Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Problems galore

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-05, 01:04 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems galore

Problem #1: Ok it wasn't a good idea to wait this long, but, like they say, better late than never. I've had this ongoing power-steering leak power for quite some time now (atleast more than half a year). I've brought it to several mechanics but they can't seem to pinpoint where exactly the power steering fluid is leaking from. One says that it's coming from the Power Steering pump, another says it's coming from the power steering pressure hose. Either way, they're both outrageously priced (ball park numbers: $800 for hose and $1000+ for the pump). I wanna know, are these guys ripping me off here? I can't imagine how a seemingly simple piece of equipment can be this high-priced. I tried the junkyard but none of them have either pieces available.

Problem #2: I recently just opened my hood and found dried up anti freeze that seemed to have leaked out of its container. Along with that, there seemed to be some kind of explosion, because there is some kind of dried up white stuff splattered all over the engine and the other parts. I don't know what is going on. I've changed oil every 3000 like I'm supposed to, but, it seems like everything's falling apart.

Problem #3: I can't stand my right-side mirror anymore. It is NOT the original mirror that came with the car. Somebody stole it during the early part of my ownership, so I had it replaced at the junkyard with one of those all purpose mirrors that was cut out to fit the shape of my original mirror. The problem with this mirror is it does not give me that "long distant" view, objects are appear to the distance they're supposed to be! Plus, they do not have the dimming effect at night like the original does.

I guess there's nothign I can do about all this but bring it to the mechanic, but, I'd just like to get an idea of what I should ACTUALLY be paying for these things. I don't want to pay more than I actually have to. Thanks in advance, guys. I'm sorry, I realize I know little about maintenaince, but, that's what I'm here for isn't it?
Old 05-05-05, 09:45 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#2- Dont fill your coolant resevior all the way to the top and that wont happen. My parents do it all the time to their cars and it pisses me off.

#3- look in the classified section and you'll probably find the OEM mirror that you need for your car
Old 05-05-05, 11:40 AM
Billh2
Pole Position

Might help if we knew exactally which Lexus we are talking about. (Year, model etc)
Old 05-05-05, 03:43 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Billh2
Might help if we knew exactally which Lexus we are talking about. (Year, model etc)

oy vey! I apologize. I was so in-depth with the problems that I completely ignored the most vital information. I own a 95' SC400.
Old 05-05-05, 03:47 PM
PxH_83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by got_trd
#2- Dont fill your coolant resevior all the way to the top and that wont happen. My parents do it all the time to their cars and it pisses me off.

#3- look in the classified section and you'll probably find the OEM mirror that you need for your car
Thanks, my man. I think that's what I did with the reservoir. I overloaded with the anti-freeze.
Old 05-05-05, 03:58 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey welcome to CL

the coolant tank has levels

you should never have to add coolant to the radiator directly

you should come to FBF in brooklyn

big meet
Old 05-05-05, 04:34 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sound like a rip off but those parts aren't cheap to start with. Junk yard would not be the choice for those parts for me.