Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What type of Fuel Management with the DaveH kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-04, 05:25 PM
slwazdsm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of Fuel Management with the DaveH kit?

What's up guys,

I'm fairly new to the board, been viewing for a couple of months, and first time post. I just bought a 93 Sc300 5 spd about 4 days ago, and am in the process of ordering a DaveH base kit. Keep in my mind, this is my daily driver and I'm aiming for about 300-350 HP at about 6-7 psi. The piping is not a problem but here are the few questions that I might need some help on....

1. What will I need for fuel management (I DID THE SEARCH), I've read where some people just use a AFC and it runs fine, while some use bigger injectors, or go to a piggy back system like Greddy E-manage. Essentially, I will be running low boost.

2. How important is it to keep all the electronics on the intake intact? I see some people make a big deal of keeping things over there in check.

3. Do I really need to upgrade the injectors? I know supra TT injectors don't work, and what type of 88-91 RX-7 injectors do I need an N/A of the Turbo 2?

4. I keep reading that if I use an AFC, that I will have to get an LS MAF, whatthehellisthat??

5. Speaking with a local guy, he told me that I could just use a Greddy Type S BOV that I have leftover from my DSM, however I am a little hesitant. Is he wrong?

Umm, that's it for now, Thanks in advance for the help guys!
Old 04-28-04, 10:14 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What type of Fuel Management with the DaveH kit?

What turbo are you using? Are you using the one from the daveH kit or another one that you bought seperately?

Depending on horsepower levels is where your fuel management comes in...

Get a Walbro fuel pump regardless; the model you want is the GS341

If you're wanting 400hp or below (330rwhp or less) then stock fuel will be just fine; you can even push it above that level when running stock compression (seen several people running the stock injectors and pushing 375rwhp with no problem)

There are no electronics on the intake except the AFM which is one plug; of course its pretty important; maybe you meant something else by your question?

If you plan to regularly hit 400rwhp or even a little less; i'd upgrade the injectors...
as far as the injectors go you can use MKIII Supra Turbo injectors if you run a resistor pack of some sort (whether the radio shack variety or a pack from a supratt)
2nd gen RX-7 injectors will work too; i believe the 88-91 Turbo IIs are high impedance and 550cc
both of these injectors will only require minor shaving of the power plug with a dremel; its very easy to do and nothing gets disfigured

I'd get an AFC period, whether you use bigger injectors or not, and if you run 440s or 550s you need the LS400 AFM; it makes things so very easy to tune since it basically leans the car out 25% automatically because of its size difference
the AFM/MAF is a airflow meter... it measures the air coming into the intake tract... it doesnt read pressure, it doesnt work that way... it just reads airflow and measures them in hz since its a karman vortex style (just like a DSM)

you can run a greddy emanage,it also allows for ignition timing tuning; which is important especially when running stock compression

and yes you can use the greddy type s if you wish; i know a few na-t guys using that valve

Originally posted by slwazdsm

1. What will I need for fuel management (I DID THE SEARCH), I've read where some people just use a AFC and it runs fine, while some use bigger injectors, or go to a piggy back system like Greddy E-manage. Essentially, I will be running low boost.

2. How important is it to keep all the electronics on the intake intact? I see some people make a big deal of keeping things over there in check.

3. Do I really need to upgrade the injectors? I know supra TT injectors don't work, and what type of 88-91 RX-7 injectors do I need an N/A of the Turbo 2?

4. I keep reading that if I use an AFC, that I will have to get an LS MAF, whatthehellisthat??

5. Speaking with a local guy, he told me that I could just use a Greddy Type S BOV that I have leftover from my DSM, however I am a little hesitant. Is he wrong?

Umm, that's it for now, Thanks in advance for the help guys!
Old 04-29-04, 01:51 PM
slwazdsm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Bean

As for turbo size, I was looking at the T04e w .63 ar that comes with the DaveH kit, however, there is a local guy that can get me a pretty good deal on a t3/t4 bb, so I am undecided for the time being.

But you basically answered my question, for the set-up I"m planning to run the stock fuel injectors + SAFC +Walbro fuel pump is sufficient.

Unless you have some other input in the matter. Thanks again bean!
Old 04-30-04, 08:18 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything with a T3 on the model# is too small for the 2JZ, IMHO...
Look for something T4 / T60 sized or better, otherwise you'd be wasting your money. The only exception to this is if you wanted to be fully spooled at 2500rpm or are road rallying in a small course and need instant boost with no top end... If you're going to stick with stock compression, I'd lean towards ad T60 (could be SP60 - i.e. Sound Performance) I've got a T60-1 hifi which is ok with a .58 on the exhaust side, but I'd go larger if I had the chance to do it again, perhaps a .69 or .81 A/R. A larger A/R on that size turbo will make more hp at a lower boost level, but will sacrifice spool slightly. If you're staying stock compression, you spool much faster because of the extra enegery in the cylinders at a given rpm. A stock compression car with a T3/T4 would spool instantly, but would be severly over driven at high rpm and would yield a pretty flat but sad dyno curve in terms of peak hp---you'd be stomped by something like a Z06 on the highway - not good. With a well tuned 60-1 setup you'll make plus or minus 400rwhp with good top end and still have a good enough grunt off the line to get good positive boost by 2000rpm and full boost by 2800-3000rpm. Another good option is an SP63 with slightly reduced compression in the 9.0:1 region. These turbos thrive in the 15-20psi range and would yield slightly better pump gas numbers but significantly better race gas numbers. It would still be very streetable, but you'd have a little more lag than a T60-1.