Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

First MoDS in LSD TC

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-08, 09:50 AM
Devir
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First MoDS in LSD TC

It's been quite a while since I bought the Dragon TC and TRD LSD. I'll say the parts of far more useful in the car as they now are.

Thanks to the TQ I can take off much gentler than the stock TC keeping the passengers in the car from vomiting on the upholstery. I also now have the option to snap necks on launch if I choose so. The car is more tame at a "glace".

City driving yields a slightly higher cruising RPM. Putting around on level ground I can keep it under 1k rpm. Acceleration is nice and gentle, but to actually get the car to accelerate faster than a corola the RPM needs to hit close to 3k. It's a worthwhile trade off for what is to come.

The LSD out of the box was a nice solid design. It holds a nice solid metal frame encasing all the clutch plates the will now keep traction on both my wheels. A full launch does skip some and the car roars forward now. Sharp turns i've noticed some tire skip as I navigate parking lots... Maybe it will get better as the LSD breaks in. I've done quite a few tight figure 8's to assist the break in.

I can't break traction the way I used to with the open diff. Which is great. I can accelerate a little faster around corners and through the busy intersections. What I do know is that although it is relatively safer, you break traction on one tire, now you break on both (potential to slide into a guard rail, tree, old lady on walker). Especially in the rain. But that goes with the fact that the LSD was bought for drifting purposes. After living both worlds now, I see the open diff is used in lexus for safety. On turns, one tire can slip all day, as long as the other tire has grip you'll maintain control.

I go north to NH a lot. Last year I couldn't make it up my mother driveway, nor her friends quarter mile, uphill driveway of ice... Maybe this year will be different. As long as I dont drift into the banks, or off the cliff.

Any snow driving advice will be apreciated (not "get a front wheel, 4wd")

In all I love the TC for its near instant power and the LSD for giving me the traction to handle the new efficiently utilized power.

Next Mod full exhaust, header to muffler.
Old 08-19-08, 09:58 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

Nice, may I ask where you got the LSD from and what type of unit is it? torsen? two way? And are you using the 3.0 or the 4.0?
Old 08-20-08, 05:04 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

nice. same question as ^^. which ratio as well?