Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

1st Gen GS, Steering wheel shakes when braking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 08:20 AM
fstlane
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st Gen GS, Steering wheel shakes when braking.

1994 Lexus GS300. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be detailed in describing the problem.

It's not a violent shake, but it is noticeable that the steering wheel shakes left and right, as I'm braking at highway speeds, or from highway speeds. The car has always done this since I bought it two years ago roughly. It went away after I replaced the steering rack, which at the same time I installed Supra brakes all the way around.

Shortly after installing everything I fell asleep while driving and hit a curb pretty hard. After this I had everything driver side suspension wise changed. However, I'm not 100% sure if the shop changed the tie rods though. I have since changed the rotors on the front, as I thought that was the problem. It did lessen the problem, but it has since returned.

One other thing I have noticed when I was under the car, one of the mounting points on the lower front subframe/engine cradle appears to be bad. I can see and feel sometimes while driving something moving on the front end. I'm not sure how really to describe it but I'm thinking that when I hit the curb I destroyed one of the bushings in that subframe, and it's allowing it to move in that area. I can see that it's moved in that area because the paint on the subframe is worn away where the bolt head was tightened against it, and no longer in the same position. The other three appear to be fine.

Just wanting to get an idea of what I'm in for. I am planning an engine swap soon, so I was thinking about trying to replace the bad bushing then. But damn those bushings aren't cheap from Lexus.

Thanks for any help!!

P.S. Pic of subframe for reference.

Last edited by fstlane; 05-24-12 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 05-24-12, 09:35 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Well, first course of action would be to check the rest of the front end for tightness... I can provide you ways to check if you aren't familiar, but they have definitely been posted here previous times...

Tie rod ends, ball joints, and control arm bushings are all items to be checked, and then, definitely have the alignment checked...

One other thing - have the brakes inspected and check the runout on them...