Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help me decide, auto or 5-sp??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 09:43 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide, auto or 5-sp??

Well im looking into getting an SC300 in the near future, to give you some back ground im a former Supra owner and i currently own a GS300 for my family mobile (will eventually get an Aristo TT swap) Right now im kinda torn as to get a 5-speed or an auto.(i dont like the ***** shifter lol), from being in the Supra world i know that the w58 is Weak and wont hold higher power levels, and from reading on here i know i could get an R154 or V160 and swap into it but that would require either a lot of money or a lot of time, niether of which i have right now. the car will be somewhat of a weekend toy/long term project for me since im away from home with work from 2weeks to a month at a time therefore im not too worried about it being my only source of transportation (also have a camry for a beater/backup) i know an auto is a LOT easier to find but my concern is what kinda power will it hold before i have to get it built?? when i had my supra it was an auto when i got it and after some mild mods and a few good runs the tranny took a crap on me and i ended up just doing a 5-speed swap(R154) and after i did it the car was so much more fun to drive. My goals for the car are basicly a fun weekend car that can run low 12's on pump gas reliably, i dont need a 9 second/1000+hp wallet drainer. that brings me to another point, IF i get an auto. will it bolt up to a 1jz without major issues and will it hold the power of a bpu 1jz?? Id like to do a 2jzgte swap because it seems everyone and their brother is doing a 1jz swap these days but from what i understand 1jz is an easier/cheaper swap and if it will provide me with the power level i need ill probably go that route, then maybe later get a 2jz block and have a 1.5jz

So what do you guys think? i dont want this to turn into a 5-sp vs. auto. flamefest, just some oppinions on which way i should go for what i have in mind.
Old 07-09-06, 10:16 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
Well im looking into getting an SC300 in the near future, to give you some back ground im a former Supra owner and i currently own a GS300 for my family mobile (will eventually get an Aristo TT swap) Right now im kinda torn as to get a 5-speed or an auto.(i dont like the ***** shifter lol), from being in the Supra world i know that the w58 is Weak and wont hold higher power levels, and from reading on here i know i could get an R154 or V160 and swap into it but that would require either a lot of money or a lot of time, niether of which i have right now. the car will be somewhat of a weekend toy/long term project for me since im away from home with work from 2weeks to a month at a time therefore im not too worried about it being my only source of transportation (also have a camry for a beater/backup) i know an auto is a LOT easier to find but my concern is what kinda power will it hold before i have to get it built?? when i had my supra it was an auto when i got it and after some mild mods and a few good runs the tranny took a crap on me and i ended up just doing a 5-speed swap(R154) and after i did it the car was so much more fun to drive. My goals for the car are basicly a fun weekend car that can run low 12's on pump gas reliably, i dont need a 9 second/1000+hp wallet drainer. that brings me to another point, IF i get an auto. will it bolt up to a 1jz without major issues and will it hold the power of a bpu 1jz?? Id like to do a 2jzgte swap because it seems everyone and their brother is doing a 1jz swap these days but from what i understand 1jz is an easier/cheaper swap and if it will provide me with the power level i need ill probably go that route, then maybe later get a 2jz block and have a 1.5jz

So what do you guys think? i dont want this to turn into a 5-sp vs. auto. flamefest, just some oppinions on which way i should go for what i have in mind.
get a 5sp....it will hold it's value better and you won't regret it. (if you got an auto, it would be just like a 2-door aristo....you don't need another auto hehe)
Old 07-09-06, 10:22 AM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

well would a W58 hold the power of a bpu 1jz, and would everything bolt right up??, also im sure it would be a lot harder/expensive for me to find a 5-speed motor/ecu right?
Old 08-01-06, 09:05 AM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Default Get the auto

Get the auto for cheap and put the 6spd getrag in like I did. Bolt right up and I didn't even need to pound out the tunnel, plenty of room.
Old 08-02-06, 04:32 PM
Minuet
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by zegnaguy
Get the auto for cheap and put the 6spd getrag in like I did. Bolt right up and I didn't even need to pound out the tunnel, plenty of room.
So getrag makes a 6spd auto? If so what is the P/N? Will it bolt up to a 2jz block?

I vote for auto.
Old 08-03-06, 07:38 AM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Default I vote Auto

Originally Posted by Minuet
So getrag makes a 6spd auto? If so what is the P/N? Will it bolt up to a 2jz block?

I vote for auto.
INEEDANSC3 was looking at getting an SC300 soon. He was asking if he should get the Automatic SC300 or pay more for one of the 1500 5speeds ever made. I was just recommending saving money and buying an automatic to start with and convert to a 5spd or 6spd Like I did.

I vote for Auto, switching to 5 or 6spd later.
Old 08-03-06, 07:38 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Ineedansc3, you have not said what your power goal is for your swap, that might be helpful. The w-58 5-speed is prone to failure at much above 400 rwhp.

This topic is well documented in the Supraforums n.a. section.

Some might say that takes know how and deligence locating the needed parts from a wrecked 5-sp, not the easiest thing to accomplish.

Last edited by SCoupe; 08-03-06 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-03-06, 07:47 AM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Thumbs up Git-r-done!

Originally Posted by SCoupe
The w-58 5-speed is prone to failure at much above 400 rwhp.

This topic is well documented in the Supraforums n.a. section.

Some might say that takes know how and deligence locating the needed parts from a wrecked 5-sp, not the easiest thing to accomplish.

That's right SCoupe!! I went to my local lexus dealer and made them pick out and itemize with part numbers all the 30 some clutch pedal parts I needed (there invoice was some $800bucks) then I shopped online and UPS is delivering all those items next monday for $390 shipped.

GIT-R-DONE!
Old 08-03-06, 12:31 PM
cloudnine
Pole Position

If you have your heart set on a manual trans, you should get a 5 spd. and swap in a 6 spd. later. The getrag does cost more, but it's just so much stronger, stock, than the R154 or W58, that over a period of years it will probably save you much money, time and headaches. And if you are patient and keep your eyes open, you can get pretty decent deals. I had my SC300 for a year before I got a V160 in it. I paid $2,700 for the transmission, driveshaft, rear end, half-shafts, slave cylinder, shifter, and a few other things, all from a '94 JDM Supra TT, in a package deal from a guy who was coming back from Air Force duty in Japan. He even delivered it all to my house, since he was picking it up in Norfolk anyway (I live in Md.). In addition to the above, I did get a new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, B&M shifter and (custom) driveshaft, and I am extremely happy with this setup!
Old 08-03-06, 01:01 PM
scsrock
Pole Position

I like to drive auto if I have to drive it everyday in downtown. But I like my 5-sp because most of you prefer a 5-sp.

But if you are desperate to find one, make an offer