Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Newbie-ish Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 09:17 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie-ish Exhaust Question

Hello all, I am in the process of purchasing a '97 SC300, pearl white with 40k miles on it. I have more than a few plans for this car, but one of the first things I want to do with the Lex is add some exhaust pipes. I'm not necessarily looking for a big power gain here, and a full cat-back isn't a necessity altought it would be nice.

What I am looking for is some good looking pipes, nothing too coffee-canish, but something appealing to the eye. I also would like a little sound from the exhaust, I'm not talking about no ricer exhaust that will ruin the car's sound and smooth acceleration characteristics.

Now firstly I do apolize for asking this here, but I am fairly a newb when it comes to Lexus tuning. I have heard clips of two magnaflows on an SC3, and it sounded great to me. I also checked out some JIC exhaust that not only looked good, sounded good, and reduced backpressure. I'm afraid the price for that may be a bit out of my range however. Do you all have any suggestions about my exhaust situation? Any help is much appreciated, feel free to IM me or reply to this thread to let me know what you think. A.lso I am looking for a reputable online dealer in which you all have purchased parts and so forth.

Thanks again, Lucky D.
Old 03-16-05, 10:37 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, Welcome to the CL!

I'm afraid the price for that may be a bit out of my range however. Do you all have any suggestions about my exhaust situation?
If the JIC is out of your budget, I would suggest going with the Magnaflows with 2.25 inch custom pipping.
Here is a thread of my friend's exhaust that he recently done on his 97 5spd.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...nis+background
it'll give you some idea of how it looks and the kind of setup you are looking for. As far as budget concerns, he got his mufflers for around $180 at www.hottexhaust.com and his pipping done for $120 at a muffler shop.

Another idea is to copy the JIC system...If you can get mandrel pipes to connect together with a high flow Y pipe like the JIC system in the picture, at the same time using Magnaflow mufflers, then you got yourself a pretty nice flowing exhaust..Not exactly a simple task at hand, but it can be done..

Last edited by One HoT SC400; 03-16-05 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-17-05, 08:01 PM
Lucky Devin
Driver

Thank you for the warm welcome to Club Lexus. I have been a member for a little while now, mostly lurking, and I don't post much due to my not actually owning a Lex yet

Anyhow, thank you so much for the information. I would love to be able to get the JIC exhaust, but after I get my SC, I am going to want to do a few more minor mods before I move on to a full catback or more expensive exhaust system. I'm looking at getting coil-overs and some new rubber as my first modifications to the ride. I'm also looking at getting either an Injen intake, or the BFI I have been reading about. There are almost no modded SC's in my area (Baton Rouge), and I would like mine to be unique. Eventually I would be looking at getting a full body kit as well, but that's a whole different story. The only SC's around here seem to sit on big nasty chrome spinners and such...

I may end up getting the Magnaflows to start off with, as I mentioned I have heard a sound clip and it sounded pretty strong to me. They also look very good. I have a few other newbie questions about SC's and if you don't mind I would like to PM you to get some info so I don't have to post my stupid questions to the entire board

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 03-18-05, 07:35 PM
fredzdesig
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice Magnus - them!

One Hot,
I liked those magna's in the other post!
Question for any: If I go NOS, should I get the 3" piping or is 2.5" enough (so it's not so loud?)
Old 03-21-05, 08:33 AM
vududoc
Rookie

Originally Posted by fredzdesig
One Hot,
I liked those magna's in the other post!
Question for any: If I go NOS, should I get the 3" piping or is 2.5" enough (so it's not so loud?)
i say stay away from NOS..period. a cheap easy way to shorten the life of a nice machine.
piping should be determined on liter displacement and application. Turbo apps are frequently .5-1inch bigger than NA apps. a reduction in overall backpressure along with good bends should help. me personally would look after the cat at the Y and proceed from there. It is where the both pipes constrict down to a 2 inch. i have a picture floating around of my exhaust on the ground. You dont want to go too big otherwise your gas mileage will suffer and off the line torque. though opening it up a bit will get you better passing response.