NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Comparing NX 200t with BMW X1

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-15, 08:05 AM
F6FHellcat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparing NX 200t with BMW X1

DISCLAIMERS: (1) I concur that the more appropriate comparison is between the NX and the X3. However, a well-equipped X1 (particularly, but not exclusively, the xLine or M Sport versions) can quickly cost just as much as an NX. (2) I'm comparing a 200t (Premium Package and Navigation Package) with an X1 xDrive 28i (Technology Package, Driver Assistance Package, Cold Weather Package, and Panoramic Sunroof). BMW offers a dizzying array of X1 models, including 4- and 6-cylinders, xLine, M Sport, etc. If I missed something that would better compare the BMW apologies in advance. (3) I have previously owned a 5-series BMW and two different RX's with no automatic bias. I drove the X1 for six months. Here are my thoughts:
  1. The NX is more advanced with regard to the driver/auto interface.
  2. The NX interior is definitely roomier, particular for the front passenger.
  3. The overall fit and finish seems superior in the NX, especially the dash and door interiors.
  4. The X1 feels stiffer on the road, and that's probably intentional.
  5. The X1 has better visibility, due to larger rear windows
    The X1 panoramic sunroof is a very nice feature. On overcast days, the entire interior brightens up.
  6. BMW does a better job with the heated steering wheel.
  7. The NX navigation, music, phone, weather, etc. system is a generation ahead of the X1.
  8. BMW offers four years of free routine maintenance to the original owner.
  9. While truly subjective, the NX appearance is just completely revolutionary. X1 not so much.

You can certainly purchase some X1 models for less than some NX models. However, as I noted above, it would be real easy, feature for feature, to pay nearly as much or as much for an X1 as an NX. My conclusion, if you can get most of what you want feature-wise with an NX at a price close to the X1: Buy the NX!
Old 04-18-15, 05:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice "Cole's Notes" comparison.

Curious about these other points.

- Cargo
- NVH
- Engine smoothness, power, and responsiveness

Why did you get rid of the X1 after only 6 months?
Old 04-18-15, 08:17 PM
F6FHellcat
Driver School Candidate

• Cargo capacity seems similar to me. My X1 did not have a power lift gate though.
  • NX a bit quieter than X1. V and H not appreciably different, edge to NX.
  • NX engine is smoother, although X1 can really jump if you punch it. By the way -- check out the Tesla for pure, awesome, zero to sixty acceleration.
Old 04-19-15, 03:40 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Comparo! Ruled out the X1 and Mercedes GLA as they were just too low to the ground. We were looking for something smaller for my wife but those two have a regular car's seating height and she really likes the higher seating of an SUV.

To me, that is one of the biggest initial differentiators with these cars and why the NX was high on our list from the start.

Last edited by DigMyM35x; 04-19-15 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-19-15, 04:32 AM
F6FHellcat
Driver School Candidate

Good point! I should have mentioned that because the height difference was noticeable to me too, and one of the reasons we switched.
Old 04-19-15, 06:32 AM
figjam1510
Driver School Candidate

X1: If I wanted a station wagon, I'd get a proper wagon or an Audi allroad.
Old 04-19-15, 08:19 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

x1 is the gateway suv. Its good for those who want the BMW driving experience without going crazy on the wallet (and for those who want to go crazy on the wallet you can )

BMW vs NX:
space wise the NX has a better 2nd row. The X1 is TINNNYYYY. Plus the rwd architecture transmission tunnel is soo bad, the middle row is a prison sentence.

The NX has a bigger boot I thought? Can you confirm the X1 was the same in capcities?

Driving experience is bar none BMW. I mean the x1 drives like its on rails, vs the nx which again is good, but you can only do soo much with a FWD car. The A/T and engine combo is one of the best in the biz, and BMW notoriously underrates their engine outputs so while the b/w might say the NX and X1 28i are on par, its not.

At this point would I get an NX over a X1 yea for sure. The x1 is getting old, has no cupholders (the one they include is the same crap MNC autochains sell to clip on the windows for $1).

The tech is better (more modern autonomous systems). I Drive still wipes Lexus touch anyday. Better screens, better software, more intuitive, crisp response.

BMW X1: For those who want an affordable ultimate driving machine and would ignore less space, station wagon looks, and aging platform on its way out.

Lexus NX: for those want the latest and greatest while compromising on infotainment and driving experience (not too much but still FWD cuv).
Old 04-20-15, 10:10 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
x1 is the gateway suv. Its good for those who want the BMW driving experience without going crazy on the wallet (and for those who want to go crazy on the wallet you can )

BMW vs NX:
space wise the NX has a better 2nd row. The X1 is TINNNYYYY. Plus the rwd architecture transmission tunnel is soo bad, the middle row is a prison sentence.

