Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400-do I need to remove throttle body to pull the valve cover off?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-05, 04:58 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default SC400-do I need to remove throttle body to pull the valve cover off?

I am changing the slightly leaking valve cover gasket on the passenger side and am having a diifficult time to remove the valve cover , its banging against the throttle body.
Do I have to remove the throttle body to?
Thanks for your help

I am also replacing grommets.
Old 03-07-05, 04:59 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

engine thread = engine forum.

i don't know the answer but if i search i am sure to find something.
Old 03-08-05, 09:37 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep. Also once you get it off if you remove the long studs that the throttle body slides on there will be no further obstruction for the pass side. making the job real easy

im sure at this point someone is going to chime in and say its absolutely unnecessary and say they can do it without removing it, but to ensure you dont scratch your valve covers and dont bend anything that doesnt need to be bent and dont drop anything into the valvetrain, i would take them off. Once you know how the TB goes on and off it shouldnt take more than 5minutes to put on anyway. Also, make sure you get all the nuts below the TB. Theyre a little hard to see. I believe its 4 nuts and 2 bolts that need to come off total.
Old 03-13-05, 05:37 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Replaced the valve cover gasket w/o removing throttle body

Just an FYI
While dreading removal of the valve cover on the passenger side because of the inabilitiy to pull it out due to the throttle body,
I found another way.
All that was really needed, was to remove the three bolts that hold the electrical harness directly under the valve cover. In addition, there is one vacuum pipe that needed to be pushed away from the valve cover. Just needed to push it out of its "slot" .
You just need to pull the cover out at the "correct" angle to get it out of that tight spot.
Also, make sure that you do a good job to blow any dirt under the throttle body to prevent sand/dirt from falling into the valve assembly after you remove the cover.
Its a little tight getting your hands down there to remove those three bolts, but I believe this is easier than removing the throttle body etc.
Dont forget to use RTV silicone in the same locations that Lexus did when they assembled the engine.
What torque did you use to tighten the valve cover bolts?
Hope this helps someone.
Old 03-13-05, 11:14 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i just realized the title says sc400...my whole thing was for an sc300. Sorry to waste your time.