Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-06, 05:56 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy spark plugs

O my god,i had no idea how hard it is to change my damn plugs!!!!I got a 93 sc300 5spd and it is a bit*h to do,but i'm sure all of you already know that.After 2 hours of stripping 4 screws and 1 long bolt and still getting know where i decided to be smart and search it on here.I found out how to do it but now its to dark and my garage lights r not coming on,something with the wires,so my car is stuck here to night which sucks cuz i just washed/waxed it and its shine'n like the sun.But its ok for one night cuz i'm going out with my boy in his 504RWHP streetported 3rd gen RX-7.
Can't wait to get my 2JZ-GTE and just murder people around here,after modding of course.
Just thought i would share my really not so bright move by not looking up how to do it first,beginers mistake.Wont happen again. Richard
Old 04-08-06, 06:19 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Engine related post = engine forum

Moved.
Old 04-08-06, 06:29 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Engine related post = engine forum

Moved.
Its just a post man,don't know why you had to move it,wasen't hurting anyone.
Old 04-08-06, 06:38 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Can't wait to get my 2JZ-GTE and just murder people around here,after modding of course.
How old are you????

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-1st-gen-1992-2000/95303-please-use-the-engine-section-read-this-sticky-read-this-sticky-read-this.html

You really need to read this!!!!!!

Last edited by neurocity; 04-08-06 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-08-06, 07:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
If you put it in the correct spot, I won't have to move it.

We like organization.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-06, 06:46 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=neuro4you@]How old are you????

18. Yeah i relize that was a really childish thing to say after i had already posted it,i did not fell like editing it although i really should of.
Old 04-10-06, 07:06 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Its okay, I know that changing sparkplugs under the GE plenum is a pain. But if you have a healthy assortment of tools you should be okay.

Its the first time that is always the hardest to do. Try it again in about a couple of months, you will find yourself completing it in about an hour. And if you have any questions regarding the SC, chances are it has been discussed multiple times on ther forums.
Old 06-10-06, 08:27 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Default spark plug change!

Dude, Im new to this site and my car, its 1993 SC300 w/ 112k, i guess its suppose to have 225hp stock. i absolutly do not feel that in there. i finally changed the plugs and wire but now someone told me i put in the wron ones. i put i bosch +2 plugs in which are pregapped and arent suppose to be in this car. so i got some iridiums and wanna putem in but its such a b*tch to changem. PLEASE tell me where u found the instructions or lemme know an easier way to to do it. my hand bled from 7 place till i got it done. lol. THANKS, Matt.
Old 06-11-06, 07:10 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, bleeding and cursing are actually part of the manual on how to change the plugs on the 2JZ engine. It took me the whole day first time I went in. Now i'm down to maybe1-2 hours tops (mostly because I'm super careful since I dropped 2 bolts teh first time and spent almost 4 hours looking for them). But it does get easier. Having to remove the whole TB is crazy, but it give you the opportunity to clean it.
Old 06-11-06, 10:54 AM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Man, changing the plugs is no biggie. What are you doing stripping bolts and having such a hard time?.. Romove the plastic crap, remove or replace the wires, grab an extension wrench and spark plug socket and remove the plugs....Get some Bosche platinum plugs and gap and install, it's that easy...Should not take you more then 30-45 minutes tops..I have done it in 10 minutes, no lie.... If you are not using the right tools you will strip bolts and have a hard time...

Do you got some mechanical skills and tools? And do you got milk?
Old 06-11-06, 11:32 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
...Should not take you more then 30-45 minutes tops...
Well, maybe if they had a V8 like you and I, that'd be the case, but there is a lot more to remove on the inline 6.

Mpooyan - there is a very thorough post with all the instructions you need, if you're willing to search. Some Florida guy with an RX-7 bought an SC300, posted some great instructions about a year ago, and I've not heard from him since.
Old 06-11-06, 05:46 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

Default eh

I dont have alot of mechanical skills. some tho. i took out the Bosch +2 ones and put in some NGK iridium ones in (again SOOO FRIKKIN HARD TO DO!!!) i was all screaming and yelling and cursing in our townhome complex, people were staring thinking im psyco. anywho, after putting in the NGK ones, it got worse. i dont know what i did. the car barely moves now and shakes like hell. i think i did somethin wrong. i did the wire, plugs, cap and rotor. someone is a reply before this one saidthere are full instructions on here. i cant findem. i went so crazy today i think imma just give up. the car drives like a small 4 popper and shakes bad, dunno what to do. HELP!!!!
Old 06-13-06, 02:42 PM
Mpooyan83
Rookie

i got it fixed! now its just kinda slow. slow start that is
Old 06-14-06, 06:29 PM
erollinc
Driver

i just did the plugs for the first time on my 2jz and the only thing i found to be a ***** was removing the egr bolts.... everything else was easy specially if you have anouther person to hold stuff for ya .... i could do it in 30-40 min if i had to do it again
Old 06-14-06, 09:27 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing spark plugs on an SC300 isnt so hard you just kind of have to visualize what you have to do before you begin to turn a wrench. Like for example. In order to get to your spark plugs you have to remove a section of the intake manifold which sits on top of spark plugs. But in order to remove that you have to remove the throttle body but in order to remove that you would have to remove the intake. Do you see where Im going with this. Not all things are difficult unless you make them difficult. One last word of advice before you even purchase your spark plugs, make sure that they are pregapped. I learned the hard way.

Quick Reply: spark plugs