Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

question for the wise

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-01, 12:32 AM
originale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for the wise

hello. i'm new to the forum here and just recently got hooked on the lexus bug while racing my friend's gs400 in austin. a guy gave me the address to clint's website and i fell in love. then, five months later, i found this forum and saw all the guys running turbos on the 2jz-ge's. so to the question. i have the opportunity to get a new used car for christmas. i have about let's say $10k to spend. the turbo is definitely the way i'm going but how i get there is another thing. should i:
a)get an earlier year 92-94 with higher miles and a five speed (hope i can find one) then wait until i get out of school and swap in the 2jz-gte and transmission
b)stick the next however long i'm in college for out in my 90 celica and find a low miles newer model to put the single turbo from toyomoto on
c)old, high miles car with toyomoto
d)any other suggestions?

thanks a lot
mike
Old 12-07-01, 02:55 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Choice B

Here's why...once you get the car, you'll want to dump a lot of money and time into it...trust me, it's an addiction. College is hard enough (for the most part) w/o having that extra "hobby" to deal with...concentrate on your school now and while you're doing that, you can learn about your future car so that when you do go to buy one, you'll know a LOT more about the car... (stick around here for a while )

Also, I would save up for a lower mileage car because it's less likely that it'll have problems with OTHER components besides the engine and tranny...how about the suspension? Interior? Gauges? Joints? Bearings? Axles? Integrity of the chassis? Etc., etc...
Old 12-09-01, 05:44 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

B. or C. I turboed mine at 115k miles and now have got over 140k. A worn engine, if not smoking, will still run fine, and just allow you to run a little higher boost.

There are no disadvantages to an older (1992) SC. They are built just as well and hold up long term. I've broken NO engine parts since the turbo install, so I'd say that higher mileage cars are definitely up to the task.

As posted previously, once you turbo, the parts will add up as you'll only want to go faster. I'd plan on a minimum of $10k for the car, $6k for turbo, and a minimum of $3k for other goodies you'll need like wheels, tires, clutch, etc.