GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Another exhaust question about drone.

Old 10-14-13, 12:04 PM
talbott
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another exhaust question about drone.

I know this seems to have been beat to death but everyone's opinions seem to be based off their own setup and I can seem to get a sold answer on this. I have an all stock exhaust and want a little bit of sound out of it but I hate the drone I got when I just took off the rear mufflers and replaced them with straight pipes, my question is what resonator should I remove as this would be the cheapest option or if removing resonators causes drone no matter what is there a decent muffler out there that doesnt cause drone but also isnt a ton of money?
Old 10-14-13, 12:51 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

My experience is the same -- mufflers deleted so the stock 3 resonators keep the car civilized except there is drone when accelerating from stop or under load 1500-2000 RPM (up hill etc.).

Typically I've experienced more drone when an aftermarket muffler is installed on the car and there is no resonator or not a large enough one. I'm not certain how or why, but with 3 on our car from the factory, removing the mufflers causes more drone than I would think. Therefore my suggestion would be to get some Magnaflow straight flow muffler(s) to add to the system to help keep the drone down. You can try to install 2 cheap $40 ones on each end like the old factory mufflers were.

The other option I've been toying with is removing all 3 factory resonators (or 2 of the tube ones) and installing just the 2 rear mufflers for cheap or other decent ones (Borla, old factory ones, etc. all seem to sound way more beefier with that V8 blub blub blub when the resonators are REMOVED -- something that I think is more to my liking instead of the subdued continuous tone without standard mufflers, plus hopefully the drone may change).

Last edited by Sampak; 10-14-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 03:22 PM
talbott
Rookie

That may be the way to go, I just want something that will let you know there's a v8 in there but doesn't sounds like I threw a Flowmaster on a camaro. I love the sound of a g35 coupe and would love to replicate that decibel level in my gs4, I feel like the sound needs to match the class of the car and most systems out there just make it sound as mean as possible.
Old 10-14-13, 03:31 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

want the g35 coupe sound?

tanabe hyper medalion or touring medalion
Old 10-14-13, 04:19 PM
Sampak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by talbott
That may be the way to go, I just want something that will let you know there's a v8 in there but doesn't sounds like I threw a Flowmaster on a camaro. I love the sound of a g35 coupe and would love to replicate that decibel level in my gs4, I feel like the sound needs to match the class of the car and most systems out there just make it sound as mean as possible.
Haha, not sure if we can simulate the VQ sound of the G/Z but I have heard a few GS400s that are close. However, most of the GS4xx exhausts I have heard on youtube sound more like typical V8s. The Nissan VK45 V8 engine and I believe the Hyundai Genesis' 4.6L(?) V8 have more of the exotic sound you talking about that is closer to a G35/37 exhaust note.

I'll have to find some sound clips of the Tanabe Medallion setup.

One thing in common I've observed is that most of the aftermarket exhausts (rear muffler section only) sound way too quiet and almost indifferent than stock other than volume, if the owner has not removed at least 2 of the 3 resonators. As I mentioned above, to get more 'character' and better than factory sound levels from the GS4 exhaust I think we need to get rid of the 2 resonators, whether via custom straight pipes in place or a y-pipe section etc.

Last edited by Sampak; 10-14-13 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 04:56 PM
talbott
Rookie

You got me thinking about it and I should have used this as a better reference, I'd like it to sound like a stock ISF, I'm wanting something noticeable but like it's was made that way, not like I added something cheesy. Sounds like removing at least 2 resonators is going to be my best bet.