazing how great these two parts looked putting them back on compared to what I took off.

Anyway, I noticed the plug that goes into the back of the alternator had become very loose after removing it. It was so bad that it would not stay in place if I pulled into a steep driveway. I was able to track down a repair harness. I found it from http://www.the-electric-connection.com and it is SKU# 4900. The repair kit came with about 5" of wire attached to the new plug, 3 inline crimps, and 3 heat shrink tubes.
  1. Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.
  2. Remove the plastic cap covering the sensor cable on the top of the alternator and loosen the nut with a 12mm wrench. Finish it off with your fingers.
  3. Pull the plug from the back of the alternator.
  4. Fish the wires you just removed up to through the engine bay to give yourself some room.
  5. Remove the rubber cover from the plug and make sure all surfaces are clean. Mine was in pretty bad shape so I just cut if off.
  6. Make notes of the color of wires and where they are currently positioned. The color of the wires coming off the new harness do not match the existing colors so make sure you get it right.
  7. Cut the wires from the old harness as close to the plug as possible.
  8. Using wire strippers, strip about a quarter of an inch from the wires.
  9. Place the wires into each of the crimps and crimp down. You'll want to make sure they're tight.
  10. Place the heat shrink tubes on the new plug so you can slide them down into place after you crimp the plug wires in.
  11. Crimp the plug wires in and slide down the heat shrink tubes over your work.
  12. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to shrink the tubes.
  13. Use some high temp electrical tape and finish everything off.
  14. If your rubber protector is still usable, put it on.
  15. Push the wires back down, get under the car and plug everything back in. You should hear a nice click when the plug is seated.
  16. Hook up the battery and test voltage. (Mine was at 12.4)
  17. Crank engine and test voltage again. (Mine jumped to over 14). Success!

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 07-16-13, 02:39 PM
joe319
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like they dont carry them anymore. would anyone know of another site that would sell them?
Old 07-16-13, 02:42 PM
joe319
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to go out on a limb and say mine is done for...
Attached Thumbnails DIY: Alternator Plug Repair Harness-snapchat-8085.jpg  
Old 07-16-13, 05:28 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yours doesn't look so bad looks like it has dielectric grease in it. Also, toyota/lexus sells these clips, idk the part number off hand but it wouldn't be too hard to find and it's completely stupid to use butt connectors inline when there is no reason to do so. depin, then repin into factory connector for factory performance