Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

6 speed clutch choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 04:50 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 speed clutch choice

What clutches are you V160/161 guys using and what do you like or dislike about it?

I have an HKS twin disc and I hate the chatter box that it is, not to mention it is not the most easily driven clutch.
Old 06-05-08, 08:17 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want it to chatter, then you should probably stay away from twin/triple disc clutches. I'm running a triple disc Carbonetic in my V161, and I love this clutch. VERY streetable, and easy to slip. The car revs up faster, and my AEM no longer takes forever to crank my car. I've used the HKS twin disc before on other supras, and I never liked it. It's just an on/off switch, and isn't really an all around good product. Also, if you want something quiet, you might wanna stay with a clutch that will still utilize the stock flywheel. The 6spd flywheel is a dual mass flywheel and takes all the noise that is associated with Getrags. As soon as you remove it, they become noisy, but this is something I live with for the sake of having a better performing car.
Old 06-05-08, 08:50 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TTSC3
If you don't want it to chatter, then you should probably stay away from twin/triple disc clutches. I'm running a triple disc Carbonetic in my V161, and I love this clutch. VERY streetable, and easy to slip. The car revs up faster, and my AEM no longer takes forever to crank my car. I've used the HKS twin disc before on other supras, and I never liked it. It's just an on/off switch, and isn't really an all around good product. Also, if you want something quiet, you might wanna stay with a clutch that will still utilize the stock flywheel. The 6spd flywheel is a dual mass flywheel and takes all the noise that is associated with Getrags. As soon as you remove it, they become noisy, but this is something I live with for the sake of having a better performing car.
If you go with a lightweight flywheel and metallic puck disc would it still be noisy?
I have been looking at the RPS clutches but im not sure if I want to deal with a puck clutch on my daily driver (had 2 in my rx7)
Old 06-05-08, 08:51 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Do you have any experience with the WOTM discs?
Old 06-05-08, 09:00 PM
dohc3ltt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NoLongerA13bFan
Do you have any experience with the WOTM discs?
I would stay away from the WOTM disc, I had one that broke the rivets off the center of the disc. Had to get towed home.

I'd recommend the hpf feramic, it's streetable and good for right about 900+rwhp.
Old 06-05-08, 09:10 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

If you go with a lightweight flywheel and metallic puck disc would it still be noisy?
I have been looking at the RPS clutches but im not sure if I want to deal with a puck clutch on my daily driver (had 2 in my rx7)
Yes. As I said, Getrags are noisy transmissions but top notch performers. The dual mass flywheel takes care of all of that though, so if you want something quiet, stay with the stock flywheel. I definitely wouldn't get a 4/6 puck, but if you must, go with a 6 puck and make sure it's got a sprung hub.
Old 06-05-08, 09:27 PM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Seeing as how I am BPU (on a stock SC cat back) and rarely race the car what about a stock flywheel, stock disc and either ACT or RPS PP. I may go single but it wouldn't be anytime soon.
Old 06-05-08, 09:47 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Seeing as how I am BPU (on a stock SC cat back) and rarely race the car what about a stock flywheel, stock disc and either ACT or RPS PP. I may go single but it wouldn't be anytime soon.
Any of the single disc clutches that use the stock flywheel would suffice, and be very driveable on a daily basis. I've personally never used any variation of the stock disc with an aftermarket PP, at least not on a Supra, but I'm sure it would work great.
Old 06-05-08, 10:13 PM
SoarerAZ
Pole Position

Any carbonetic clutch. It's most definitely worth it.
Old 06-06-08, 08:07 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

HKS triple disc no problem love very slipable clutch when you have the hks rod.
Old 06-06-08, 09:20 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the design of most multi disk clutches makes them rattle. you cant do anything about it. if you dont want the "inconvenience" then cut down the performance of the car so you would have no need for it OR deal with it.

