Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

BFI and passing tech..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 02:30 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFI and passing tech..

As I attempt to do the BFI mod I decided to go at it in stages..

Right now im using that plasticly cardboard material.. that politicians use to make my cut outs. So far I wanted to work on my first chamber before moving on to my second and ram air chamber.

I havent cut my stock air box yet and Ill probably do that till im sastified with the top cover and side cover however a question dawned on me.

As soon as Im done doing the BFI, I wonder if Id be able to pass autocross tech, and tech at the dragstrip with this obvious.. mods to the filter box? Ill admit that im not the most profficient cutter and despite my best attempts I fear itll still end up looking sorta ghettoish. The only thing Ill do to cover the cutouts is spray paint them a flat black so the white pieces of sign material doesnt appear THAT obvious. I was planning to use the screws on the radiator support and the 2 that hold the airbox from the top to secure it. Although I wonder if this admittedly smooth material is the best to use to insulate it..

Also while im at it is there any measurements already made for the top cover and side cover? I attempted to make a few templates by eye but Im still a bit off.

Did I mention how much I suck at arts and crafts? man im terrible.
Old 01-26-06, 08:49 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

make some templates out of cardboard and try to oversize them. then slowly remove areas until it fits perfect, thats how i do it with anything i build. about tech for auto-x what class are you trying to run in. i would seriously doubt they will say anything to a modded stock air box.
Old 01-26-06, 11:48 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

call me up juan and ill come over and help you..and we can do mine while we are at it...of course after we practice on yours..hahaha...hit me up
Old 01-30-06, 12:32 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by modaoreoho
call me up juan and ill come over and help you..and we can do mine while we are at it...of course after we practice on yours..hahaha...hit me up

I just finished the top template... actually I ... just watched.. I gave specs out to a coworker and to a 240sx guy and had them do the.. arts and crafts part of the job cause I suck at this seriously.

Im going to be working on it some more today if you wanna show up.. I did the ram air and.. headlight cover portion of it, now I gotta think of how im going to cover the side from the motor.

Seriously no one had any issues from track officials with the bfi done?
Old 01-30-06, 01:52 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

ok i was only kidding i had tons of issues.

for real this time. like i said before most wont care unless its a drastic change. you modified your air box which about 99% of the people do and think they are getting away with, but in reality most of the techs know what to look for and can tell when something has changed so they will know u did something but the likelihood they will say something is slim to nill.
Old 01-30-06, 02:16 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
ok i was only kidding i had tons of issues.

for real this time. like i said before most wont care unless its a drastic change. you modified your air box which about 99% of the people do and think they are getting away with, but in reality most of the techs know what to look for and can tell when something has changed so they will know u did something but the likelihood they will say something is slim to nill.

I didnt mean classing issues I meant like safety issues. Sorry for the .. confusion. But I guess not thank you for answering my question twice, (I guess I can be a bit thick headed and not get it the first time.)

Like they check for lose parts like the battery and etc, I was just wondering how theyll react to a piece of.. spray painted black piece of plastic coated card board and possible some foam to the side of the airbox (still working on this part here.) That is bolted down. But from what you tell me it wont be an issue at all! I doubt theyll notice the under headlight chamber and the lowered shroud at the front for the ram air effect. Oh I will say that my car is louder and deeper with just those 2 aspects of the BFI done.

Today Ill try to drill into the airbox and finish sealing the airbox from the side.
Old 01-30-06, 05:26 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

its cool no worries. trust me your question was atleast seeming somewhat relevant so no worries. but in any event, they have hands and it they are questioning anything they'll give it a tug to see if its snug and not going to pose a safety concern. now that u say what your looking for i will say it still shouldnt be too big of a deal since people just run dryer ducting that is zip tied on to a bumper as brake ducts so i wouldnt sweat it. id be more concerned about the half assed cars that run with loose couplers and exhausts welded on wrong falling off, but thats just me
Old 01-30-06, 05:49 PM
Xevuhtess7
Pole Position

the bfi wont be a safety concern, but it puts you in a modified class (sts/stx i think). unless you're really competitive in autox i wouldnt make a big deal about running in non-stock. in my opinion it wouldnt be very cool to try and sneak your mods around tech. no one's out to get you, just ask them what class they think you should run in

unfortunately the last time i autox'ed i hadnt done anything to my car so i cant help you on how they'll react
Old 01-30-06, 06:31 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Xevuhtess7
the bfi wont be a safety concern, but it puts you in a modified class (sts/stx i think). unless you're really competitive in autox i wouldnt make a big deal about running in non-stock. in my opinion it wouldnt be very cool to try and sneak your mods around tech. no one's out to get you, just ask them what class they think you should run in

unfortunately the last time i autox'ed i hadnt done anything to my car so i cant help you on how they'll react
Actually I wouldnt mind running STS its a far more forgiving class then F stock!

But I also... had questions about being a potential fire hazzard.. that foam (from BFI 1) and the cover from BFI 2 are pretty flamable....

Im getting a fire extinguishir from work....
Old 01-31-06, 12:50 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Driving impressions..

in the low mid end there was a quite a big difference! One I could definitively feel, L and 2 are much stronger now then before. The car has a deeper grumble sound to it sounds nice!

Top end stays same as before no difference there which I was a bit surprised if there was a difference it was minor. The biggest difference can be felt around 3-5k rpms. This makes me debate if I should drill even more out of the stock airbox, currently I drilled 3 holes on the upper air box each hole having a diameter of 2.5 inches.

Also I havent resetted my ecu and Im not sure if its worth doing or not since it seems it might just learn this new driving.

Ill re track it again this saturday see how I compare to when I was bone stock.

All I have left is velcro in the foam in the side to the airbox chamber for a flush fit. Ill do that thursday.

Moe if you want give me a call then to do yours thursday might be a good day to do it. I have a template you could use and some left over sign material although youd might need to buy another sheet. Just let me know. Worth the.. 30-40 bucks I spent (had to buy some tools like the drill bit.) Same goes for Travis!
Old 02-03-06, 02:37 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Seems that modded intake overtime made the car to start hesitating slightly over certain rpms and to run sluggish around 3000-3500 rpms..

Also under 2,000 rpms. Power comes on strong after 4,000 rpms. But I fear because of this hesistation my car would actually post slower ET times then when I was bone stock! Another sign im not running right is I can't brake stand my car to 2,000 rpms like I could before but rather 1,700-1,900 rpms.

So I start searching.. and I read about people in the past having problems with the VAF sensor.. (i always thought I had a maf until now...)

I tried cleaning it.. and installing it and after holding my breath.. for about 15 minutes (car would keep dying on me..) It went back to the way before.. drivable but still hesitating.

I just cleaned the VAF itself maybe I should clean the entire aluminum chamber between the air box itself and the 3 inch intake piping that holds the VAF in place?

I really wan't to run this car on speedworld on my only saturday off for the month on the Feb 4..

Did anyone experience any problems after doing the BFI? Did cleaning the VAF and chamber help?