NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Cargo net issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 03:32 AM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Cargo net issue

The cargo net when attached to the suggested mounting points blocks the descent of the 2 cords that hold up the rear cargo cover. The result is that the cord doubles up on itself and jams in the rear door frame. To avoid this there are 2 metal rings on the rear pillar that you can connect the cargo net. You need 2 additional clips Similar to those on the base of the net to use these mounting points.
I am getting the impression that the accessories have not been very well thought out.
Old 01-02-16, 09:00 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000
The cargo net when attached to the suggested mounting points blocks the descent of the 2 cords that hold up the rear cargo cover. The result is that the cord doubles up on itself and jams in the rear door frame. To avoid this there are 2 metal rings on the rear pillar that you can connect the cargo net. You need 2 additional clips Similar to those on the base of the net to use these mounting points.
I am getting the impression that the accessories have not been very well thought out.
Think it might just be you, mine works great.
Old 01-02-16, 10:36 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks- had not noticed, but the round rubber "weights" do hit my net when it's attached to the upper "grocery hooks" and cause slack in the cords. Sometimes the cords fall across the rubber weather stripping into the outer channel, and other times fall within the cargo area. Thanks for finding this. I tried a small carabiner on the pillar tie-down points but it leaves a lot of vertical slack on the net and still can create the problem. I wonder if a heavier weight on the cords would help? Don't have a solution but the cords would get wet and grimy if they fall in the channel and you drive in a storm.
Old 01-02-16, 08:37 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Think it might just be you, mine works great.
Mine does, too.
Old 01-04-16, 08:03 AM
philwojo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had this problem, but I can see what you are saying at least. I haven't looked, but how easy would it be to put on a metal washer or 2 or 3 to the bottom of the cord to add weight to it to help this issue?
Old 01-04-16, 08:30 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by philwojo
I have never had this problem, but I can see what you are saying at least. I haven't looked, but how easy would it be to put on a metal washer or 2 or 3 to the bottom of the cord to add weight to it to help this issue?
For my part, I'm first going to try getting a plastic clip to attach to the top of the net in lieu of the cord loop, then try hooking that to the cargo hooks instead of the grocery hooks. Your idea could work but it's easy for anything to get tangled in the net, and the net sits right under the current rubber weight.

About 50% of the time the cords fold into the car after the round soft rubber washer hits the net, about 50% across the rubber and into the channel. You need to be standing beside the car to even notice because of the dark glass. I expect this is a "universal Lexus" net because my ES300h had the same top loops and attached to its grocery hooks. The NX manual on page 440 appears to show the top fastened to the cargo hooks, not the grocery hooks, which is not feasible with the loops unless you tied them.

The only issue I have had with the NX--very minor.
Old 01-07-16, 08:49 PM
JediDon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed this issue on mine too. I made a note of it on my Lexus survey. How can people not have this problem if they have the cover and cargo net installed? Those round rubber weights go straight into the cargo net. I'm not worried about the cords getting wet, but having moisture leakage in the rain if the seal integrity is reduced by the trapped cord.
Old 01-07-16, 11:16 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JediDon
I noticed this issue on mine too. I made a note of it on my Lexus survey. How can people not have this problem if they have the cover and cargo net installed? Those round rubber weights go straight into the cargo net. I'm not worried about the cords getting wet, but having moisture leakage in the rain if the seal integrity is reduced by the trapped cord.
Agree, inherently poor design. A minor problem that can cause major issues with water leaks. You simply don't get these type of problems with the level of engineering in a Merc for example.

And yes some people are just clueless.
Old 01-08-16, 03:51 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You simply don't get these type of problems with the level of engineering in a Merc for example.
No, you get a plethora of huge ones
Old 01-08-16, 11:58 AM
NXOwner
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

You simply don't get these type of problems with the level of engineering in a Merc for example.
Agreed...especially the outboard models! Oops! You said "merc", so I assume Mercury marine engines for boats.

If, by "merc", you mean "MB" or "Mercedes", they have their collection of small issues, as well. Additionally, they have a surprisingly amount of larger issues after a few years, unlike Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, etc.
Old 01-08-16, 12:12 PM
jim256
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NXOwner
If, by "merc", you mean "MB" or "Mercedes", they have their collection of small issues, as well. Additionally, they have a surprisingly amount of larger issues after a few years, unlike Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, etc.
Been there--and you don't need to go back to the dealer and wait for "parts sent for your specific car from Germany" when the (optional) cargo net has contact with a string.