Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

lexus brake question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-05, 08:04 PM
jazba
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus brake question...

I have a 2001 rx300 i just bought and i noticed a sound today coming from the rear. Its a metal to metal suealing sound. The sound occurs whenever the wheels are in motion. I was wondering, could that be the warning for brake pads or bad rotors?
Old 07-06-05, 06:07 AM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by arey kya
I have a 2001 rx300 i just bought and i noticed a sound today coming from the rear. Its a metal to metal suealing sound. The sound occurs whenever the wheels are in motion. I was wondering, could that be the warning for brake pads or bad rotors?
That's exactly what it is. If you do not hear it when you are actually braking, you are OK. But I would get those brakes looked at ASAP.
Old 07-06-05, 09:28 AM
jazba
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmahamm
That's exactly what it is. If you do not hear it when you are actually braking, you are OK. But I would get those brakes looked at ASAP.

Thanks. I just bought it so im just going ot take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

But is is the brakes? or rotors? When i press on the brakes....it seems to quite the noise down abit
Old 07-06-05, 09:43 AM
Jeff@Longo
Driver School Candidate

If you feel the car shaking while braking at highway speeds (55+) then it is rotor related. You can determine if it's front or rear by a simple feeling. If the steering wheel vibrates when braking at high speeds, the front rotors either need to be machined or replaced. If the wheel doesn't shake, then the rear ones are to blame. Rotors can only be machined so many times (and warp faster once it's metal to metal) so should get it checked ASAP to salvage the rotors.

The squeal while driving sounds odd to me. Usually the noise increases as the brakes are applied.

Good luck!
Old 07-06-05, 01:25 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by arey kya
Thanks. I just bought it so im just going ot take it back to the dealer and have them fix it.

But is it the brakes? or rotors? When i press on the brakes....it seems to quite the noise down abit
It's brakes, not rotors. They have wear indicators that are designed to make that noise when you are NOT braking, when the pads wear down to a certain level. That way the sound is almost constant, and it bugs the heck out of you and makes you say to yourself, "This sounds bad, I better get it fixed," before it is too late.

In my experience, the sound goes away when you hit the brakes. If it is merely lessened when you hit the brakes, it is wise that you are getting it looked at right away.

Depending on your driving habits and conditions, you may have 500, 1,000, or 5000 miles to go before you are metal to metal, and if you got it to that point, then you would require new rotors, at more expense. But right now, if you don't hear it when you hit the brakes, your rotors have probably not been damaged.

Whether it will be covered by your used car warranty depends upon the deal you struck, certified programs, local laws where you live, and the individual dealer's policies. Good luck. a dealer should not sell a car that has brakes that are about to go, certified or not.

Last edited by mmahamm; 07-06-05 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-09-05, 08:59 AM
jazba
Rookie

Originally Posted by mmahamm
It's brakes, not rotors. They have wear indicators that are designed to make that noise when you are NOT braking, when the pads wear down to a certain level. That way the sound is almost constant, and it bugs the heck out of you and makes you say to yourself, "This sounds bad, I better get it fixed," before it is too late.

In my experience, the sound goes away when you hit the brakes. If it is merely lessened when you hit the brakes, it is wise that you are getting it looked at right away.

Depending on your driving habits and conditions, you may have 500, 1,000, or 5000 miles to go before you are metal to metal, and if you got it to that point, then you would require new rotors, at more expense. But right now, if you don't hear it when you hit the brakes, your rotors have probably not been damaged.

Whether it will be covered by your used car warranty depends upon the deal you struck, certified programs, local laws where you live, and the individual dealer's policies. Good luck. a dealer should not sell a car that has brakes that are about to go, certified or not.
Yep, it was just rear brake pads. Dealer replaced the pads for me and i was set in an hour. One hell of a warning sound though lol