Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Pops out of first gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 06:19 PM
Shaymer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pops out of first gear

My 93 300 SC five speed pops out of first gear as soon as its engaged. If I hold it there, it'll stay. Once I get into 2nd, 3rd.... Its fine, and everything is smooth. What is this indicative of. Some said I need a new transmission, while someone said there's some sort of Servo (sp) or something that sounds like which is like $100 bucks. I don't want to take it to a tranny shop or a dealer and get hosed. I'd rather know what it is first and go from there.

Thanks

Shamus
Old 07-21-06, 06:32 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like synchro. The synchros may cost $100. But labor sure isnt goin to be cheap.
Old 07-21-06, 07:10 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hemogoblin
Sounds like synchro. The synchros may cost $100. But labor sure isnt goin to be cheap.

+1

if your getting into a rebuild you either buy a used 6 speed or spend the money and rebuild all of the trans not just one synchro. if one part is going you might as well change all synchros and check all gears and shiftforks for abnormal wear.
Old 07-21-06, 08:12 PM
Shaymer
Driver School Candidate

Whats the relationship between the synchros, the tranny and the gears. Sounds like I just eventually need to replace the whole tranny, which seems a bit odd for a manual tranny.
Am I talking cheaper to rebuild the five speed I have or find a 6 speed and have a shop do the labor. I just threw a 360 V8 into my tranny on my CJ, but my Lexus is no Tonka Truck.

And thanks to all for lending advice and knowledge... Much appreciated.

Shamus
Old 07-21-06, 08:58 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Synchros match the two shaft speeds together so that the gear selector will slide in place vs grinding. A bad synchro wont cause the selector to pop out of gear, it sounds like the synchro spring is messed up (little metal ring that goes around the synchro and is one (one of a few things) that holds the selector in gear). Either way, the pricing will vary alot depending if you can pull the tranny out yourself and take it to the shop to rebuild it and/or how much the shop wants to rip you on the rebuild. Synchros and sleeves are fairly expensive, so for a full rebuild it will be fairly expensive. Most of the 6 speeds Ive seen are running $1200-2500 used and is $4400ish new. You might be able to find a used 5 speed for fairly cheap, but chances are it wont be in much better shape then your current tranny (I know my 96 is starting to get knotchy and they stopped making the W58 in 97 so I have one of the "newer" transmissions).
Old 07-21-06, 09:23 PM
Shaymer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. With what I gave you....

What am I looking to spend to have my 5 speed tranny rebuild. Llike, what SHOULD it cost to have a garage rebuild it.

Last edited by Shaymer; 07-21-06 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-22-06, 12:42 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Well depending on what all you want replaced (there are a good many bearings that you can also replace), are you going to replace all the synchros or just the ones giving you a problem, are you going to replace just the synchros themselves or the synchros and the sleeve set. Theres alot of ways you can do it and the price will vary alot. To get 2 synchros replaced (generally 1st and 2nd bit the dust first) it would generally be around the $400-600 mark (with parts). To get all the synchros replaced probably in the $800-1000 range and to get the bearings and everything replaced upwards of $1200+. Ofcourse this is going off some of the honda pricing for parts + a little (being I know honda prices and the yota/lexus stuff is generally slightly more expensive). Also keep in mind that transmission work often leads to the transmission having problems slightly there after because the guy didnt know wtf he was doing, so make sure you get a good warranty and take it to a reputable shop. Also keep in mind that you can buy a brand new OEM 5spd for about $2k from the dealer and get a brand spankin new tranny that wont give you any problems at all (I actually just found that the 5 speed is about half the price of the 6 speed new).