Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Confused about something on turbo install

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 05:59 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confused about something on turbo install

I have seen people put there MAF on their intercooler piping going from the throttle body down to the intercooler and the MAF is in between. And I have also seen it placed on the intake for the turbo. Then I have seen none at all. What is the difference between the different locations??
Old 10-11-05, 10:27 AM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive always seen them mounted on the intake for the turbo, but maybe right before the TB gives a more responsive reading? Also if you run a MAP sensor then you no longer need that crappy MAF.
Old 10-11-05, 11:32 AM
Mikethe1st
Rookie

Its called a blow through setup. Most people do it so they can run their BOV to atmosphere without running rich between shifts. Plus you will have better throttle response due to it being closer to the throttle plate. With it in the front of the turbo if you have a boost leak you will run overly rich, having it after the intercooler will allow your engine to still run if for some reason you blow off a pipe before it. Hope that made sense.
Old 10-11-05, 12:26 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

its pretty common in the grand national world to put the MAF on the pressure side of the turbo system, ppl seem to get more accurate results when using an aftermarket MAF with translator ( a maf thats able to read the airflow, stock = no way in heck).
Old 10-11-05, 01:18 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Having the MAF there has its advantages, but overtime oil from the turbo will kill the sensor and you're left with a useless MAF.

Best to go with a VPC or a MAP based system or leave the MAF on the intake before the turbo and use a recirculating BOV.
Old 10-11-05, 09:21 PM
Todd_A
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
its pretty common in the grand national world to put the MAF on the pressure side of the turbo system, ppl seem to get more accurate results when using an aftermarket MAF with translator ( a maf thats able to read the airflow, stock = no way in heck).
I come from a Mustang background where they use "blowthrough" type Mass Air Meters often in boosted applications. if you run a twin turbo setup on a V8 motor then you are forced to run a blowthrough meter otherwise you would have to figure out a split mass air meter situation for the inlets of the two turbos....
In the mustang world there are 2 major manufacturers of mass air meters (MAF). Pro-M and C&L. Pro-M makes a "blowthrough" calibrated meter and C&L does not. I called C&L and talked to a technical person about that fact. He told me that it does not require a special calibration to run a meter after the supercharger/turbocharger, only that you keep the meter a certain distance from the charger and you want to attempt to position it away from any bends in the piping. That if you do have it close to a bend you should turn the electronics to where the sensor is on the outside of the bend. I was also told that ina drawthrough situation where the meter was before the inlet of the charger, you want to attempt to place the meter at least 2 feet before the inlet impeller blades because of the turbulence caused by the blades chopping the air around when not in boost where air is fast and steady. Some Turbulence can cause some metered air to be forced back past the sensor and the same air could become metered again causing a rich condition, then a lean condition back and forth. I actually experienced this phenomenon and I built additional piping , moving the meter down into the fender , further away from the turbo inlet and it did indeed correct my idling/cruising problems.

So basically what I started out to say was that I think it may be possible to use a factory MAF on the boosted side of a turbo if it is positioned correctly in relation to bends in the piping. I feel that being after the intercooler will smooth out any turbulence, so no worries there.

Sorry for the novel.

Todd
Old 10-12-05, 02:37 PM
95 Integra
Lead Lap

Really good info there.
Old 10-12-05, 07:35 PM
Mikethe1st
Rookie

Originally Posted by 95 Integra
Really good info there.
Very good info todd. C&L also had a technical article in 5.0 Mustang Mag where it also included that you should have AT LEAST 8" of straight pipe before and after the MAF to limit turbulence.
Old 10-14-05, 11:52 AM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

you will not be able to just take of the maf on our (sc300) casue you need to get a vpc or a maped ecu or do what alot of dsm guys do and grand nationals they by a maf translator and get a gm 3inch maf sensor with that setup you can put the gm maf on the intercooler pipe. thats what i am doing on my 89 toyota supra turbo cause those cars suffer from that also. the mk3 supra has a advantage we can use the lexus afm from a v8 lexus but its a specific model dont remember which one but its turns the car into a beast but its still really restrictive . i am going that route with the gm translator not sure if it will work on the sc300 havent really done much research for the sc300
Old 10-14-05, 12:16 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

also to anwer your questions correctly when you dont see no maf its cause they have standalone system,vpc,or maped stock ecu if they have it on the intercooler pipe they had a maf translator like i described in my long post (sorry about that ) and if it is in front of the turbo its stock placement any body can add more info if i am wrong. hope that helps
Old 10-14-05, 12:31 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

todd a i just read your post you think it may work on a toyota supra 89 cause if it does i rather do what you describe seems more user friendly