Question on NX USB by Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-15, 09:27 PM
davidimas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Question on NX USB by Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I am very keen on purchasing an NX Sport Luxury, but I cannot seem to get an answer to what I thought would be a fairly common question. What music files will the NX play via USB , when fitted with the Mark Levinson sound system. Furthermore, what resolution files and what restrictions are there and cover art size. I am VERY keen on listening to quality music recordings and this is a critical issue for me with any car purchase. ( I am used to holding several thousand tracks on a USB in my car )

I have scoured the net and read some information on the subject of USB attached music files , but there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on what will work and what will not work on the car.

I have been to two Lexus dealers and neither can tell me anything about this subject and despite repeated follow ups, no information has been forthcoming. I have even visited with a USB stick with examples of albums held in ALAC, MP3, FLAC and WMA form ( recorded on a FAT 16/32 memory stick ) and the dealer could not get any of them to work in the car. He then tried himself later and rang to tell me that he could only get MP3 to work and only when there was a handful of tracks on the stick. I have also contacted the Lexus customer support service via email and then by phone , and they too could not give me any answer their written response was " Thank you for contacting Lexus Australia.

It is best to speak to your preferred Lexus Dealer in regards to the Audio on your preferred Lexus model. "

So , I am totally frustrated in my attempts to answer this question and possibly buy an NX.

Can anyone on the forum tell me which format files the NX will play ? ( FLAC, ALAC, MP3, WMA, etc ) What resolutions can it handle ? ( 16 bit 44khz, 24bit 92khz, 192khz, etc ) and what is the maximum cover art size? And finally what USB file systems are supported? ( FAT , NTFS, etc )

I would appreciate any help you can provide, as I am keen to create a test USB stick to enable me to finalize my purchase decision...

Thank you

David Imas
Old 12-28-15, 05:18 AM
TeaAholic1
Intermediate

Hi David.

Which dealership did you go to? Melbourne City Lexus or Lexus of Blackburn?

Generally, I would advise you to buy a cheap iPod and use that as the player. It will support the file structure for you to navigate on the car's infotainment system.

For USB, generally it needs to be formatted as FAT and MP3 or AAC files from 128-320kbps. This is not just Lexus, but all cars.

Here is what I found in the user manual:

■ USB memory
● Compatible devices
USB memory devices that can be used for MP3, WMA and AAC playback.
● Compatible device formats
The following device format can be used:
• USB communication format: USB2.0 FS (480Mbps)
• File system format: FAT16/32(Windows)
• Correspondence class: Mass storage class
MP3, WMA and AAC files written to a device with any format other than those listed above may not play correctly, and their file names and folder names may not be displayed correctly.
Items related to standards and limitations are as follows:
• Maximum directory hierarchy: 8 levels
• Maximum number of folders in a device: 3000 (including the root) • Maximum number of files in a device:9999
• Maximum number of files per folder: 255
So I guess the NX will play .mp3, .m4a, .wma extensions on a FAT32 formatted USB drive.
Old 12-28-15, 01:13 PM
davidimas
Driver School Candidate

TeaAholic,

Thank you for your response, it was very helpful, although it is strange that my test USB with Mp3, ALAC(MP4) and WMA files would not work at the dealer. My previous visits were to Lexus of Blackburn and Brighton Lexus and both of them had no clue on what files should play . I will revisit one of the dealers with a different USB and try again to see if we can get it to work .

Thank you again for your response

David Imas
Old 12-28-15, 05:30 PM
Mr645
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use an iPod you can play uncompressed AAC files which are CD quality. Other options may work but I know this combination does
Old 12-31-15, 04:32 AM
filippos
Driver School Candidate

I have the pioneer 10 speaker system and it plays wma lossless files with no problem.. only problem was that i had to convert all my flac, wav, audio cd to wma.. i used windows expression encoder 4 which is for free...
also mp3 at maximum 320kbps is fine too.
Old 12-31-15, 05:15 AM
davidimas
Driver School Candidate

thx for the continuing advice guys, very much appreciated. I have my music stored in FLAC for home use and I have used dbpoweramp to convert to WMA and ALAC for use in the car . Dbpoweramp is a great product for accurate ripping CD's and converting to just about any audio file format ...

David