Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Audi Sport set to combat BMW M, Mercedes-AMG

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 10:44 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Audi Sport set to combat BMW M, Mercedes-AMG

"Essentially, the name Audi Sport positions an enterprise already used to become better-recognized by the public and sets itself up to grow as a result."

BMW has its M performance subsidiary. Mercedes-Benz has AMG. So what does Audi have? Some would say "nothing," a few would answer "Quattro," while many others would respond to that by saying, "Don't be stupid, Quattro's their all-wheel drive system."

Well, it is, but Quattro GmbH is also the name of the company that has been tasked with creating Audi's highest performance cars, plus special-order customization, customer racing, and the Audi Collection of merchandise. Trouble is, nobody really knew that, as it was in no way a public-facing brand. That all changes with the entity now rechristened as Audi Sport. It doesn't stop there.

"We wanted to have recognition for the R8 and RS models on a broad level," said Filip Brabec, vice president of product development. Audi Sport allows those models to be more easily identified as something different and special, much as AMG models are. "It's not just a piece of marketing material, but it'll also be recognized at a dealership."

Around half of Audi dealers in the United States have signed up to be Audi Sport dealers, granting them unique training, access to track events and signage. The dealer buildings themselves will have special areas devoted to Audi Sport.

So essentially, the name Audi Sport positions an enterprise already in use to become better-recognized by the public and sets itself up to grow as a result. But be it called Quattro GmbH or Audi Sport, what is it that they exactly do?

Besides the R8, which it completely developed and manufactures, all its RS models are done in concert with Audi AG. Yet, that "done in concert" process has changed a bit over the years and head of Audi Sport product development Stefan Reil has been there from the RS cars' beginning 19 years ago.

"When we started, our cars were launched in the last one or two years of the base Audi cars," Reil said. "We started development when the base cars were already in development or on the road. Now we have a much closer interaction with the people at Audi AG. Even when they start the concept work for the new car, we are right there in that process."

In the beginning, his small team would work on developing one car, finish it, and then move onto the next. Now, his much larger team is running multiple projects at the same time. The result is a portfolio that includes the existing R8 and RS7, plus this year's added RS3 and RS5.

The process for building the cars themselves has changed quite a bit as well. "With our first projects, the RS4 in 2000 and RS6 in 2002, we got from the standard assembly line A4s and A6s that were, I call them, '75-percent' cars. So there was some assembly work to do in the engine compartment, there wasn't any plastic exterior parts – the bumpers were missing. The car would come to our facility and in 15-20 hours we would bring it from 75 percent to 100.

"Of course, when you go into higher volume and have a wider portfolio, and from cost aspects, that's not the way it should be done."

As a result, today's RS models roll down the same assembly line as their plebian siblings. Audi Sport invests in modifying the existing factory to accommodate its cars, builds the appropriate special parts and manages the logistics of getting them to where they need to be at the right time in the assembly process. Audi Sport engines are also built in Audi's same mega engine factory in Hungary. Most roll off the same assembly lines as every other engine, although the R8's V10 and the RS3's inline-5 are produced by a single worker.

Audi Sport manages the Audi Exclusive line of customization in a similar way for those models eligible for the program – Audi Sport or not. Let's say you want an A8 with pink leather to match your favorite nail polish.

"We will organize the complete process," Reil explains. "We will organize the tinting of the leather, we will build the seats, the door covers, the armrest, everything you want to have in that special leather color. These parts are built by the supplier and we organize the logistic process so that your special parts are delivered to the point in the assembly line where they are built on the car."

Doing so keeps costs down and assures the same quality as any other vehicle rolling down the line. "For the employee at the assembly line who mounts the seat in the car, it's no matter if the seat is red, yellow, or black, they have to tighten the screw and that's it. There's no deviation in the process."

