Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo on high mileage SC3

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 07:27 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo on high mileage SC3

Im thinking of getting a 95 SC300 as a third car with 210,000 miles on it. Would it be safe to put a turbo on a car with such high miles? I tried a search and couldnt really find anything. I really dont want to do the supra swap because its gonna cost 10k+. How many miles do some of you turbo SC owners have on your cars? Would I have to rebuild the engine of the car Im thinking of getting so it could handle the power?
Old 06-08-04, 07:50 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

It all depends on how much power you are want to run. With that many miles on the motor, I would definately do at least a gasket rebuild, get the head cleaned up and a valve job. You could probably get away with just doing a headgasket, but I would rather save my money over the long run and do everything right the first time. The internals themselves should be able to handle a basic turbo kit (300-500hp) with the proper tuning and fuel of course. The GE block is proven to be almost just as strong as the GTE.

Last edited by MrJohnTan; 06-08-04 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-08-04, 09:00 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LeXuSrAcIn, I was going to ask the same thing.
Old 06-08-04, 09:23 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

I was wondering the same thing a couple of hours ago. I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. I have 168k miles and was thinking about a DaveH kit in the far future.
Old 06-09-04, 08:20 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

he he im begining to not like you sc300 guys....of course that will be until someone twin turbo's a sc400...hehe!

I just might have to take this matter into my own hands...well maybe if i have time.

CEO
Old 06-09-04, 08:50 AM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To rebuild the high mileage 2JZ or swap in a low mileage 2JZ? Which is a better choice?
Old 06-09-04, 08:54 AM
SlideMySC
Driver School Candidate

Build the high mileage motor, rather than drop in a low mileage one. This way you have a bullet proof, brand new motor ready for whatever you want to do with it. Its just smarter.
Old 06-09-04, 11:18 AM
RADSC
Driver

Why don't you get a JDM 2jzge and NA/T it? Then when you're finished, drop it in. No down time(relatively). And you do not have to fuss with rebuilding the high mileage engine. I do not think they carry a premium as the 2jzgte. You could probably get one for under 1K.

Alternative, locate a 2jzgte front clip.
Old 06-09-04, 01:09 PM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RADSC
Why don't you get a JDM 2jzge and NA/T it? Then when you're finished, drop it in. No down time(relatively). And you do not have to fuss with rebuilding the high mileage engine. I do not think they carry a premium as the 2jzgte. You could probably get one for under 1K.

Alternative, locate a 2jzgte front clip.
The JDM and the US are exactly the same internally. It will be too much trouble to swap it in because of the differences with the wiring harness. You are better off building the high mileage motor, since it will be much stronger than a lower mileage stock motor.
Old 06-09-04, 03:07 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm I guess Ill rebuild the motor then. Im only aiming for about 500 hp max. Well I'm saying this now but wait till i get 500 and then I'll want 600 and so on. How much hp will it take to get a SC to do the 0-60 in the mid 4s?
Old 06-12-04, 07:27 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Bump... how much hp will it get to get the SC in mid 4s?
Old 06-13-04, 12:14 AM
Verge
Rookie

will the engine take that.. who knows the 2jz is built solid, but how solid... well, people don't really know, since it's only 11-12 years old...

here's what i would do

TURBO THAT THING... if it blows or runs poor, oh well, buy a new one off ebay, rebuild it with some low compression pistons, and be pushing some serious hp.. i got a 2jz+harness for 100 bones on ebay... yea. they can be had pretty cheap... OR, it will run fine, in which case you can go talk smack to all your honda buddies about how you turbocharged a 200,000 mile+ engine, and it runs fine... which is definitely something to brag about... IMO the 2jz was one of the best built engines ever... can it handle that, well, only one way to find out man.
Old 06-13-04, 06:18 AM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would run a compression test to see where you are at with the motor. CP pistons and ealge rods are the way to go though, if you ever need to beef up the bottom end.
JPI
Old 06-16-04, 11:49 AM
T51R
Pole Position

run the compression test and leak down test to see what is the condition of your engine is.
turbo your NA , it can handle 350rwp easy with good compression motor all day long. the key is to know the condition of the engine. " tune it property is most important thing of all!" . you shouldnt have any problem with it..
I have boosted 1993 sc300 with 245000miles engine with 10psi all day long with T4 60-1.
you should be ok to turob yours.. if you thinking about pushing 500.. I would worry about tranny rather than engine if the car is tune right.
Old 06-16-04, 02:13 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by T51R
run the compression test and leak down test to see what is the condition of your engine is.
turbo your NA , it can handle 350rwp easy with good compression motor all day long. the key is to know the condition of the engine. " tune it property is most important thing of all!" . you shouldnt have any problem with it..
I have boosted 1993 sc300 with 245000miles engine with 10psi all day long with T4 60-1.
you should be ok to turob yours.. if you thinking about pushing 500.. I would worry about tranny rather than engine if the car is tune right.
Damn, you have 245k miles and no problems??? Thanks alot man. I really needed to hear that someones turboed a high mileage SC. As far as max hp, I will be happy with around 500ish. Its not like I race for money or anything so more than 500 hp will just be a waste. Did you do an engine rebuild before you dropped a turbo? Thanks alot bro.

Quick Reply: Turbo on high mileage SC3