NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Manually releasing parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-15, 10:36 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Manually releasing parking brake

Imagine a situation where the battery goes dead and you need a boost. How does one release the parking brake to get the vehicle into a boost-able position or a tow?
Old 05-16-15, 11:39 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Jump start, or tow using dollies or a flatbed.
Old 05-17-15, 03:55 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

I use the manual mode all the time for the Parking Brake.
Old 05-17-15, 10:41 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
I use the manual mode all the time for the Parking Brake.
he was more curious about using it if the battery is dead - how do you disengage the parking break to be towed safely.
Old 05-18-15, 06:35 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks like the GS and LS has a manual release tool. No mention of a similar tool in the NX...

LS (pg. 832) http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_07-02.pdf
GS (pg.752) http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do.../sec_07-02.pdf

Instead, the NX manual says:
Old 06-06-22, 03:46 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a somewhat similar situation that I am looking for advice on.
My 2000 NX is on my driveway at a slight angle with the front upwards.
I cannot START the engine (I'm working on an issue and it is just not startable). It may take me several days before I will be able to start the engine, but I would like to move the NX down the driveway a few feet.
I have tried several time, several approaches to disengaging the parking brake, but I've had no success (remember, I CANNOT start the engine).
I turn the ignition ON, put my foot firmly on the brake pedal, and then push down on the brake button. Nothing happens! Currently/typically, I have it set to AUTOMATIC mode, which I cannot seem to turn off either.
Per the manual, I SHOULD be able to engage/disengage the EPB regardless of whether the AUTOMATIC is on or off. But either way I've had no success. My battery is fully charged, by the way. Is it possible it's not disengaging because the car is on an angle?
Any ideas?
Old 06-06-22, 05:37 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
I have a somewhat similar situation that I am looking for advice on.
My 2000 NX is on my driveway at a slight angle with the front upwards.
I cannot START the engine (I'm working on an issue and it is just not startable). It may take me several days before I will be able to start the engine, but I would like to move the NX down the driveway a few feet.
I have tried several time, several approaches to disengaging the parking brake, but I've had no success (remember, I CANNOT start the engine).
I turn the ignition ON, put my foot firmly on the brake pedal, and then push down on the brake button. Nothing happens! Currently/typically, I have it set to AUTOMATIC mode, which I cannot seem to turn off either.
Per the manual, I SHOULD be able to engage/disengage the EPB regardless of whether the AUTOMATIC is on or off. But either way I've had no success. My battery is fully charged, by the way. Is it possible it's not disengaging because the car is on an angle?
Any ideas?
To turn off AUTO, I believe you hold the button in the down position for at least 10 seconds until the auto light turns off, then you can manually engage or disengage using the button with a much shorter press. While I do not know if this is true, from my experience, with AUTO on and on an incline, it will not disengage until in gear, my Audi does the same thing on inclines.
Old 06-07-22, 05:07 AM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuswiz
To turn off AUTO, I believe you hold the button in the down position for at least 10 seconds until the auto light turns off, then you can manually engage or disengage using the button with a much shorter press. While I do not know if this is true, from my experience, with AUTO on and on an incline, it will not disengage until in gear, my Audi does the same thing on inclines.
It doesn't seem to work for me. I cannot get it out of AUTO mode. But regardless of whether you're in AUTO or not, per the doc I should be able to disengage the brake, but apparently it's not working. YES, my car is on an incline and I'm suspecting that is the reason it's not disengaging. I've tried it in park/neutral/reverse/drive and no luck. Once I get the car running I will then try this again on flat ground.
Old 06-07-22, 04:03 PM
n0v8or
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

On my 2019 NX, the park brake auto function operates by sensing the position of the gearshift lever.
Try pressing the brake pedal and moving the shift lever without attempting to start the engine.
If necessary, you can override the gearshift interlock (*4 in the drawing; instructions below).

If you have already tried this, ignore everything I wrote .