NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

you getting hi-beamed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 10:23 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default you getting hi-beamed?

Anyone else getting oncoming cars flicking their hi-beams at them? My NX has standard headlights, and every so often, people think I have my hi-beams on, when I don't.

Tonight, I thought a bicyclist was coming toward me with a strobing light (bright), it turned out to be a jack*ss pedestrian shining a bright strobing flashlight at me, even as I was passing him. Jerk thought I was hi-beaming people.
Old 03-12-16, 12:15 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I do. More so than any other car that I've had. At first I thought it was because I had a loaded cargo area and snowboards on my hitch. However, with an empty NX, I have gotten flashed at, but not as much as when it's loaded.

I took mine in for its first free 8,000 km maintenance last week and had them check the aim of the lights. They are at spec and no adjustment was necessary.
Old 03-12-16, 01:27 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a NX owner, I hardly get to see them around, and I get excited when I do because I don't see many of them.

The other day it happened that I saw a white NX while I was walking to work with the triple beam headlights ON and I though the driver had high beams on but it was just the standard beam.

The projector seems to shimmer if you look through it sideways and it "looks" like it is on high beam. And with the bright white light, it gives the impression that the lights a really bright.

The lights BTW are amazing, but the cut off is a little low for my liking. But with the high beam on, these lights are a dream to see in the dark with.
Old 03-12-16, 02:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

So I'm not the only one with this problem?

Without a doubt, the NX's triple beam headlights are the brightest I've ever had in any car.
Old 03-12-16, 05:21 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 611 Likes on 413 Posts

I don't have the triple beam headlights and I've been hi beamed many times...
Old 03-12-16, 05:39 AM
dCota
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the triple-beams and have never been "flickered" at.
And they really ARE a dream at night! And when my high-beams are on......WOW!

Best,
dCota
Old 03-12-16, 09:30 AM
15RC350F
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My single-beams are awesome. Been flashed once. I flashed back.
Old 03-12-16, 06:32 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 721 Likes on 528 Posts

The triple LEDs are indeed awesome. We were really on the fence the night we bought the NX, as we liked the former RX so well, but taking the NX for a drive at night was the final straw that pushed us over the edge. Not saying the standard lights aren't good too, but the LEDs are incredible. And no, we didn't buy the NX because of the lights, but it just sealed the list of pros for us (and yes, sadly we did make a list...).

As to the actual question at hand, haven't driven ours enough in the dark yet to really have a valid response. Only a couple hundred miles on the ODO. trying not to drive too much until the clear bra is installed (coming this Wednesday). But they are so "illuminating" I can certainly understand why you might get flashed. Oddly enough, that used to happen to me in my Ford Ranger all the time. Never in any of our Lexus vehicles though.
Old 03-12-16, 07:02 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah I same here too.

The headlights on the NX are brighter than normal.

Plus you have three sets of lights between the headlights, running lights and fog lights.
Old 03-13-16, 04:27 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tresmith00
Plus you have three sets of lights between the headlights, running lights and fog lights.
The three sets of lights make the NX very distinctive and nice.

What set of three headlights that look ugly are the ones on the Jeep Cherokee. It front looks like a mutated alien of some sort...

Old 03-14-16, 04:02 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We got flashed almost every time we drove at night. You could see the low beam cutoff at the roofline of oncoming traffic. I had them checked at the 10K service and adjusted. They are now slightly low, but we don't get flashed anymore.
Old 03-14-16, 05:08 PM
Toneroni
Driver School Candidate

Triple beam cut off seems pretty good.
Old 03-14-16, 08:43 PM
skabei
Driver

There are a lot of NX's where I live and in the face of an on-coming NX at night, I don't feel like they're high beaming although they are fairly bright. Do the non-jewel headlights have a higher cut-off than the jewels? Most NX's in my area (Toronto) are F-Sports which come default with the jewel headlights (in Canada they're default on F-Sport).

I've gotten flashed once when waiting at a traffic light by two of the cars in the oncoming lane. I thought I legitimately had my high beams on or I didn't have my headlights on at all but they were fine.

One thing that I notice though is that with the front-turn signals, you can see street signs light up brightly from the check-mark lights. Even traffic signs as high as normal traffic lights reflect brightly. I think the turn signals, due to the positioning and the angle, might be very bright for on-coming cars.
Old 03-15-16, 10:55 AM
Drtbk4ever
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skabei
One thing that I notice though is that with the front-turn signals, you can see street signs light up brightly from the check-mark lights. Even traffic signs as high as normal traffic lights reflect brightly. I think the turn signals, due to the positioning and the angle, might be very bright for on-coming cars.
Yes those turn signals are quite illuminating.
Old 03-15-16, 11:06 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by skabei
The turn signals are more omni-directional, which cause a wider field of vision (light throw). Also, being LEDs and brighter than incandescent bulbs, they reflect off objects all around (up high and down low). The LED headlamps are more directional.

Quick Reply: you getting hi-beamed?