Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

passing emissions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 11:24 AM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passing emissions

I have the plan set, parts picked out, and shop ready to install.

I have a plan to make the CAT's removable so I can re-install them before I have to have it tested. But I still have a couple questions.

1) What kind of problems will I be dealing with as far as excessive exhaust temp?
2) are there anyother "codes" that will be tripped, ...therefore failing the car?

I live in Texas where its getting harder and harder to get by. When I had my Mustang GT, I would just take it to a shop in the 'hood, slide him $70, and he'd put a sticker on it.......those guys are getting harder and harder to come-by these days.

I just want to know if theres anything that can be done to "MAKE it pass" on the day of inspection.

I searched......but didnt find much.
....thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-05, 01:46 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry I know this may not answer your question, but what other than the removable cats, do you have on your car that might prevent you from passing? As long as you have a cat on, you really shouldnt have a problem. Ive passed w/a stock GE motor to passing w/my lightly modded(for now) 1JZ-GTE with a cat of course. Good luck
Old 11-09-05, 01:58 PM
King7Two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havent done the upgrades yet.

In Texas...the emissions laws are slowly becoming as strict as California (In DFW anyway)

they measure exhaust temp and emission output......as well as some other things. I understand that they link into the computer to make sure that there are no error codes in the engine.

I've heard of resetting the ECU (by disconnecting the battery cables) before testing. But how long will it take for the errors to show back up?

I guess I need to hear form ppl in the "Strict States" to find out how they are getting around it......or if they even are getting around it...... I may have to start looking for a way to scoot a little sideways of the law to do it.