Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How to Remove Crankshaft Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-05, 07:18 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to Remove Crankshaft Bolt

Hey I tried the blip the starter method and its a no go on the crankshaft bolt. It worked the first time I had to take it out a couple months ago, but not this time.

Any other ideas? I've pulled and pulled as hard as I can to no avail.

If I rent some air tools do you think that could get it off?
Old 09-17-05, 11:58 PM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How Tight Did You Put It Back On?

Did you use lock-tite on the bolt when you put it back? I can't see how else you could have gotten it so tight. Using a long extension and the starter has ALWAYS worked for me on every Lexus engine I have done. There have been many. Make sure you remove the ECU-1B fuse to ensure that the engine does not start when you blip it.

Make sure the socket is not coming off when it first starts. If the bolt is that tight, and the socket did not come off, then the engine would bind once the starter engaged. Is this the scenario?

Other than that, I am at a loss as to what is causing your problem, other than POSSIBLYturning the bolt the WRONG WAY! I did not want to be a smart-aleck, but that DID cross my mind..

Last edited by gserep1; 09-18-05 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-17-05, 11:58 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive ussually.. used a wrench thats jammed from the bolt to the side of the engine bay... and then flick the ignition on and off, till its loose.

Worked for me..
Old 09-18-05, 09:24 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Inabj2
Ive ussually.. used a wrench thats jammed from the bolt to the side of the engine bay... and then flick the ignition on and off, till its loose.

Worked for me..
talk about breaking something

i use an impact my ir ti
Old 09-19-05, 01:30 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I can't get it off, I'm going to have to have it towed in and fixed.

Its impossible to turn it the wrong way when you use the starter trick. Granted my battery was weak from sitting in the garage for a month, but I jumped it and left the cables on and still nothing. Even let the battery charge for a good 20min and nothing.

The car would jump up every time I turned the starter from the breaker bar going in to the floor and trying to wrap underneath the car. IT went up a good 2-3in too. I don't know how it go on there so tight, I just hand tightened it with the breaker bar!!!!

Oh well, sometimes you just run into these types of problems.
Old 09-19-05, 01:59 PM
Project300
Driver

Default You can do it, but it takes two.

I would never use the starter to do anything but start the car. I finally found the RIGHT way to get the crank bolt off a few months ago when I was doing my timing belt and water pump.

This is the way if you have an auto trans:

Get under your car and find the rubber access cover betweeen the oil pan and the transmission on the front side of the bell housing. It is about 2 x3 inches and faces the front of the car. Pull the cover off and you can see the flywheel is directly behind it. Through the access hole between the oil pan and the transmission, stick a bar ( I used a cro bar but any long straight prying device would work) into any round hole in the flywheel and prop it against the driver's side edge of the access hole. Have another person gradually turn the crank bolt with a big breaker bar til it engages, then pull and it pops off easliy. Once I held the flywheel even my girlfriend managed to loosen the crank bolt herself with a 2 foot breaker bar. The crank bolt is tightened to 239 ft/lbs.

Soultion found.
Old 09-19-05, 02:02 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

I have a 5spd. I tried putting it in gear and even with the brake ALL THE WAY UP I was moving the car in gear...even 5th gear!!!
Old 09-19-05, 02:18 PM
Project300
Driver

Originally Posted by TMaxxTim
I have a 5spd.
If the 5-speed has no access cover to the flywheel then then there is a Lexus tool you can use to hold the crank pulley. It looks like a spanner wrench with 2 pins.