Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

piggy back on stock sc 400: results

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 08:41 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default piggy back on stock sc 400: results

I am preparing (I hope) my car for turbo (single)
I have piggy back so we tune it as NA now (just for fun) to see how much can be done to stock uz1fe

results:
cas is all stock (only temprary, not completed BFI) 1994 sc 400.

hp was 183.7 rwhp @ 4470 RPM and 313 Nm (231 Lbs) @ 3750 RPM

after tuning with piggy back:
201.4 rwhp @ 4600 RPM and 334 Nm ( 246 lbs) @3850 RPM

looks as some improvement can be done to stock car too.
we lean car in lower RPMs and loads (stock is rich there) to add better mileage too.

On the road car feel stronger and smoother than before. I will check it with g-tech as soon as possible.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails piggy back on stock sc 400: results-tune1.jpg  
Old 07-26-05, 08:58 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should do a full tune up...

183.7 rwhp from 250 crank hp? Thats like a whopping 28 percent drive train loss.... And people still dont believe me that the car had way overated hp ratings.. ALthough in this case Im convinced that you needed a tune up of some sort, youre losing power somewhere. And it happened so early in the rpm band too?

Maybe the not completed BFI is hurting you due to hot air getting in?
Old 07-26-05, 09:10 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

at the risk of sounding ignorant....what's a "piggy back"?
Old 07-26-05, 09:11 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inabj2
You should do a full tune up...

183.7 rwhp from 250 crank hp? Thats like a whopping 28 percent drive train loss.... And people still dont believe me that the car had way overated hp ratings.. ALthough in this case Im convinced that you needed a tune up of some sort, youre losing power somewhere. And it happened so early in the rpm band too?

Maybe the not completed BFI is hurting you due to hot air getting in?

According to everything I have seen and read, the 183.7rwhp JT is seeing is exactly on par for the stock 400. I don't think there is any power loss here. JT, I think I remember you posting about completing a tune up a few months back. Am I correct?

Either way, awesome increase in the numbers from the piggy-back set-up. Is this something similiar to the Apexi II unit?
Old 07-26-05, 10:25 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

I done full tune up before:
fuel filter, air filter, plugs, plug wires, cam belt, engine oil, full tranny flush

Some time was spending for dyno tuning (with afr too)
seems as STOCK it do not want make more power as 201 rwhp especially when is quite hot. we try go further but all we have was steppy curve and less output.

piggy is local Poland V-tech company unit. It is something similar to smt6. It have additional karman vortex converter (V-tech unit too) that changes Hz's it generates to piggy-friendly volts.
Basically we change MAF and air temp signal and use TPS and RPM signal too.
That piggy is handy cause have good boost ctrl function depending from anything (say gear or rpms) and full additional injectors controll too. It is small, smart device (programable from laptop) and will be use for my turbo project.

Jerry
Old 07-26-05, 10:39 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JTJerryls400
I done full tune up before:
fuel filter, air filter, plugs, plug wires, cam belt, engine oil, full tranny flush

Some time was spending for dyno tuning (with afr too)
seems as STOCK it do not want make more power as 201 rwhp especially when is quite hot. we try go further but all we have was steppy curve and less output.

piggy is local Poland V-tech company unit. It is something similar to smt6. It have additional karman vortex converter (V-tech unit too) that changes Hz's it generates to piggy-friendly volts.
Basically we change MAF and air temp signal and use TPS and RPM signal too.
That piggy is handy cause have good boost ctrl function depending from anything (say gear or rpms) and full additional injectors controll too. It is small, smart device (programable from laptop) and will be use for my turbo project.

Jerry

So the "piggy back" connects to your ECU? Effectively remapping the ECU's AFR & timing curve? Sounds great!!
Old 07-26-05, 11:03 AM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

wow! sounds cool...these piggy backs available to us in the states? how much do they cost?
Old 07-26-05, 11:36 AM
JTJerryls400
Pole Position

yes, you need cut MAF wire and air temp wire (at MAF unit) and tap at one injector wire (to sense RPMs, it can sense rpms at many ways, one easy is via injector signal) and tap at TPS wire. Need 12 v and ground too. thats all.

it is not seling in US but when Hz's converter will be production ready it can be avaible I think. Without that converter that device can be used on hot wire and MAP cars but on ours where we have karman vortex MAF it is useless. My car is test car for their converter.

Now it do not have true timing change control (it will be soon) so we use mod air temp sensor signal to change it anyway in small amount (few degrees) .
Old 07-26-05, 03:53 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,271 Likes on 1,009 Posts

Who's Piggy Back are you using ? And that is the correct HP for a Stock Intake, Stock Exhaust 95 SC400.