The NX has a bigger boot I thought? Can you confirm the X1 was the same in capcities?

Driving experience is bar none BMW. I mean the x1 drives like its on rails, vs the nx which again is good, but you can only do soo much with a FWD car. The A/T and engine combo is one of the best in the biz, and BMW notoriously underrates their engine outputs so while the b/w might say the NX and X1 28i are on par, its not.

At this point would I get an NX over a X1 yea for sure. The x1 is getting old, has no cupholders (the one they include is the same crap MNC autochains sell to clip on the windows for $1).

The tech is better (more modern autonomous systems). I Drive still wipes Lexus touch anyday. Better screens, better software, more intuitive, crisp response.

BMW X1: For those who want an affordable ultimate driving machine and would ignore less space, station wagon looks, and aging platform on its way out.

Lexus NX: for those want the latest and greatest while compromising on infotainment and driving experience (not too much but still FWD cuv).

Good arguments and the fact that the X1 is based on the prior-gen 3-series explains its handling prowess. The X1 is essentially an elevated 3-series "wagon".

As for cargo behind the seats, NX is rated at 17.6 cu ft (500 L) while the X1 is 25 cu ft, but the NX's measurement is from the tonneau cover down vs the X1's is the entire volume to the ceiling. Measuring like for like, figure about 26+ cu ft for the NX: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...nt-for-nx.html
Old 04-20-15, 11:31 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife is driving her second X1 and she says it is just the car for her. Although it is classified by some motoring magazines as an SUV, it is rather a cross-over from an SUV to a station wagon. The NX to imo doesn't fall into this genre and leans much more towards an SUV. It looks more balanced and by judging from the RX, will just not have that annoying over-engineered-difficult-user-unfriendly character of the BMW.
I had many BMW's, but you're only a die-hard BMW man, until you've owned a Lexus.
Old 04-20-15, 12:11 PM
wildeklave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Good arguments and the fact that the X1 is based on the prior-gen 3-series explains its handling prowess. The X1 is essentially an elevated 3-series "wagon".

As for cargo behind the seats, NX is rated at 17.6 cu ft (500 L) while the X1 is 25 cu ft, but the NX's measurement is from the tonneau cover down vs the X1's is the entire volume to the ceiling. Measuring like for like, figure about 26+ cu ft for the NX: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...nt-for-nx.html
I did a rough calculation and got 23.65 cu ft of cargo with the rear seats up

Based on:
45 inches wide (you have the wheel wells popping up a little)
35 inches of length from the rear seat to the gate (again this is a rough estimate)
28 inches of height by the rear seat to the cargo floor
17 inches of height near the rear hatch from the floor

The RAV4 and CRV are a bit more boxy and less sloped so can offer more cargo space
Old 05-04-15, 09:38 AM
matjen1
Driver School Candidate

I own a 2015 X1 Xdrive28i Msport but have driven the NX200T F Sport twice and I am recommending it to my brother. Both are fine cars but I think a few things have been left out and I would quibble with a few.

Overall fit and finish of interior is definitely a plus for the Lexus. I would call front seat space about a draw and rear seat space goes to the Lexus. X1 has more hard plastics and doesn't feel as modern/special on the inside.

NAV/Electronics is a draw. iDrive is a very good system although the X1 does not have the ability to read handwriting like the very newest iDrive systems do. I could see someone liking the Lexus system better b/c screen a tad larger but touch pad is fiddly IMO.

Auto liftgate is nice and X1 doesn't even have an option for that. Lexus doesn't have folding side view mirros which X1 does have.

Handling, performance, raw speed all go to the X1. Not very close actually. Moreover, there is a very large aftermarket for BMWs and you can be pushing over 300HP and over 300LB TQ with a tune for as little as $500 or with a warranty and dealer installed for $1750 using Dinan (I have this and car flies up to about 90)

The X1 has a sweet XF 8-speed transmission which is superior. 6-speed in a newly designed 4-banger turbo? Really Lexus?

With $900 Harmon Kardon option the stereo in the X1 is way better.

Panoramic sunroof . Big plus to X1. Really nice feature that makes the car very airy whether opened or closed. Hard to sit in another smaller vehicle without it. Back seat of Lexus feels dark (black leather) and smaller than it is compared to X1.

The AWD in the X1 is superior. It is rear wheel biased while the Lexus is front wheel biased and is a simpler slip and grip type of system that can only put up to 50% of power to rear. With Msport, X1 also has torque vectoring (side to side) which improves handling.

Last edited by matjen1; 05-04-15 at 10:18 AM.