Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

****I ALMOST DIED TODAY!!! Accelerator stuck!***

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 10:52 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ****I ALMOST DIED TODAY!!! Accelerator stuck!***

On the highway on the way home tonight while I'm about to take my exit, my accelerator gets stuck!!! I go into panic mode and immedietly try to get it loose, its stuck at almost full throttle, got stuck around 70mph. I couldn't get it loose with my hand while driving blindly, then i pushed the brake as hard as I could, still no stoppage! So I try to put it into a lower gear, slowly climbing uphill on my exit ramp home, the car goes down to around 40ish. At this point a turn is coming up and i figure its coming down the wire, something really really bad is about to happen. So I pull the emergency handbrake, then at last minute i pull the car off with the key. I stop get out and except for the smoke everywhere from the wheels and brakes, minor from the engine, everything works fine. Still one problem accelerator is still stuck!!! So i get the car towed to my house.

I want to know if this was a problem that was at the mechanics fault!??? I brought the car back yesterday after getting a new PS pump installed and fixing my valve cover leaks and replacing headgaskets. I realized yesterday the pedal was kind of clicking halfway throttle but didn't think much of it, until todays little incident!

SO my final question is: is there something wrong that the mechanic did under the hood to cause this? OR is it a coincidence? I am really angry and pretty shook up right now and I will most probably go yell at him tomorrow. I will not go off on him if its really not his fault, if it is, then things will get very ugly very quickly!!!
Old 05-12-07, 10:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It happened to me with my RSX. I shifted to N and kill the engine.

Later, I found out that the mechanic was at fault. He forgot the put the screws back on the throttle body holder and the cable got stuck in between.

Sorry that happend to you.
Old 05-12-07, 10:59 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

how did you turn the car off if it was in drive? i thought on automatics it hsa to be in park to actually take the key out?
Old 05-12-07, 11:03 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

well u can turn it off on N.. maybe he did that?

o well.. even if your car dies.. life is worth more then a sc400. or 300.
Old 05-12-07, 11:05 PM
V8drummer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some scary stuff man, I know exactly how you feel. In my old Chevy truck, a piece of the air filter managed to break off into the carb, and it kept it at WOT. Scared the **** out of me!

I'm not sure what caused it w/ your car. Sounds like the throttle linkage could of got bound up somehow, which the mechanic possible could have accidently done.

One thing though, don't hit the brakes when your throttle is stuck! That burns up the brakes, and then you'll have no brakes at all. IF you can't get the pedal unstuck, put the car in neutral then hit the brakes.
Old 05-12-07, 11:38 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by STIG
...the mechanic was at fault. He forgot the put the screws back on the throttle body holder and the cable got stuck in between.

Sorry that happend to you.
This should be pretty easy to verify and I think STIG is right on target. Also, the work done would have had the throttle linkage removed and re-installed. That's my unseen guess that it got screwed up then and there.

I would have just shut down the engine immediately. Neutral would have definitely blown it at WOT. I just wonder how clear headed I'd be in the same boat.
Old 05-12-07, 11:40 PM
nysupraman
Racer

I wont lie, i did WOT for a couple of seconds on Neutral, with smoke everywhere then i stopped it, i think the engine is fine...thanks STIG especially, I think I smell a lawsuit....
Old 05-12-07, 11:44 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Glad your OK. Neutral is the best idea, then kill the engine quickly and coast to safety.

You have a rev-limiter that stops the engine from blowing at WOT, so I would not worry about that if you act quickly to kill ignition.

Good thinking.
Old 05-13-07, 12:08 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nycsupraman, I am extremely glad to see that you are okay.Couldn't even imagine what I would do in an instance like yours. Smarts and quick thinking saved ya, Go check that mechanic out. I myself would have a hard time holding back if I found out it actually was his fault. Goodluck
Old 05-13-07, 12:08 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

1st, you need a DIFFERENT mechanic to perform an inspection and find out what is stuck and why. THEN you need to make contact with the other mechanic IF he is at fault.
Old 05-13-07, 02:51 AM
sean9975
Lead Lap

holy crap . glad your alright bro
Old 05-13-07, 05:50 AM
Chawk60
Pole Position

Clark, just glad you are alright. The bonus is that your car isn't wrecked.
Old 05-13-07, 11:11 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
1st, you need a DIFFERENT mechanic to perform an inspection and find out what is stuck and why. THEN you need to make contact with the other mechanic IF he is at fault.
your absolutely right! I contacted him face to face, lets just say he nearly crapped his pants. i also contacted another mechanic, determined not to let the original guy touch my car. he agreed to go with me and tow the car at his expense to the other mechanic to determine the problem, then pay up. hopefully the two mechanics dont argue and he says it was another problem and deny's to pay, then its war!