Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

queston for Clint, but all are welcome to answer

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-01, 01:34 PM
spoolinsc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up queston for Clint, but all are welcome to answer

I am new to the Lexus scene. I own an SC300 automatic. I have a couple of questions abot engine swaps, and trannys.

1) I want to build a serious car. Should I go with the 2jzgte or should I keep my 2jzge and turo the hell out of it?

2) What are the differences between the gte and ge? Will the intake manifold from the gte fit the ge?

3) I want to convert to 6 speed what parts do I need? (I know I need the tranny, shifter, pedals, master and slave cylinders for the clutch) I saw on Clints webpage that the shifter had to be modified, in what way?

4) I saw on Clints site that in order for the tach to wrk he needed some kind of interface. Where can I get this If I decide to do the gte? Instead of dealing with cutting and splicing the harness can I use one from a 1jzgte? If yes, do I still need the interface?

Thanks a lot Clint and who ever else responds. Any and all help is appreciated.

Ryan
Old 12-24-01, 02:40 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

1. Turboing the GE seems easier to me. But the GTE has better aftermarket. I think big power=GE and more power than you will ever need=GTE.

2. GTE has oil squirters, lower compression, distributorless ign., different head, and more aftermarket (manifolds, cams, etc.). The intake and exhaust manifolds aren't interchangable.

3. Flywheel, custom driveshaft, ...

4. ?
Old 12-26-01, 07:26 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go more in the direction of Ethan... He kept the auto tranny, had it built by SP. He kept the GE and just had SP adapt an HKS manifold to fit. The differences have been mentioned, but the GE motor actually flows better than the GTE due to the design of the intake runners, etc... You'll get lower ET with a simple built auto tranny and will be able to launch way more consistently. The auto builds confidence because you can repeat the results. I'd expect easy 1.7 60ft times with the auto, better on slicks. You can launch to a 1.6 on a 6spd, if you spend $2500 on a clutch that can handle "powerbraking". The Tilton and RPS carbon-carbon units are needed for good launches with lots of power. You'll also be easier on the drivetrain and may not need any of the Supra axles, driveshaft etc, if you stick with auto (depending on how crazy you get).

Automatic to 6spd is tricky... Have no knowledge of that process. 5spd to 6spd is fairly easy and straight forward.
Old 12-30-01, 11:03 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've converting my SC300 to 2JZGTE and couldn't be happier. Everything fits as though it came from the factory (it did.. in the Soarer!), and looks beautiful, and runs perfectly smooth. You WILL need the Supra ECU AND harness, I wouldn't even begin to try modifying the GT harness. Completely different.. the Supra has fully electronic ignition with separate coils on each plug, vs the Lexus distributor-style ignition. If interested, I have published a detailed manual on the conversion process. You can read about it at:

www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt

Good luck!

Phil
Old 01-20-02, 06:19 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Phil;

I have to say that is a superb job you did on the Supra engine install, I hope I can do an equally good job if I ever get round to replacing my 2.5 1JZ motor with the Supra 3.0 2JZ lump. it should be alot easier than your job as basically all I will be doing is replacing the block.

Cheers,