Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Stock 1UZ what exhaust is best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 12:15 PM
1uzfelbc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 1UZ what exhaust is best?

Hello to all,
This question has probably already been asked but I just got an SC4 and I am wanting to change out the mufflers. I had an LS4 before with magnaflows and the resonators swapped out for just pipes. Now my question is what kind of exhaust will give a good sound without sounding to ricey, I'm leaning toward the HKS hi-power. Another question is should I have aftermarket resonators on instead of just pipes to connect the exhaust sytem??

Thank you guys in advance.
Old 09-28-07, 12:20 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A. Search, you even said yourself you think this was covered.

2. You said you had an LS4, which has the same motor as the SC, granted if it was an earlier model. If you liked how that sounded, you can do the same to your SC4.
Old 09-28-07, 01:53 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently trying to do the same thing: modify my exhaust to hear the Lexus Lion. Here are my current options:

1) Magnaflow cat(s) or X- or Y-pipe.
2) Unbolt mufflers and replace with straight pipes (to hear how it sounds) and if I don't like it, bolt the mufflers back on. I'm not sure I would have to have welding done, though. It looks like I could just unbolt them...

I'm stuck because I want to take my time and do the best option (to get that nice sound) and research before I start spending money. BTW, I've already had the two resonators deleted and am confused if the middle part is a resonator or a cat in TN (and other states). I have read that the middle part is a resonator in every state but CA but can't seem to confirm.
Old 09-28-07, 04:32 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plan to just replace the center resonator on my 92 with a magnaflow X pipe and have the rest of the exhaust custom made with 2.25" piping from the x pipe back. Just debating to stick with the stock mufflers or replace them with a pair of magnaflows.
Old 09-28-07, 05:23 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be tough for a DOHC eight to sound ricey pretty much regardless of what you do.

If you have the budget and are looking to make some more power, headers would do the trick. S&S Headers are best for a stock 1UZ because of their more approriately-sized primary pipe diameter. They run $599 and do NOT bolt to the rest of the stock system. You would have to go fully custom all the way back to do it right.

If you are just looking for some sound and maybe a horse or two, delete the resonators, the center catalytic converter, and swap out the mufflers. This will be cheap and easy while offering a similar sound to the fully custom system from the headers back.

I have deleted the resonators, and the car sounds nearly identical to the stock exhaust of the newer DOHC GT Mustangs. I have a sound clip I could dig up if you are interested. Without the center cat and with more boisterous mufflers, I imagine the car would add a few more decibels of grunt and really sound great.

The advantage to keeping the stock exhaust geometry is that you are very unlikely to encounter a nasty drone in the cabin. This will preserve the luxury aspect of the car while you would still be able to make your presence known when you got on it.

If you choose to go with a full cat back, an X-pipe for balance would theoretically give you a small boost in power (or throttle response at the very least). Piping a new exhaust would cost a bit more than simply cutting and/or replacing the resonators, center cats, and mufflers; but, the sound and performance should be a bit more pronouced...although you do run more of a risk of inheritting a drone at the same time.

All told, stop worrying about sounding a ricey. A 1.4L owner should worry about such things: not a V8 owner.
Old 09-28-07, 08:14 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That apex-i mega exhaust or whatever looks pretty sharp
Old 09-28-07, 11:12 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400-95
BTW, I've already had the two resonators deleted and am confused if the middle part is a resonator or a cat in TN (and other states). I have read that the middle part is a resonator in every state but CA but can't seem to confirm.
Its your center catalytic converter... end of discussion.