Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Few questions regarding Radiator Flushing/Draining

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 03:42 AM
rootaku
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few questions regarding Radiator Flushing/Draining

Ok After searching around a few threads I have a few questions, rather than asking on each different thread where I noticed different answers I'm going to ask here I guess?

Ok well, my upper radiator hose has a slit on it, which is currently, duct tape and tied of some sorts with more duct tape yeah, I was in a hurry couldn't be late for work. So anyways I will replace it tomorrow seeing my local Kragens will have my new hose by .. today? yeah.

So I wanted to flush my coolant too while I'm at it but where exactly is the drain plug? I read on a thread saying it is under the radiator (I drive a SC300 92') and I would have to remove the undercover thing.

On another thread I read its behind near where the 6th Spark Plug is at on the passenger side which has the drain plug.

So my question is it under the radiator? or in the back? or both? if both do I need to open both?...

Once the plug is removed do I just let it just spill out until it basically stops? or would I have do anything in particular at that point, take off the cap maybe? empty out the reservoir? (I had stop leak in the system due to a prior radiator problem, and it recycled itself into it I guess)

-----------------------------------------

So after I figure out how to drain it, the first step would be to use of flushing agent like prestone I so often see and follow its directions? and should I let it "air" out as I've read on a more recent coolant thread on the 1st page here also? (leaving cap off, engine idling, fill fluid as needed to top off as it spills out for 10mins, replace cap top off reservoir)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit paranoid and not to mention very in-handy when it comes to cars still. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-01-08, 07:31 AM
TJohnson
Driver

I flushed mine out a few months ago when the TX heat was really getting to the car and had a bad thermostat.

The radiator drain plug is on the driver side at the bottom of the radiator. I don't have the plastic cover under the car and I have electric fans, so I could reach it from the top. The block plug is in the back of the block, but you don't have to remove that one. Just remove the rad plug and take the rad cap off and let it flow out.

I disconnected both upper and lower hoses as I was replacing them anyway. Once you think its pretty much empty, I put a water hose right at the water neck where the upper hose connects to the motor. No high pressure or anything, just let it flow in. Watch it come out of the bottom and wait until its clean and clear. Same with radiator.

Fill up the radiator until its pretty much full and start the car with the cap off. Wait until it gets nice and warm so the thermostat opens and then rev it for awhile and let it get in there and then fill it up as needed. My driveway is on a slight incline, so this worked perfect. It helps A LOT to be sure that the radiator is up higher than the motor if possible.
Old 12-01-08, 11:14 AM
rootaku
Rookie

ah ok, So I need any specific tool to remove the plug or anything? All I have a 10mm socket wrench
Old 12-02-08, 03:54 PM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TJohnson
I flushed mine out a few months ago when the TX heat was really getting to the car and had a bad thermostat.

The radiator drain plug is on the driver side at the bottom of the radiator. I don't have the plastic cover under the car and I have electric fans, so I could reach it from the top. The block plug is in the back of the block, but you don't have to remove that one. Just remove the rad plug and take the rad cap off and let it flow out.

I disconnected both upper and lower hoses as I was replacing them anyway. Once you think its pretty much empty, I put a water hose right at the water neck where the upper hose connects to the motor. No high pressure or anything, just let it flow in. Watch it come out of the bottom and wait until its clean and clear. Same with radiator.

Fill up the radiator until its pretty much full and start the car with the cap off. Wait until it gets nice and warm so the thermostat opens and then rev it for awhile and let it get in there and then fill it up as needed. My driveway is on a slight incline, so this worked perfect. It helps A LOT to be sure that the radiator is up higher than the motor if possible.

is this correct
and is this the same for an SC400?
Old 12-02-08, 07:28 PM
ralsty
Rookie

There's plugs in both places. I have flushed the radiator a couple times just opening the drain stopcock at the base of the radiator on the drivers side.
Old 12-02-08, 09:21 PM
ekrebs
Lead Lap

So anyone know just how much fluid we should put back in?
Old 12-02-08, 11:18 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

enough to fill the the rad and res. tank to around the full mark, but not beyond.
then run the system to circulate then see how much more you will need and add back up tp the full mark
Old 12-03-08, 01:25 AM
rootaku
Rookie

ok so I did it today and heres how it went.

First thing I did was jacked up my car on both sides so I could kinda see things better from the bottom seeing that I have no idea what it looks like haha and I had to remove the undercover.

So I removed the undercover and looked around a bit trying to figure out what the plug looked like, eventually I found it, It was right there in my face as as TJohnson confirmed. Picture 1 and 2 shows a top and bottom shot. The red notes where the plug should be located at, the blue thing, see that black cover? thats gotta go if you wanna unscrew it without struggling... like I did for a minute haha.

------------------------------------
So yeah as noted in the picture, theres 2, I unscrewed the bigger one, not sure what the smaller one is for. same thing? I dunno. So the coolant started to pour out, and then after it pretty much emptied I removed my upperhose.

---------------------------------

ok now heres where I encountered a problem.. or maybe I didn't I'm not too sure but, after I removed the hose I proceeded to grab a hose and inserted into where the radiator cap used to be, so its cleaning now, so far so good. Then I put the hose into the other side where the hose connected to the engine. Seemed to be ok except that I didn't see where all the water I put in came out at haha. Like it wasn't coming out from anywhere.

I stopped a little, theres some water coming out but not as much as when I inserted the hose through the radiator itself. I proceeded to insert it again and yeah, Didn't seem like it was coming out... but I kept moving on and put on the new upperhose.

------------------------------------------------

I also blasted some water into my reservoir to clear out the junk from the sealant I used since I couldn't get the reservoir out! I removed the 2 10mm bolts on top but its still being held there by another something which I couldn't really get too... Unless I didn't pull up hard enough I dunno. Anyways

---------------------------------------------

I then proceeded fill it up with coolant, it took a lot more than I thought, I had a half empty container of coolant and new one and I pretty much used all of it. Filled up the reservoir up to about the line, the rest into the radiator, just about topping it off, had some space.

Started up the car and let it sit for about 10 mins. Nothing was happening really? In the back of my mind I'm still wondering if the water I filled in earlier is still in there mixing with the coolant now.. so anyways I decided to take it for a spin around the block, or a few blocks. Put the cap on and off I went.

I stopped at some parking lot (next to mcdonalds! I was hungry) and checked the fluid with the car on, (used a shirt to remove cap just incase I get splatter yeah haha) it lost a decent amount so that means thats a good thing I guess? the fluid is going through the whole system now I guess? So I filled up just to about full again, let the car running with cap off, revved to about 2k 2.1k a bunch of times. Moved my temperature thing to cold and hot, turned AC etc etc, randomly messing with stuff. It lost some fluid again, but very little so i refilled. waited. nothing happening, caped it and I drove around again.

Drove a few blocks again (didn't go to mcdonalds.. damnit I was starving basically at that moment haha) and drove home, checked it again, and I didn't lose any fluid. A few hours later I came to check the fluid level, and it lowered again so I refilled and I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow. so yeah it seems everything is in order. nothing too out of the ordinary?.. I dunno.

theres the drain plug I'm holding it just incase anyone doesn't know what to look for. haha Oh i filled my reservoir pretty much to the way top also. So yeah haha