Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ - Cannot Rev Pass 3000 RPMS - Need Guru.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 09:12 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1JZ - Cannot Rev Pass 3000 RPMS - Need Guru.

Expanding this question outside of the large thread its on so more people can see.

Basically, after a 1JZ swap, the car runs very well, but it will not rev over 3K - 4K rpms, depending on how you use the throttle. This will happen in Neutral or in Gear.

This is what has been done already.

6 New Coil Packs
6 New NGK Spark Plugs
12v Fuel Pump Mod w/ Supra Pump

Other than that, thats it. (at least if I can remember correctly)

Before anyone says anything, we have been through dozens of pages of dead end answers and 2 weeks of this bs. Its getting old and we just want to finish the swap.

What do you guys think? There was something about an Orange and Black (Large) wire thats on the body plug thats supposed to go to somewhere, but we don't know much about that.
Old 10-23-07, 05:40 AM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. I sent out your friend's manifold.

2. I had the exact same issue, and it ended up being an igniter. Here's the list of things to check:

TPS
MAP sensor
Igniter <- likely cuplrit

are you auto or 5spd?
Old 10-23-07, 05:47 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tavarish
1. I sent out your friend's manifold.

2. I had the exact same issue, and it ended up being an igniter. Here's the list of things to check:

TPS
MAP sensor
Igniter <- likely cuplrit

are you auto or 5spd?

Its a 5sp. How could you tell it was your igniter?

Matt
Old 10-23-07, 05:55 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incorrect wiring or a bad cam angle sensor ,crank sensor sensor will cause the engine to go in limp mode which will not let you rev past 300rpm .Im guessing its ccc-tt car you are refering to . is the cel wired up? He told me to give him a call but im pretty occupied these days here at work. Before you go back in the harness check all sensors like pressure sensor ,ignitor cam angle these 3 sensors always give out on higher milage 1j's and if those are fine then the wiring can be incorrect as not all engines will drop right only requiring extending the harness some wires have to be moved depending on the year of the engine and your car.so far i did 3 1j swaps in sc's and its never a plug and play situation. Hope you guys get it sorted out

Last edited by sc250tt; 10-23-07 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-23-07, 06:07 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

who ever wired up the car should know the two wires im talking about it is not that hard to find if you pull the bodyplugs that was extended .
Old 10-23-07, 07:07 AM
CCC-TT
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

we found the two large wires last night, we cut them and wired them to the battery, just to see if that would help, but it wouldnt start or anything. i guess we'll have to check on that other stuff tonight
Old 10-23-07, 08:54 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

check ALLLLLLLLL your grounds, you are most likely shorting out somewhere when you hit load and when the igniter starts to pull more power.

check the leads from igniter to ecu and coilpacks to igniter make sure you have proper continuity.
Old 10-23-07, 09:03 AM
shlounek
Lead Lap

here maybee this will help about the body plug questions your having

Originally Posted by jm94tt
ok, here is what I can offer.

Section 2: Wiring

-Extend the 5 body harness plugs blah blah blah you have heard it before. I extended mine 24" and that is a bit much, i would say 18-20" would be good and still leave a good amount of slack.
-Extend the plugs in the engine bay to reach the power steering rack, and the heater control valve if needed.
-Use the body plug for the alternator, wrap the one on the engine harness with electrical tape and tie it out of the way.
-Move the blue and yellow wire on the white female body side plug to the female orange body( i think it is IK24) side plug so that when the 1jz side body plug with the blue/yellow wire is inserted the blue/yellow wires connect. This will get the Check engine light working.
-To make your temp gauge work, ground pin 24 on the same white plug on the body side(IK2). It is a brown/black wire between a pink and a black wire. I t-tapped into the brown/black wire and used the body ground behind the kick panel.
-There are two thicker black/orange wires on the larger gray plug coming from the engine that supply power to the igniter and injectors. You will need to find a good "switched" 12V source to power these, as they don't recieve any power from the sc400 body. I broke out the multimeter and found an unused by the 1jz pin that had a good 12v switched signal and spliced these two into it.
-I had to do the 12V mod at the fuel pump ECU to get the car to start. There are two thicker wires at the fuel pump ECU, (1)Green and (1)Black/Red14 GA. Cut these 2 and connect them. Insulate them well.
-You can do the R109 resistor mod on the back of the cluster to get a tach signal to the cluster, but it will read 1000 rpms or better higher than it really is. My car will bury the tach needle before shifting at WOT. I'm looking for a nice SC300 cluster to use.

Issues that I need help with (others please chime in):

- Air Bag light was staying on all the time (key on or off). The cluster was always plugged in when the battery was connected. I have the bulb pulled until I get it figured out.
- The 1jz auto trans is momentarily bouncing off of the rev limiter when shifting at WOT. Sounds like a machine gun. Does it for about a third of a second on the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts.

I am sure I have forgotten stuff and I have yet to take pics. Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-07, 09:55 AM
Dr Tweak
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

First up, run the ECU trouble codes. Is the ECU an auto or manual?

-Doc
Old 10-23-07, 01:59 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

ECU is auto, i drove it to school today, and there is some improvement, now i can mash on the throttle and it goes up without sputtering, to 4kish, where is wont go any farther
Old 10-23-07, 02:04 PM
Dr Tweak

Run the ECU trouble codes and get back to me. Also check and see if the NSW wire is hooked up to anything (on the ECU). What transmission are you using?

-Doc
Old 10-23-07, 04:45 PM
CCC-TT
Racer

I'm using the stock w58 transmission. What is the NSW? and i havent run ecu trouble codes. I ran the two big black/orange wires to a 12volt source (the battery) and it ran worse, i dont think those wires are the problem. I looked at whatever sensors i could find but nothing looked out of place. I wish i knew someone local with a 1jz or 2jz to test the ignitor out but i dont
Old 10-23-07, 06:24 PM
sc300gte
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by shlounek
check ALLLLLLLLL your grounds, you are most likely shorting out somewhere when you hit load and when the igniter starts to pull more power.

check the leads from igniter to ecu and coilpacks to igniter make sure you have proper continuity.

I had the exact same problem as you. I'd say check ALL of your grounds, and your ecu wiring. My problem was a loose ecu wire that was grounding out. Caused the same problems that you described. Also, it caused the ecu to fully retard the timing, thus totally destroying my turbo (super hot egt).
Old 10-23-07, 08:08 PM
Dr Tweak

You have a Soarer ECU, right?
Old 10-23-07, 08:19 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Hes using the Soarer ECU

Originally Posted by sc300gte
I had the exact same problem as you. I'd say check ALL of your grounds, and your ecu wiring. My problem was a loose ecu wire that was grounding out. Caused the same problems that you described. Also, it caused the ecu to fully retard the timing, thus totally destroying my turbo (super hot egt).

Hopefully he will check tommorow.

Quick Reply: 1JZ - Cannot Rev Pass 3000 RPMS - Need Guru.