Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Please Help Car Wont Start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 07:13 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please Help Car Wont Start!!!

I need help fast. I was driving fine this morning and everything was perfect. I saw a s2000 with exhaust so I followed it. At the end of our little run I went over a little dip, not speed bump, and then I saw my gauge cluster turn off but the needles still on. I was like hey that's funny. Never notice that before. So I went over another dip and it happened again. I was like wow was it always like this and I just didn't notice? Couldn't be, let me ask my buddies on CL. When I got to work I stopped and put my car in park and then the gauge cluster turned off but all of my lights on the bottom turned on (abs, seatbelt, rear lights..etc.) then I was like wtf? So I put it in drive again. Gauge cluster went blank for a second with lit needles and went back to normal. Put it back in park and same thing happened. This whole time engine was running. So I had to go in to clock in so I just wanted to make sure it will turn on later so I could go get it checked out. Turned it off never came back on. I hear a little noise when I turn the key, as if it were trying to turn itself on, all of my electrical still works properly. And I'm stuck at work...HELP PLEASE!! If this was already covered please link me the link and sorry for not searching first, I don't even have internet at work, my only access is the blackberry and its so slow and hard to navigate.
Old 05-11-06, 08:07 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had problems starting last week. After reading some posts on Club Lexus, I found out
that the battery terminals sometimes get a little corroded over time.

Went out to the car with some sand paper and my toolbox. Sanded down the battery terminal
posts and the connectors. Car started up fine and no problems ever since. Try that first
and hopefully it will work.

Have you check your alternator to see if the powersteering pump is leaking on it?

Good luck mang. Being stranded sucks!
Old 05-11-06, 10:33 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Tried all of that already my electrical is working just fine and as for corrosion, mine is clean as a whistle. Power steering pump is still relatively full. Any other suggestions?? HELP!
Old 05-11-06, 12:49 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the alternator itself to make sure it's not wet?

I read somewhere that you can try to jiggle the steering wheel. There might be a weird power
clitch in the steering column.

Someone here recently said his car wouldn't start and it ended up being an ignition relay.

Sorry, that's all I can offer for now.
Old 05-11-06, 01:10 PM
CheryRd1JZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this will help you or not, but try unlocking the doors from the outside using your key. I hit a bump the other day and it knocked the battery terminal loose. When I stopped and shut the car off it would not turn back on. Come to find out the factory alarm had triggered thinking someone was trying to steal the car and it wouldn't restart or anything until I used the key and unlocked it from the outside. Loose battery terminal and bumps could explain the issues with the lights going off and on and that would also cause the all of the lower lights in your dash to come on too. Just as it does when you first start your car. It's worth a try!?!
Old 05-11-06, 01:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

When you crank the key, does anything dim at all? Does the starter rotate at all?
Old 05-11-06, 01:37 PM
CheryRd1JZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question OLT, I forgot to tell him that. When it happened to me, there was no action from anything. Even the door lock switch from the inside didn't work. It just locked the whole car down.
Old 05-11-06, 04:07 PM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
When you crank the key, does anything dim at all? Does the starter rotate at all?

yes things do dim a bit..... i hear like a little humming noise when i turn the key..... all my lights turn on... radio plays and everything... it just won't start

i don't think it's my alarm either because when i press the panic button it's still goes off.

it's at Wilkie Lexus now.... i just got my body kit done and a mishap had happened with my front bumper again.... and i'm not too happy about it being at the lexus dealership either.... the closest one to me is ghetto...customer service is poor and everything..... such a bad day.... i'm like losing my mind

Last edited by Batmobile; 05-11-06 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-11-06, 04:12 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

yes things do dim a bit..... i hear like a little humming noise when i turn the key..... all my lights turn on... radio plays and everything... it just won't start
Starter Solenoid.....have some one try and start the car , then listen to where the hummmming is coming from, if its from the solenoid they you know its that.
Old 05-11-06, 04:14 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

sounds like a main power or ground. The positive near or on the starter, perhaps.

When you went into the hole you jarred a loose connection.

By moving your shift lever from front to rear what you are actually doing is turning the reverse lights on and off. Any SC owner will see their dash flicker very slightly when they shift their car from park. This is the voltage spike of the reverse lights coming on.

Since yours is so much more dramatic, it sounds like possibly the engine block ground, or check the connection going INTO THE CLAMP on the battery. Most people inspect the clamp and ignore the wire itself. The wire corrodes where it goes into the clamp a lot of times.

Whatever it is, definitely a main connection IMO. If your lights do not dim when you turn the key to crank it, it it more likely the positive wire. Bad grounds tend to cause dimming because there are plenty of protons in the positive wire, but not enough electrons. If it is the reverse of the situation - the positive - things tend to simply go completely out since the negative ground "shorts" out the energy and destroys it. IF it lingers around dimly, you know the ground is not eliminating the protons as it should.
Old 05-11-06, 04:22 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
sounds like a main power or ground. The positive near or on the starter, perhaps.

When you went into the hole you jarred a loose connection.

By moving your shift lever from front to rear what you are actually doing is turning the reverse lights on and off. Any SC owner will see their dash flicker very slightly when they shift their car from park. This is the voltage spike of the reverse lights coming on.

Since yours is so much more dramatic, it sounds like possibly the engine block ground, or check the connection going INTO THE CLAMP on the battery. Most people inspect the clamp and ignore the wire itself. The wire corrodes where it goes into the clamp a lot of times.

Whatever it is, definitely a main connection IMO. If your lights do not dim when you turn the key to crank it, it it more likely the positive wire. Bad grounds tend to cause dimming because there are plenty of protons in the positive wire, but not enough electrons. If it is the reverse of the situation - the positive - things tend to simply go completely out since the negative ground "shorts" out the energy and destroys it. IF it lingers around dimly, you know the ground is not eliminating the protons as it should.
That's my dawg!!

Jonny