SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

>> PLEASE use the ENGINE SECTION. READ THIS STICKY! READ THIS STICKY! READ THIS......

Old 09-13-03, 04:10 PM
legendary
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation >> PLEASE use the ENGINE SECTION. READ THIS STICKY! READ THIS STICKY! READ THIS......

Don't you hate it when people don't title the thread correctly?
We do too, so let's make our thread titles informative as to what is inside. We do not like guessing games.

Folks,

I know that in our anxiety to get as many tasteful mods done to our vehicles as possible, we may inadvertently post topics in forums that are for the right vehicle, but wrong main subject. For the your convenience, and the convenience of others, here are a few simple guidleines to make your stay here more pleasurable.

Turbo/Supercharger/Nitrous Oxide (NOS) Questions - Forced Induction section

Supra Motor Swaps/Supra Motor conversion (2JZGE - 2JZGTE) - Forced Induction System

Torque Converter/Clutch/Transmission Questions - Forced Induction Section

Intake/ECU/Exhaust Questions - Forced Induction Section

Brake/Coilover/Spring/Shock Questions - Suspension and Handling Section

Strut Bar/Bushings/Sway Bars - Suspension and Handling Section

General SC Questions/Conversation - Normal SC300/400 Section

Brake/Tire/Wheel Questions - Tire Rack Forum

There is also a comprehensive FAQ on www.intellexual.net

This would make life easier for 1) searches, and 2) the average user surfing. To me, the moved post arrows are an eyesore, but it has to be done.

Search tip- Less is better. Use as little of Keywords as possible, repeat your search with only one word you may need to find what your looking for. When searching for something like "sc headers" Use SC* headers The * is the wildcard for the search function.

Happy Posting!

people (in general) just do not like putting things where they should be it seems.

----> Strictly an Example: "I need help with my SC's antenna, It's specifically about an SC"

Guess what....... every lexus has one, and it goes on the stereo. Even more thought provoking... They are all the same antenna! (different plug or mount in some cases). So a forum dedicated to LEXUS stereo's would be a golden opprotunity......... we have one (those admins think of everything )

Key or key fob question.............. security, same forum.

Example- "my car is pulling to the left, it bounces over small bumps, it needs to be lowered, should i use **** springs?"

Ding!..... Suspension forum.

Example- "My tranny shifts erratically."

need i say where this goes?

Also, for people who say "please don't move this thread!!" ..... that doesn't work If it is in the wrong forum it's gone.

Oh, and for those of you wondering why it's titled "NWS"....well, it is Nice When u Search!

Last edited by legendary; 12-03-05 at 01:25 AM.
Old 09-13-03, 07:07 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think this'll really help out new posters and also the experienced ones... however i believe moving posts is a never ending job for mods. i know i and the rest of club lexus really appreciate all the work the mods do to keep things running smooth, so let me be the first here to say thanks.
Old 09-24-03, 08:55 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Anyone who intentionally spams forums will get a non redirected move to the proper forum. Simple mistakes are fine, intentional spamming is not. You will get a PM on where your thread is.
...but if a person doesn't get a response in the sub he will post it in the main forum cause it gets more hits

Last edited by O. L. T.; 09-24-03 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-26-03, 11:45 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Constructive Suggestion Time:

There seems to be quite an emphasis on moving threads around, for the "convenience of others" and to make our "stay here more pleasurable". OK, I'll buy that.

But if that's the goal, I don't see why moderators allow threads with titles such as the actual examples below, taken from our own forum over the past few weeks:

"couple of questions"
"help 95 sc400"
"i need your opinions"
"is this supposed to happen?"
"please please help"
"unique question"

Sorry, but I don't see anything "convenient" or "pleasurable" of having to go thru these posts to find out what they are about. In fact, it is MORE inconvenient than a thread placed in the wrong forum- at least with those, you know the subject before opening them.

I know the mods do a great job. I know they are uncompensated. I'm not unappreciative. But something ought to be done. If the mods can't or won't handle the extra work, make ME a mod, and I'LL rename them!
Old 09-26-03, 11:52 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts
Default Re: Constructive Suggestion Time:

Originally posted by PERRYinLA
There seems to be quite an emphasis on moving threads around, for the "convenience of others" and to make our "stay here more pleasurable". OK, I'll buy that.

