Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

WOW ... am I getting banged in the head?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 10:08 AM
VA380
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation WOW ... am I getting banged in the head?

First off, I own a 2002 LS430 ... I noticed that the suspension height of my rear seems to be off a little bit ... I didn't think anything of it, simply thinking that the height sensors needed to be adjusted. So I take it to my local Lexus dealership for a diagnostic ... they come back with this:

* Height control sensors are reading incorrect values ... found no damaged sensor links ... front sensors are non adjustable but the difference is 6 degrees between them ... rear sensors are adjustable but the difference of 20 degrees is too much to adjust out ...

* Recommend replacing 4 height control sensors and set the ride height.

* The estimate they gave me is $1,934.00 .... UNBELIEVABLE!

* I had been riding my car in High Mode ... I finally took my car in to get looked at so I could ride in Normal Mode ... the car rides absolutely smooth, no abnormalities at all with the ride ... so I find all of this absolutely preposterous. I just bought the vehicle from JM Lexus down in Florida in June ... so, I'm not really sure what to do other than obviously getting a second opinion.

** Could simply resetting the computer help with my issue ... I find it hard to believe that I need ALL 4 HEIGHT SENSORS REPLACED ... that just seems ludicrous.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-06-08, 02:48 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is your car is Pre owne cert? That's weird to have 4 height sensors go bad at the same time.
Old 10-06-08, 03:42 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I would definately inquire about whether your car is a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned), or if there is an extended warranty of any kind. I honestly doubt that all 4 sensors can go bad at once. There may be one bad, maybe two.. but not all 4. Are there any codes stored in the system?
Old 10-06-08, 04:30 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you live in North VA and now the weather is getting cold. The dealer may need to look into some small animal that may nest inside the engine bay and eat up the wires..... Don't laugh, happened all the time in GA when the weather getting cooler and you will see a lot of no start, CEL on, ABS light, and so on... but turned out to be our little friend need some place warm to keep themself comfort.
Old 10-06-08, 07:36 PM
VA380
Rookie

Appreciate the responses ... to answer some of your questions:

* No, It's wasn't CPO because it had a little over 70,000 miles when I purchased it. 71,200 to be exact ... dealership gave me 3 months/3k miles ... 1k of that was driving back to Virginia, lol.

* Hopefully animals aren't eating up my wires, lol ... it's garage kept if that matters.

* What do you mean by codes being stored? I honestly have zero knowledge on that ... how would I go about finding that out?

My main concern is this ... if all 4 of my sensors were "bad" then wouldn't the car drive like crap? I called my older brother and he said there's no way all 4 are bad. He said the car would have major issues with driving/handling. Not only that, the car is apparently "normal" according to the dealership when I ride in High Mode ... so shouldn't High Mode be off as well if all 4 of the sensors were bad?

There is only 1 local Lexus dealership within 60 miles, so possibly they are just stroking me on this.
Old 10-07-08, 03:56 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

i have seen it happen before, and air suspension problems are unfortulately too common with the LS4 and again unfortunate...very costly. there is a company that makes the struts and sensors aftermarket... cant remember the name of it though.

FWIW, my dad used to have a lincoln with air susp...went it went bad it was $4000 to repair..dad traded the car in and never looked back.

There is only 1 local Lexus dealership within 60 miles, so possibly they are just stroking me on this.
Is there a toyota dealership? take it there...or take it to an indie mech. labor rates will be cheaper at both places. as will parts cause the indie and toyota can get them cheaper.
Old 10-07-08, 05:52 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yup... no reason an independent repair shop can't do the work... Without doing some research, I don't know how much adjustment the rears are supposed to have, but it seems like you might be able to get it closer, possibly close enough to get it working correctly... Many technicians (especially those at dealers, no offense to anyone here, I'm sure you are more thorough) are very quick to throw parts at a car...

It seems as all vehicles, no matter the make or model, with air suspension, are excessively expensive to repair if there is a failure in that system... There are aftermarket companies that rebuild the bags and such, but they are still pricey... Next time ya seen a Expedition ridin low in the back (think slammed), it's an air bag problem, almost every Lincoln made had air suspension at the tune of about $500 / corner per airbag from the dealer, not to mention the pumps, level sensors, etc... (on those it's so bad, there is a company that makes drop in replacement shocks/springs to get rid of the air suspension)
Old 10-07-08, 06:26 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those height sensors are really expensive, around $360 each so that makes up a big portion of your quote.

Did they list any diagnostic codes they pulled from the computer? It would be something like P0172, PXXXX format. I agree with the others that all 4 sensors aren't bad. I would definitely get a second opinion from an independent shop.
Old 10-07-08, 06:52 AM
big_blzr94
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i bought my LS the right rear was over a inch lower than the rest of the car. I just raised the car on my alignment rack blocked wheels car running in neutral with parking brake off and adjusted right and left rear first to level the car. There is plenty of adjustment to get the car straight. Then i went onto the front and lowered the ride height 1 inch. IT is all still in factory specs. just on the lower side of the specs. The ride is wonderful as is should be. It is easy to see if the front is adjustable by turning the wheel and look in from the front find the small turn buckle and look to see if there are little 10mm lock nut on the top and bottom. All LS ultras i have worked on have adjustments all the way around and i see a lot in my shop being in Newport. I hope this helps you can adjust on a level ground just be sure to block the wheels so she won't roll away.
Old 10-07-08, 07:55 PM
VA380
Rookie

Interesting ... I'm mechanically illiterate so unfortunately "big_blzr94" I doubt I'll be doing that ... I do have an Ultra though.

* "LexLS" ... they didn't say anything to me about any codes ...

* Yeah, there are a few Toyota dealerships around so I will contact them and see about a 2nd/3rd opinion ...

* And yeah, each sensor is approx. $367.22 each ... but I can get each one for $285 from an OEM Lexus parts store online (plus a 10% discount using an October promotional code).

I just don't think it's an option to pay that much though ... the car drives fine, and the car visibly looks perfect, no leaning, or anything like that.
Old 10-08-08, 06:38 AM
vcheng
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try cleaning the sensors. Take each one of them out (it is quite simple and can be done by any decent shop). Have them check the resistance. I think (I am not sure, so please double check) the resitance should vary between 0.4 to 4.5 ohms when the sensor is put through its range of motion. It is unlikely that all four of your sensors are bad. When you find the bad one(s), open them up and clean the contacts and recheck. You just might get lucky.