Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Squeal from Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-06, 08:17 PM
VincentLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal from Clutch

I have a 6 puck clutch (not sure of the mfgr) that has started to squeal just as the clutch engages in 1st gear from a dead stop. The clutch doesn't slip once it is fully engaged even under WOT (should be around 480whp). Occasionally during the slight squeal, it feels like something slips... kind of like the tire spining a quarter turn or something but I don't think it is.... Anyone have any ideas...Is this common with high performance clutches? I did a quick search but didn't see anything right off. Thanks for any help.
Old 02-11-06, 05:05 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it sounds pretty normal to me. it really depends on the clutch material and how it engages. with a 6 puck the ingagement isnt very smooth in comparison to a street disc and if it is not a sprung disk then the vibration will have to go somewhere, and it usually turns into noise.. Do you have a spung disc or is it a solid disc?
Old 02-12-06, 06:00 PM
VincentLex
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if it is sprung or not. I just bought the car and the clutch was already on the car. I was just curious...Thanks...btw, I'm in SE Ohio near Marietta and Parkerburg WVa. You anywhere close by?
Old 02-12-06, 06:56 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

im up in columbus finishing up an engineering degree. if your ever in the area shoot me a line.
Old 02-13-06, 04:16 PM
VincentLex
Driver School Candidate

I'm about 2 hrs away. I have a '93 RX-7 also and I've visited "The RX-7 Store" on the west side of I-270 a few times to get some mods done. Is your SC turbo'd? I'm looking for someone to tune the Lexus and was considering going to the RX-7 Store. Do you have anybody in COlumbus that tunes with an Apexi AFC?
I'm a ChE (many years ago now), and am the Plant Manager at a Plastics plant now. Good luck with school!
Old 02-13-06, 05:09 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

thanks man i appriciate it. It sounds like your doing pretty well youself. the rx7 store isnt bad but have had problems with happy customers. I have a few buddies with rx7's, all of which were disappointed with them except one. You might know kyle, he has a silver fd with a big street port fully built etc. a purple skyline gtr and a carrera 2 and was the only one i know who was happy. in any event i would check with Autoworks exotica on westerville road (opposite side of town from the rx7 store) they were the old passen motorsports (sean passen scca dirver 07 with yellow supra) and do a great job tuning. hit me up if your ever in the area.