NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Receiving and Sending Text Messages

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 10:39 AM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Receiving and Sending Text Messages

Can a NX receive, read to me and send text messages? My wife's RC can so she says. I have an iPhone 6.
Old 10-08-16, 10:56 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

After pairing your phone, on your iPhone go to Settings > Bluetooth > click on the blue i > Show Notifications turned on.
Old 10-08-16, 11:26 AM
MKenM
Advanced

The blue i is not in my menu unless I'm looking in the wrong place. Under phone I found an icon of an envelope and when I clicked on it, it said "You may need to operate your device to allow messaging access. Waiting for device.....

So what am I doing wrong? Thanks for the quick reply!!!

BTW does it read the text messages?
Old 10-08-16, 11:42 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

while driving, when text message comes in, you need to use mouse pad to click on Read or Ignore. If Read, the voice will read it out loud. Sending text is also possible, press and hold off hook, Siri should come on, I say send text to XXXXX. Siri says what do you want the message to say.

I love mouse pad, hate the lever on other lexus models. Yes i turned off haptic feedback. Does anyone know if the lever on other models can have haptic feedback turned off too? I had difficulty using lever while test driving GS. So slow.
Old 10-08-16, 04:07 PM
MKenM
Advanced

If in fact I can receive text messages I can't seem to be able to turn the feature on. I sat in my car with the engine running, used my wife's phone and sent myself a text. It came in immediately on my phone but nothing on the infotainment screen. I must have something set wrong or turned off.
Old 10-09-16, 11:01 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am finding the same thing, I don't even have the settings shown in my manual to select messages. Could this feature be disabled in Canada, like some of the other Entune features?
Old 10-10-16, 10:43 AM
KGBAgent
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in Canada and it worked for me for the first week or so after picking up my vehicle last October. I had a Galaxy S5 at the time that was on Android 4.x - the upgrade to 5.0 came out a week later from Telus and it's been broken since. The odd time it will remember to work and show texts and/or emails on my NAV screen but most of the time it won't. This year my S5 upgraded from 5.x to 6.x and it is still broken. I have since changed to an S7 and it hasn't worked since day one, it's the same scenario it will work when it feels like it but 99% of the time I won't even know I got e-mails or text messages unless I look at my phone when I get to wherever I'm going.

I brought it up to the dealership last year at my 1600km and they told me there was a software update, which must have been version V15A8872, they installed that for me and it's still exhibiting the same behavior. Everytime I bring it in I've brought up how it's still not working, they check for software updates and they say what I have is the latest version and they've had staff members with both Apple and Samsung phones pair their phones to my car and they say it works fine, so I'm scratching my head here on how to get it to work 100% of the time :/
Old 10-10-16, 11:06 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
If in fact I can receive text messages I can't seem to be able to turn the feature on. I sat in my car with the engine running, used my wife's phone and sent myself a text. It came in immediately on my phone but nothing on the infotainment screen. I must have something set wrong or turned off.
Did you ever turn on "Show notifications"? On your phone Settings>Bluetooth>Lexus NX and the little circled "i". After turning this on, restart the car before testing so the car can see the change. Also if you have the text screen open on the phone, the phone assumes you're reading the text there and won't send it to the car. So make sure the screen is locked or at least not on the messaging screen.
The following users liked this post:
batchelor (12-07-16)
Old 10-10-16, 12:16 PM
batchelor
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
Did you ever turn on "Show notifications"? On your phone Settings>Bluetooth>Lexus NX and the little circled "i". After turning this on, restart the car before testing so the car can see the change. Also if you have the text screen open on the phone, the phone assumes you're reading the text there and won't send it to the car. So make sure the screen is locked or at least not on the messaging screen.
Thank you, that was exactly the issue! 😊

I really appreciate the responses and information this forum provides.
Old 10-10-16, 03:26 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Originally Posted by batchelor
Thank you, that was exactly the issue! 😊

I really appreciate the responses and information this forum provides.
Ditto!!! Had it off will try it again tomorrow. Thanks for the info.