HKS products are very good. there is amazing amount of engineering that goes in everything they do, only exception is the new version if the SSQV; that thing sux in quality. i have driven a few 240's with HKS twin disks and they are okay to drive. i have driven a few Evo's with clutchmasters' clutches too and those are very touchy.

any time you have a metallic clutch or a multi disk it gets less and less streetable.

right now im trying to figure out how to make a clutch setup for my sr20det powered s13. i have an AP Racing twin disk, copper ceramic, 4 puck per disk, UNSPRUNG clutch.

how do you think that will feel. it will be an on/off switch. its like the clutches on the toyota atlantic cars we use to build....rev to 4k and dump
Old 06-06-08, 12:32 PM
TTSC3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
the design of most multi disk clutches makes them rattle. you cant do anything about it. if you dont want the "inconvenience" then cut down the performance of the car so you would have no need for it OR deal with it.

HKS products are very good. there is amazing amount of engineering that goes in everything they do, only exception is the new version if the SSQV; that thing sux in quality. i have driven a few 240's with HKS twin disks and they are okay to drive. i have driven a few Evo's with clutchmasters' clutches too and those are very touchy.

any time you have a metallic clutch or a multi disk it gets less and less streetable.

right now im trying to figure out how to make a clutch setup for my sr20det powered s13. i have an AP Racing twin disk, copper ceramic, 4 puck per disk, UNSPRUNG clutch.

how do you think that will feel. it will be an on/off switch. its like the clutches on the toyota atlantic cars we use to build....rev to 4k and dump
Yeah, pretty much. The floaters are what's rattling around in the setup, but I'm used to it, as I have many 600+whp cars, and all of them use multi disc clutches. I just prefer my car to perform better, even at the cost of a bit of nose. If you're using a Getrag, and don't use the stock flywheel, it's gonna be noisy. Even without the use of a multi disc clutch, Getrags are noisy (with an aftermarket flywheel at least). There's just nothing you can do about it, and since he has a twin disc, and noise seems to bother him, he should probably just stay with a single disc clutch that uses the stock dual mass flywheel. The HKS twin for the Supra just sux, IMO. I've never used it in a different car, but for this application, I've used it a bunch of times, as well as many other twin/triple disc clutches that felt better. Tilton, Exedy, OS Giken (which is now the same as Exedy), ATS/Carbonetic, etc, all felt easier to drive on the street, and at the track.
I was also sponsored by Clutchmasters, and got their first twin disc they made for the 1g AWD DSM, and it was the biggest pile of **** I've ever used. Very poorly built, and almost destroyed my 12k race motor, along with the tranny that I borrowed from John Shepherd in the middle of the season! I also used a triple disc Giken in the S14 that we used all season for Formula D and Nopi, and it was easily streetable, as well as totally reliable all season.
Old 06-07-08, 07:25 AM
NoLongerA13bFan
Lead Lap

Yeah, pretty much. The floaters are what's rattling around in the setup, but I'm used to it, as I have many 600+whp cars, and all of them use multi disc clutches. I just prefer my car to perform better, even at the cost of a bit of nose. If you're using a Getrag, and don't use the stock flywheel, it's gonna be noisy. Even without the use of a multi disc clutch, Getrags are noisy (with an aftermarket flywheel at least). There's just nothing you can do about it, and since he has a twin disc, and noise seems to bother him, he should probably just stay with a single disc clutch that uses the stock dual mass flywheel. The HKS twin for the Supra just sux, IMO. I've never used it in a different car, but for this application, I've used it a bunch of times, as well as many other twin/triple disc clutches that felt better. Tilton, Exedy, OS Giken (which is now the same as Exedy), ATS/Carbonetic, etc, all felt easier to drive on the street, and at the track.
I was also sponsored by Clutchmasters, and got their first twin disc they made for the 1g AWD DSM, and it was the biggest pile of **** I've ever used. Very poorly built, and almost destroyed my 12k race motor, along with the tranny that I borrowed from John Shepherd in the middle of the season! I also used a triple disc Giken in the S14 that we used all season for Formula D and Nopi, and it was easily streetable, as well as totally reliable all season.
The twin disc is super noisy but as It stands now I need a new clutch because my twin disc is slipping. I do not for see me making more than 500 whp ever with my car so its not like I need a multidisc set up.