But if that's the goal, I don't see why moderators allow threads with titles such as the actual examples below, taken from our own forum over the past few weeks:

"couple of questions"
"help 95 sc400"
"i need your opinions"
"is this supposed to happen?"
"please please help"
"unique question"

Sorry, but I don't see anything "convenient" or "pleasurable" of having to go thru these posts to find out what they are about. In fact, it is MORE inconvenient than a thread placed in the wrong forum- at least with those, you know the subject before opening them.

I know the mods do a great job. I know they are uncompensated. I'm not unappreciative. But something ought to be done. If the mods can't or won't handle the extra work, make ME a mod, and I'LL rename them!
Great additional point Perry. I'll try to help out with re-titling threads some here as well.

The onus really falls on getting the members who initially make the post to put a more descriptive thread title in. If you respond to one of these, please suggest to the new member (or veteran) who made the post that they might get a better response if they did a better job titleing their post.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-26-03 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-26-03, 03:55 PM
legendary
Racer

Perry,

thank you- I normally rename/merge threads, so we will keep our eyes open.
Good feedback.
Old 09-27-03, 11:02 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Yes, I can already see a difference just one day later- many posts have much more informative titles!
Glad to see it and I hope it lasts.
I'll be glad to pitch in and help, if it gets to be an overwhelming job.
Old 10-16-03, 09:22 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

CLICK THIS

http://home.comcast.net/~bcrowder19/postplacement.wav
Old 12-23-04, 09:50 PM
LexFather

Bump
I understand many people eagerness to just ask a question and expect it to be answered. 99% of the questions have been answered. Please SEARCH and then after doing some reading, maybe refine your question for all to help answer.

If you just ask a question that may have recently been asked, it may get ignored by our members who don't want to answer the same questions again.

Happy Modding.

Old 04-07-05, 09:31 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Default Search button training.... this will actually be somewhat fun.

OK, we are going to go over some search terms and teach you how to effectively find what you need.

Most people tend to include too many keywords, or not the right one's. Also, they tend to use the vague search instead of the advanced search.

Here's an example of how you can get completely different results in making one wrong move.

Let's search for cracked center vents for the SC only. First, "SC" cannot be used in search because there is a 3 letter minimum. Most people try to go around that by using "SC400 or SC300" but that limits your search because the OP may not have included the model in the thread since he started the thread in the SC forum. At this point you have completely missed the thread right from the beginning.

So, to counteract this, go to advanced search and first choose "SC forum" from the box in the right. Now whatever you are looking for will only be found in the SC forum, and eliminate the need to use unneeded terms.

Now when the author posts a thread in this forum, you will easily find it whether or not they included their model, and you will have a more broad search.

Here is a regular search for "cracked center vent" www.trythesearch.com

So NOW go to the search term box. Type "cracked center vent" and search in the SC forum. MUCH better results are now at hand with threads specifically on what you are looking for.

www.trythesearch.com

Also keep in mind that some people actually use the proper terms so when searching for a cracked center vent you would search for "register" .

www.trythesearch.com

Now let's get technical and make the search "center register"

www.trythesearch.com

WOW, ONE thread there is your answer! No need to sift through tons of threads!

OK, someone produce another example for me here in the thread and show us how it is done Show the vague search, then a real search as shown above to produce the exact results we want.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-07-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-07-05, 09:52 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Also, under advanced search in the sc forum let's add "remove register" and go ahead and find out how to take it out.

www.trythesearch.com

You can also use more terms such as "remove cracked center vent" in the sc forum and it will take you directly to SMARK's post.

www.trythesearch.com

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-07-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-07-05, 01:42 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Similarly, the Original Poster (OP) may have used the word "cracking" rather than "cracked", so to ensure you'd pick up both instances, use " crack* ".
Old 04-07-05, 01:56 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

Did you just tell us to use Crack?
Old 04-07-05, 02:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Someone say cracker? I love salty ones.

LInks work off cookie basis, so you'll have to use my examples. The links don't work after a few minutes.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 04-07-05 at 04:25 PM.