And now there will be less deviation in the work the company does and the public actually recognizing it.
Source
Old 04-21-17, 09:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think audi has really proven themselves with the RS series, they are ready to go against bmw m and mb amg i think.

really happy about that
Old 04-21-17, 10:00 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think audi has really proven themselves with the RS series, they are ready to go against bmw m and mb amg i think.

really happy about that
I'd take an Audi RS7 over the M5 or E63 AMG-Benz any day of the week. Much better looking car, similar performance.
Old 04-22-17, 01:09 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

really happy about that
That's what I thought, don't they already have the S and RS line? Audi sport sounds little weak.
Old 04-22-17, 02:56 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

All this and yet they axed their much anticipated Sport Quattro coupe prototype with AWD and a turbo inline-five. A niche halo car? Sure... but that more than anything represented their best high performance heritage in Group B rally.

I'm not knocking Audi's RS models. They're very good. I just find it telling that they'd shelve the Sport Quattro Coupe.
Old 04-22-17, 05:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont think I ever saw an RS model on the street. There are pleny of S models, but not RS.
Old 04-22-17, 10:30 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd take an Audi RS7 over the M5 or E63 AMG-Benz any day of the week. Much better looking car, similar performance.
RS7 would be slightly more comparative to a M6 Gran Coupe and CLS63 AMG, but they all are based on their respective sedan sibling so I see what you're saying.
Old 04-22-17, 05:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
RS7 would be slightly more comparative to a M6 Gran Coupe and CLS63 AMG, but they all are based on their respective sedan sibling so I see what you're saying.
correct, rs7 is against m6 gc and cls63. i think they all look sick. i probably prefer cls63 over rs7 with m6 last
Old 04-22-17, 05:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rs7>m6gc>cls63
Old 04-22-17, 11:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Audi is such a confused brand (like VW). They already have what they are trying to achieve. It's called "S-Line," "S", and "RS." Those names have already made a name for themselves in the industry- no need to confuse things further. It's bad enough they just named their updated Quattro "Ultra" while also naming their base A4 engine "Ultra" at the same time! So can you now buy an Ultra Ultra? Totally stupid!

And since I mentioned VW, they really have to pay better attention. All new Passats come with a "TSI" logo on the decklid. Way too close to "TDI," which is something they are desperately trying to forget. From ten feet away, every Passat looks like a TDI.
Old 04-23-17, 02:03 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Audi is such a confused brand (like VW). They already have what they are trying to achieve. It's called "S-Line," "S", and "RS." Those names have already made a name for themselves in the industry- no need to confuse things further. It's bad enough they just named their updated Quattro "Ultra" while also naming their base A4 engine "Ultra" at the same time! So can you now buy an Ultra Ultra? Totally stupid!

And since I mentioned VW, they really have to pay better attention. All new Passats come with a "TSI" logo on the decklid. Way too close to "TDI," which is something they are desperately trying to forget. From ten feet away, every Passat looks like a TDI.
^ That is rather dumb, I forgot VW branded their gas engines "TSI". VW really does need to change the way they market themselves and their engines, get away from the diesel scandal. Maybe use the world "gasoline" a lot in their marketing and somehow use the world "gasoline" as part of an acronym for their gas engine offerings. Call them GTE or something like that, stands for "Gasoline Turbocharged Efficient"
Old 04-23-17, 06:48 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Agreed. And Ultra on the A4 is the lower model. I'm an Audi owner and I had to ask in the forum what Ultra meant. It actually means less horsepower and greater fuel efficiency in the A4. Quattro Ultra in the Allroad refers to the AWD system. Very confusing.

Yes, for Audi, the "S" and "RS" nomenclatures especially have brand awareness. "Sport" these days is tacked on every car from a Corolla S to a Hyundai Santa Fe. Not sure what their brand folks are thinking.

Last edited by dseag2; 04-23-17 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-23-17, 08:04 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well, they have time to change it in a year or two. Just like how Mercedes dropped AMG sport shortly have launch. That made perfect sense too, and now we have weak 43 models.

Agree with everyone here they should just use RS as their flagship sport nomenclature