Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

launching in sc300 5speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-04, 09:15 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question launching in sc300 5speed

What do you guyz out there wit da 5speed launch your cars at? actually how do u even launch your car. This is for a stock sc300. Been practicing but don't know if I'm doing it rite. How much are you stepping on the gas at take off? Should I be spinning my tires alittle going into second or does that mean I'm just too slow at shifting..lol.

Thanks
Old 04-30-04, 09:22 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

i rarely launch my car but i launch it around 3200rpm. i don't hold the rpm at 3200 and then drop the clutch. my car bogs a lot when i do that. i let it jump up and down... i tried this against my friends 3.2 tls and i stay with him head to head until 3rd... lol once i put it into 3rd he blows past me. these cars are slow without turbo but i guess it's fun to play around once in a while.
Old 04-30-04, 10:20 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

hmmm..what do u mean by "letting it jump up and down"? are u reving it up and down,i.e, tapping on on gas? was the tls auto or stick. dont know if it was an option too for the tl to have the 6speed in there
Old 05-01-04, 04:27 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually just launch it at 2k for a little wheel chirp. Sometimes it will bog if I floor it soon, but if I do it just right my tires will spin a little then PULL. Theres really no need to drop it anywhere above 3k. Just keept practicing and you'll get it right.
Old 05-01-04, 10:47 AM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been to scared to try it in my car... i've got 115k miles.... clutch has never been changed (and it doesn't slip *cross fingers*) and my motor mounts are bad all over.

any of you guys feel like you're putting a lot of wear and tear on the car? or does it feel like the sc300 was built strong
Old 05-03-04, 12:32 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I drive my SC3 the way my sig says.

Chirping into second gear is a sign of a good shift.
A tip for those planning to change the clutch soon: Pay for the labor. Do not try to do it yourself.
Me and my friends tried to save me some money and did it ourselves.
Boy did that not work out well.
Old 05-03-04, 07:49 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by ummagawd
I've been to scared to try it in my car... i've got 115k miles.... clutch has never been changed (and it doesn't slip *cross fingers*) and my motor mounts are bad all over.

any of you guys feel like you're putting a lot of wear and tear on the car? or does it feel like the sc300 was built strong
from the few i have driven i think they feel a lot stronger than my built honda...then again thats a totally different scenereo. My honda has a full turbo kit and everything but even the 117k mile sc i drove felt stronger. In my experiences a feathered 3000rpm launch works best then i try and shift the tranny to match the revs perfectly to keep wear to a minimum... i can't justify shifting hard to gain lose .1 secs for the wear that is put on the tranny. Its just a precautious easier way of driving i guess, atleast it works well for me.
Old 05-04-04, 09:44 AM
MrJohnTan
Lexus Champion

I rev the car up to about 3k, and I just side-step the clutch. Basically sliding my foot off the pedal to the left and letting the clutch pop back up on its own. This will get the tires spinning and then I use the throttle to control the wheelspin according to the grip on the surface the car is sitting on. Ive only tried this on my 17's. I afraid of even thinking about trying this on 19's.
Old 05-04-04, 11:23 AM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

so u just release the cluth suddenly?? the car doesn't jerk when you do this??